logo

The ConnectWise Control forum has moved to ConnectWise University! This forum has been locked and is in read-only mode. Click here for instructions on how to access the new forum.

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RandySaler  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 19, 2016 5:26:14 PM(UTC)
RandySaler

United States

We have sales people throughout the country. Every once in a while when they let one of them go, they do not return the computer equipment. We would like the ability to lock down the system so it is of no use and they cannot access the data stored on them. I saw a post where someone wanted an email notification when someone logs in and was wondering if we could take that a step further and have the trigger connect, reset the password and log out the system or some other means of locking down the system even when the tech is not available?
Thanks, Randy

Scott  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2016 2:09:26 PM(UTC)
Scott

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 351 time(s) in 303 post(s)
You could, in theory, create a Toolbox item that does all of the tasks you mentioned. After creating it, you could use a Trigger to then detect when a specific (or several) sessions connect and then automatically execute the Toolbox item against the remote machine.

There's a bit more info on Triggers here.
ScreenConnect Team
KBrownConsulting  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 15, 2016 5:13:08 AM(UTC)
KBrownConsulting

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 5 post(s)
This got me thinking... what about the Commands feature?

How does ScreenConnect handle commands that are issued to clients when they are offline? I would hope it queues them & executes them immediately when the machine comes online.

I believe this is how it works based on past use but maybe someone from SC could weigh in?

Assuming commands are queued & executed when the client comes online, then you could simply write a script that does everything you want (disabling accounts, deleting files, etc) host it somewhere that's publicly available & have the client download & execute the script by issuing the following command to the client:

Code:
#timeout=720000
powershell (New-Object Net.WebClient).DownloadFile('https://www.example.com/SecurityLockdown.bat', '%tmp%\SecurityLockdown.bat')
%tmp%\SecurityLockdown.bat

If you wanted to get a little more feedback on the success or failure of this procedure, you could write your script so it generates a log of it's actions & then echo that log right to the ScreenConnect command window so you could see the success/failure of each operation in the script. In that case, assuming the script creates its log file in %tmp%\SecurityLockdown.bat.log just replace the code above with this:

Code:
#timeout=720000
powershell (New-Object Net.WebClient).DownloadFile('https://www.example.com/SecurityLockdown.bat', '%tmp%\SecurityLockdown.bat')
%tmp%\SecurityLockdown.bat & del %tmp%\SecurityLockdown.bat & type %tmp%\SecurityLockdown.bat.log

I also threw in deleting the SecurityLockdown.bat file in this last example.

Maybe it's just because I haven't worked with triggers yet, but to me, using the Commands functionality would be a much easier solution so I would really love to hear back from someone at SC about how commands issued to offline clients are handled.
Scott  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2016 2:34:37 PM(UTC)
Scott

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 351 time(s) in 303 post(s)
Quote:
How does ScreenConnect handle commands that are issued to clients when they are offline?
I touch on this briefly here.

You are correct, it queues them and executes them when the machine connects unless another event takes its position in the queue.
ScreenConnect Team