logo

The ConnectWise Control forum has moved to ConnectWise University! This forum has been locked and is in read-only mode. Click here for instructions on how to access the new forum.

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
normva  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 3, 2015 2:34:11 PM(UTC)
normva

United States

I need instructions to connect to client with Lubuntu 15.04, kernal 3.19

I am not terribly proficient in Linux, so details on installing files would be helpful. I have used Package installer and Terminal, but could use extra help installing downloaded packages. I have tried some of the information currently posted, but I am not having success.

I have the clients computer, so I can do the necessary setup for her.

Thank you,
Norm

Edited by user Monday, August 3, 2015 2:46:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ckibodeaux  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 4, 2015 4:42:54 AM(UTC)
ckibodeaux

Medals: Bug Buster Level Two: Bugs are more afraid of you than you are of them...ScreenConnect Advisor: Focus Group MemberLevel 3: Shirt off your back! Received 25 Thanks!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Are you asking about the remote access client? If so, you need to download either the .deb or .sh file. Once it's downloaded, open a terminal and change to that directory.

For .deb file:
Quote:
sudo dpkg -i client.deb

For .sh file:
Quote:
sudo sh client.sh
normva  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 4, 2015 5:29:33 PM(UTC)
normva

United States

Thank you for the reply. However, I am unable to find a site to download the .deb or .sh file.

Nothing on ScreenConnect website.

I tried to get the file using the Terminal, but got the following result:

sharon@sharon-Inspiron-6000:~$ sudo dpkg -i ScreenConnect.ClientSetup.deb
[sudo] password for sharon:
dpkg: error processing archive ScreenConnect.ClientSetup.deb (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
ScreenConnect.ClientSetup.deb
ckibodeaux  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 5, 2015 4:46:10 AM(UTC)
ckibodeaux

Medals: Bug Buster Level Two: Bugs are more afraid of you than you are of them...ScreenConnect Advisor: Focus Group MemberLevel 3: Shirt off your back! Received 25 Thanks!

Man
United States

First, lets login to ScreenConnect (SC) and navigate to the host page.

On the left hand side where you navigate various session types, you should see a heading that states "Access". Normally it's the last section unless you have done customization to move it. Next to access you should see a plus (+) sign. Click that.

It will bring up a build installer. Set your hostname & custom properties as needed, what you want to pay attention to is the option of "Type". Here is where you select what type of operating system this is going to. Being that we are using a Debian based system, we will grab the .deb file. Press download. Remember where you saved the file and the filename.

Where did you save the file? If you saved it on the client, then you can skip this step. If you downloaded it on another machine or onto a USB drive, then you need to move the file to your client machine.

On the client machine, use terminal to open the directory where the file is saved. Follow instructions from previous post. Replace "client.deb" filename in command with the actual filename you used in the download.
thanks 1 user thanked ckibodeaux for this useful post.
normva on 8/5/2015(UTC)
normva  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 5, 2015 6:13:27 PM(UTC)
normva

United States

Ckibodeaux: Thank you so much. I followed your instructions and have it working. Appreciate your patience.

Norm
normva  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 5, 2015 8:55:01 PM(UTC)
normva

United States

The file ran and I was able to connect, but once I ended the session, I can no longer connect.
ckibodeaux  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 6, 2015 4:29:25 AM(UTC)
ckibodeaux

Man
United States

When finish with the session, you need only close the window. By pressing the end button, you have caused the computer to be removed from your SC panel and the services on the client machine to be stopped.

There are some suggestions and steps located on this thread.
normva  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 6, 2015 11:23:27 AM(UTC)
normva

United States

Originally Posted by: ckibodeaux Go to Quoted Post
When finish with the session, you need only close the window. By pressing the end button, you have caused the computer to be removed from your SC panel and the services on the client machine to be stopped.

There are some suggestions and steps located on this thread.

I reviewed the thread on ending unattended sessions and it sounds like I stepped into an open manhole. Also, since you cannot end the session, I would be required to maintain a separate license for this client. This is not what I want to do. With my clients, I open a support session when I am helping them and close it when I am done. I have a small business with only one license.

What would be suggestions at this point?

Thanks,
Norm
ckibodeaux  
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 6, 2015 12:40:18 PM(UTC)
ckibodeaux

Man
United States

Norm, I sent you a PM with a phone number. I'm not a member of SC staff, but we have used the software about 2 years now and I would be glad to help you understand a bit of the product from a technician stand point if you'd like. There are many support options that you can offer your customers.

UPDATE 01 - Licensing works per connection. You could have 100's of access sessions and none would tie up your license. When you actually connect to a machine is when your license gets used.

Personally I find that with customers who don't understand technology well (like my older clients) installing an access client on their machine saves lots of time. They call/email and say what's wrong and you connect to the machine and help/fix the issue. To make them feel more comfortable you can set in security that the customer has to grant you permission to connect each time, even though you have an access client.

Another popular method of offering support to those who are capable of using a browser and following instructions is to use the support sessions. This gets set up each time a customer needs support. You could put a link on the desktop that brings them to your SC guest page where they can put in a support code that you generate for them.

Edited by user Thursday, August 6, 2015 1:00:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Update 01