logo

The ConnectWise Control forum has moved to ConnectWise University! This forum has been locked and is in read-only mode. Click here for instructions on how to access the new forum.

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ak  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2010 11:02:19 AM(UTC)
ak

ScreenConnect Team: Plugins have been replaced by Extensions. View "Developing for ScreenConnect" on our help site for details.

Hi, it would be good to have some clear guidelines how far we can go with customization. The EULA states that no modifications are allowed. But as I can see the fact that ScreenConnect can be customized beyond just what is provided in the UI is its strong point and very welcomed by the customers. So, how far can we go, if we can at all? Can I re-compile the client software if I need to add a custom feature? This is actually exactly what I need, I don’t mind the license fees but I need to make it work for my business.

Edited by moderator Wednesday, September 3, 2014 5:38:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jake  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2010 12:45:18 PM(UTC)
Jake

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

Was thanked: 393 time(s) in 188 post(s)
You would need the client application source code to recompile it. That has been out of reach financially for most people looking to integrate. Lawyers involved, etc. You would probably mind these license fees ;)

We do offer a plugin model for integrating into our client apps, but for your plugin to be deployed, you need to rebuild and resign the ClickOnce manifests which requires a code-signing certificate (~$75). I have a video that is a little outdated, but shows a plugin being built.

Any other customization is fair game, but keep in mind upgrading becomes considerably more difficult with complex customization, especially when done poorly. Also any attempt (regardless of your success) to circumvent licensing is prohibited.
ScreenConnect Team
Jake  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2010 12:58:54 PM(UTC)
Jake

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

Was thanked: 393 time(s) in 188 post(s)

Edited by user Friday, November 19, 2010 12:59:32 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ScreenConnect Team
ak  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2010 5:26:29 PM(UTC)
ak

Jake, thanks for the quick response. It’s good to know that at least we have those options. I will try the plugin first and if it won’t work I will contact support for the details on option one. Where can I get the SDK for the plugin or some kind of description?
ak  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2010 6:17:56 PM(UTC)
ak

And if ScreenConnect won’t mind us adopting the client software to our needs beyond the plugin, we will figure out with the source…:) But eventually it would need to be formally approved.
Essentially, we need to pass certain identifiers to our servers to match with the host session when the client starts and suppress the visual effects on the client making them on demand of the operator.