logo

The ConnectWise Control forum has moved to ConnectWise University! This forum has been locked and is in read-only mode. Click here for instructions on how to access the new forum.

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Groupers  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2016 2:48:54 PM(UTC)
Groupers

United States

I really have very little knowledge of Active Directory and need some help. I have a domain controller running on the same machine I have ScreenConnect 5.5 installed on and I switched the security to Active Directory and then ran a test of a couple users and it returned the results I expected. I then logged out of SC and tried to log back in and was presented with an error, after refreshing the page I get an error even at the login screen. I've tried restarting the service and don't know where to go from here.

Here's the error
Quote:
Server Error in '/' Application.

The (&(objectCategory=user)(objectClass=user)(|(userPrincipalName=)(distinguishedName=)(name=))) search filter is invalid.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: The (&(objectCategory=user)(objectClass=user)(|(userPrincipalName=)(distinguishedName=)(name=))) search filter is invalid.

Source Error:

The source code that generated this unhandled exception can only be shown when compiled in debug mode. To enable this, please follow one of the below steps, then request the URL:

1. Add a "Debug=true" directive at the top of the file that generated the error. Example:

<%@ Page Language="C#" Debug="true" %>

or:

2) Add the following section to the configuration file of your application:

<configuration>
<system.web>
<compilation debug="true"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Note that this second technique will cause all files within a given application to be compiled in debug mode. The first technique will cause only that particular file to be compiled in debug mode.

Important: Running applications in debug mode does incur a memory/performance overhead. You should make sure that an application has debugging disabled before deploying into production scenario.

Stack Trace:

[ArgumentException: The (&(objectCategory=user)(objectClass=user)(|(userPrincipalName=)(distinguishedName=)(name=))) search filter is invalid.]
System.DirectoryServices.ResultsEnumerator.MoveNext() +302109
System.DirectoryServices.SearchResultCollection.get_InnerList() +129
System.DirectoryServices.SearchResultCollection.get_Count() +9
System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.ADStoreCtx.FindPrincipalByIdentRefHelper(Type principalType, String urnScheme, String urnValue, DateTime referenceDate, Boolean useSidHistory) +1323
System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.ADStoreCtx.FindPrincipalByIdentRef(Type principalType, String urnScheme, String urnValue, DateTime referenceDate) +52
System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.Principal.FindByIdentityWithTypeHelper(PrincipalContext context, Type principalType, Nullable`1 identityType, String identityValue, DateTime refDate) +157
System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.Principal.FindByIdentityWithType(PrincipalContext context, Type principalType, String identityValue) +73
System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.UserPrincipal.FindByIdentity(PrincipalContext context, String identityValue) +28
ScreenConnect.WindowsMembershipProvider.QueryRolesForUser(String userName) +60
ScreenConnect.SimpleReadOnlyMembershipProvider`1.GetRolesForUser(String userName, Boolean useCache) +90
ScreenConnect.<>c__DisplayClass7_0.<GetRolesForUser>b__0(IRoleMembershipProvider _) +21
ScreenConnect.Extensions.SafeNav(T obj, Func`2 selector, U defaultValue) +20
ScreenConnect.MembershipWebAuthenticationProvider.GetRolesForUser(WebAuthenticationInfo webAuthenticationInfo) +182
ScreenConnect.WebAuthenticationPrincipal.GetRoles() +18
ScreenConnect.<>c.<GetEntriesForUser>b__16_0(IWebPrincipal _) +10
ScreenConnect.Extensions.SafeNav(T obj, Func`2 selector, U defaultValue) +20
ScreenConnect.Permissions.GetEntriesForUser() +173
ScreenConnect.Permissions.HasPermission(PermissionRequest request) +10
ScreenConnect.MasterPage.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +698
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +59
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +131
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2952

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.6.1069.1

Groupers  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2016 3:02:29 PM(UTC)
Groupers

United States

After clearing browser cache I can view the login page again but on any login attempt I get the same error, regardless of which user I try to login as. If I enter invalid credentials it says "Your login attempt was not successful: Invalid user name. Please try again."

Enabling debug provides some more info

Quote:

Source Error:

Line 7: base.OnLoad(e);
Line 8:
Line 9: var permissionEntries = Permissions.GetEntriesForUser();
Line 10: Permissions.AssertAnyPermission(permissionEntries);
Line 11:

Source File: c:\Program Files (x86)\ScreenConnect\Host.aspx Line: 9

Changing the SC services user to the local administrator account results in this

Quote:

Source Error:

Line 33: WebAuthentication.TryRenewLoginContext(this.Context);
Line 34:
Line 35: this.Page.AddFormlessScriptContent("SC.util.mergeIntoContext({0:json});", new
Line 36: {
Line 37: deferLoad = (this.Page.Form == null),

Source File: c:\Program Files (x86)\ScreenConnect\Default.master Line: 35

Edited by user Wednesday, June 29, 2016 4:57:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Scott  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2016 6:50:48 PM(UTC)
Scott

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 351 time(s) in 303 post(s)
For the user object you're using, is there a user principal named defined for it within the AD?
ScreenConnect Team
thanks 1 user thanked Scott for this useful post.
Groupers on 6/30/2016(UTC)
Groupers  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2016 12:40:55 PM(UTC)
Groupers

United States

Originally Posted by: Scott Go to Quoted Post
For the user object you're using, is there a user principal named defined for it within the AD?

There wasn't and adding one solved the problem! Thanks.