logo

The ConnectWise Control forum has moved to ConnectWise University! This forum has been locked and is in read-only mode. Click here for instructions on how to access the new forum.

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
philpre  
#51 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2015 5:43:01 AM(UTC)
philpre

United States

+1 for making this optional/on demand.
Farley  
#52 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2015 6:15:06 AM(UTC)
Farley

+1 We need options to enable by default or on demand. I would not like it enabled every time but occasionally it would be nice to have the option to enable remote printing while in a session.
liddlem  
#53 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2015 8:37:54 AM(UTC)
liddlem

It needs to be optional. All quiet for too long. Please provide a status update on this. It is affecting a significant number of your clients and the lack of information is not helping.
porschekenz  
#54 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2015 5:55:12 PM(UTC)
porschekenz

United States

Originally Posted by: magixpc Go to Quoted Post
+1

Mine is also leaving behind the printers on the machines, sometimes 2 or 3 copies.

Same issue. Major issue for customers.
abeauchamp  
#55 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2015 6:12:55 PM(UTC)
abeauchamp

United States

Good afternoon,

Can we get some comment from either Jeff or someone else at ScreenConnect on the status of this.

There seems to be overwhelming support from the customer base to make this an on demand setting, of an option to turn on only if wanted and disabled system wide.
zx81  
#56 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2015 8:39:20 PM(UTC)
zx81

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
+1 for on demand, or removed from 5.2
candulj  
#57 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2015 1:08:12 AM(UTC)
candulj

Man
United States

+1 please allow us to disable or enable this feature on demand. Thanks guys. Joe
Thank you,
Joe
bnx2014  
#58 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2015 1:43:09 PM(UTC)
bnx2014

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Ouch! On my PC I have a load of printers that would not be good to have appear on any remote PC even temporarily. That gives away quite a lot of information to people who don't need to know. Even if optional, I'd want to specifically "publish" a particular printer that I want to be labelled generically remotely. I have never wanted to do anything like print anyway - I'd just transfer the file and print here.

+1 for optional/removal.
Scott  
#59 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2015 7:48:41 PM(UTC)
Scott

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 351 time(s) in 303 post(s)
We're definitely not ignoring this thread, we really do our best to listen to everything everyone has to say. We've just implemented the DisableRemotePrinting web.config setting which disables remote printing feature. It's not present in that file by default, but you can add it to the appSetting section (same section as WebServerListenUri and RelayListenUri) with the following:

Code:

<add key="DisableRemotePrinting" value="true" />

Please note that you do have to be running version 5.2.8694+ for that setting to take affect (the server has to know to look for it).

Right now that disables remote printing globally, we're still trying to find the best way of making it selectable/on-demand but I don't have an ETA on when that will be available.
ScreenConnect Team
thanks 5 users thanked Scott for this useful post.
Jesseb on 3/19/2015(UTC), ddre on 3/19/2015(UTC), JasonY on 3/20/2015(UTC), codypperson on 3/24/2015(UTC), ebell on 6/26/2015(UTC)
Jesseb  
#60 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2015 7:59:02 PM(UTC)
Jesseb

Medals: ScreenConnect Advisor: Focus Group MemberLevel 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Scott Go to Quoted Post
We're definitely not ignoring this thread, we really do our best to listen to everything everyone has to say. We've just implemented the DisableRemotePrinting web.config setting which disables remote printing feature. It's not present in that file by default, but you can add it to the appSetting section (same section as WebServerListenUri and RelayListenUri) with the following:

Code:

Please note that you do have to be running version 5.2.8694+ for that setting to take affect (the server has to know to look for it).

Right now that disables remote printing globally, we're still trying to find the best way of making it selectable/on-demand but I don't have an ETA on when that will be available.

Thank you so very much!!
zx81  
#61 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2015 6:22:46 PM(UTC)
zx81

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Thank you for listen us :)
Omnicef  
#62 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2015 6:49:14 PM(UTC)
Omnicef

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Code:

I added this to my web.config and none of the clients could connect to the server? Any idea what went wrong? As soon as I took it out everything could connect again. Version 5.2.8694.5556

Edited by user Friday, March 20, 2015 6:51:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Scott  
#63 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2015 6:53:41 PM(UTC)
Scott

United States

Can you PM me your web.config with the setting in the file (as it appeared when nothing would connect)?
ScreenConnect Team
Graeme  
#64 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2015 12:37:15 PM(UTC)
Graeme

Medals: ScreenConnect Advisor: Focus Group MemberLevel 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
A member of my team just noticed this after 3 days of using the new version. This really should have been set to disabled by default with an option to add your printers if you need them.

I can't believe you guys would make this an "always on" feature it doesn't make any sense.

This is a really useful function and I'm glad to see it has made its way into ScreenConnect, but please disable by default and add option to the toolbar ASAP.

Edited by user Monday, March 23, 2015 12:37:50 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

abeauchamp  
#65 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2015 1:31:30 PM(UTC)
abeauchamp

United States

Thanks for adding in the option to disable the feature globally.

Looking forward to the final solution that will allow on demand remote printing.

Thanks again.
omgoozles  
#66 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2015 11:45:17 PM(UTC)
omgoozles

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Omnicef Go to Quoted Post

Code:

I added this to my web.config and none of the clients could connect to the server? Any idea what went wrong? As soon as I took it out everything could connect again. Version 5.2.8694.5556

Same thing just happened to me. Ugh. And I only upgraded because of this key. Crap.

EDIT: Except changing it back hasn't fixed my issue...now no clients can connect at all. Wonderful.

Edited by user Monday, March 23, 2015 11:50:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rgreen83  
#67 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2015 11:50:28 PM(UTC)
rgreen83

United States

Good to know this wasn't just me that it broke! I tried adding it ahead of time to the web.config while still on 5.1 before upgrading and it broke everything, I thought it was because I was still on 5.1 though (I assumed the setting would be ignored in the earlier version). I will continue eating popcorn until this issue is straightened out though I'm anxious to upgrade for some of the other features and bug fixes.
omgoozles  
#68 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2015 12:31:28 AM(UTC)
omgoozles

Originally Posted by: rgreen83 Go to Quoted Post
Good to know this wasn't just me that it broke! I tried adding it ahead of time to the web.config while still on 5.1 before upgrading and it broke everything, I thought it was because I was still on 5.1 though (I assumed the setting would be ignored in the earlier version). I will continue eating popcorn until this issue is straightened out though I'm anxious to upgrade for some of the other features and bug fixes.

I had to do a repair install to get it working and now it appears to be good...with the remote printing disable.
Omnicef  
#69 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2015 2:03:34 AM(UTC)
Omnicef

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Omnicef Go to Quoted Post

Code:

I got it to work.

I added this:

<add key="DisableRemotePrinting" value="true">
</add>
lwolf  
#70 Posted : Friday, March 27, 2015 5:16:16 PM(UTC)
lwolf

United States

I have been watching this thread with much interest. I wanted to update to the latest version in order to fix an issue with blacking out screens on remote computers running Windows 8. But I did not want to introduce the problems being discussed here with remote printing.

While working on another issue, I ended up browsing the online help file for List of web.config settings
http://help.screenconnec...t_of_web.config_settings

I noticed a new setting for "DisableRemotePrinting", If set to "true," disables the Remote Printing feature in 5.2+. The I realized I had not scrolled to the end of the thread, and see this feature has been discussed in the latest posts.

Have others tried to upgrade to the latest version, with this feature enabled? If so, what was the experience? Does it seem to solve the problem? Any upgrade issues?

Warm Regards,

Lloyd

Edited by user Friday, March 27, 2015 5:19:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Zlika  
#71 Posted : Friday, March 27, 2015 5:24:56 PM(UTC)
Zlika

France

I have updated to the latest (so far!) 5.2 version, and inserted the disableremoteprinting setting.
Does what it's supposed to ;-)

RVa.
Zlika  
#72 Posted : Friday, March 27, 2015 5:30:33 PM(UTC)
Zlika

France

For the record, here is the exact way it looks in my web.config file :
<add key="IsRelayTrafficRouted" value="false" />
<add key="IsSetup" value="true" />
RVa.
thanks 1 user thanked Zlika for this useful post.
HITCS on 5/15/2015(UTC)
Jhuggins@bluzonepc.com  
#73 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2015 5:22:42 PM(UTC)
Jhuggins@bluzonepc.com

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I suspect the Screenconnect peeps are getting out of touch with their user base.

This is a fairly troublesome "feature' that should have tripped warning flags before it got to production.

Many of us simply trust Screenconnect to put out useful updates that do not break the trust we have with our clients.

I just upgraded to 5.2 without paying too much attention to the release notes.

While I will admit the printing feature may be useful in some specific cases, it is not universally useful.

It has caused several headaches in the last 12 hours trying to figure out what on earth is doing this to our clients.

+1 for this feature to be disabled by default, enabled on a per-choice basis.
dwmcclung  
#74 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2015 5:49:56 PM(UTC)
dwmcclung

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Yeah, this was a bit of a shock the first time after updating and seeing my own printers on the machine I was working on. For a remote support application I honestly can't see when I would ever want to use this.

Perhaps a smarter default would be to disable it for Support sessions and enable it for Access sessions.
Sean  
#75 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2015 6:19:38 PM(UTC)
Sean

Medals: Level 3: Shirt off your back! Received 25 Thanks!

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 33 post(s)
To disable remote printing, add the following entry to the web.config file's appSettings section (same section that contains WebServerListenUri and RelayListenUri):

Code:
ScreenConnect Team
thanks 2 users thanked Sean for this useful post.
ivanskie on 5/4/2015(UTC), ebell on 6/26/2015(UTC)
Graeme  
#76 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2015 8:32:52 PM(UTC)
Graeme

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
When are we likely to see an On'Off toggle for this feature?

It could be useful however like most people who use ScreenConnect as a support tool we have set this to disabled and would like the option to enable it when it is needed with a toolbar option.
JustinCredible  
#77 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2015 9:16:00 PM(UTC)
JustinCredible

+1... we're seeing our printers set as the defaults on the guest, and when we disconnect then they have no default printer set. Incredibly annoying
Splendidbiz  
#78 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2015 8:13:40 PM(UTC)
Splendidbiz

United States

I am so glad I read this thread before taking a further look at possibly purchasing ScreenConnect. I have been using NeoRouter with my clients, as they all are running pro versions of MS with RDP. It has worked fine to this point. But, screen connect "sounds" like it would be much better. Like as in just as good as the highly priced Teamviewer. But until I am sure the bugs like this are worked out, along with support from ScreenConnect on issues like this being resolved a lot faster than they were to respond on this issue, I'm holding off. I will keep an eye on it, but for right now, I'm staying where I'm at.
ivanskie  
#79 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2015 5:52:49 PM(UTC)
ivanskie

+1000000000000
Seriously?
Why would you guys believe that every single customer needs remote printing??

This is definitely a must. no brainer, should have been a disabled by default feature from the get-go.
bbbblaine  
#80 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2015 3:14:03 PM(UTC)
bbbblaine

United States

+10 (my whole department)

The fact that this "feature" was added and released without being thoroughly tested doesn't speak well for ScreenConnect. My department is more concerned with supporting end users, not remote printing, which is only increasing our support burden right now.

Not only does remote printing NOT work, it apparently can't be disabled!

We have added the code to the web config file as stated earlier in this thread. However, it causes our server to become unstable and crash, so we had to turn remote printing BACK ON!

This is ridiculous!
edefoy  
#81 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 9:00:06 PM(UTC)
edefoy

Canada

+2 for us
Anna  
#82 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2015 3:25:01 PM(UTC)
Anna

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
We've added the +1s.
ScreenConnect Team
tjgertge  
#83 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2015 7:48:14 AM(UTC)
tjgertge

+1

However this ends up getting implemented, we absolutely must have the printers disconnect once the session is over. On my clients the printers were being left behind after the session was done.

Edited by user Tuesday, May 19, 2015 7:51:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

comhome  
#84 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2015 9:32:38 PM(UTC)
comhome

Austria

+1
slam5  
#85 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2015 3:41:00 PM(UTC)
slam5

Canada

+1 for me too. Even I was confused.
jasgot  
#86 Posted : Friday, May 22, 2015 5:55:15 PM(UTC)
jasgot

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Since you are keeping a tally of responses.....

I think the remote printing is something that should have been defaulted to false. I just performed a 300+ client rollup, and the phone went nuts with unattended clients now having all these new printers with my name in parentheses after them.

How embarrassing.

Screenconnect should be ashamed of this approach. The whole premise of adding an intrusive feature like this and having it defaulted to True is ridiculous.

Now that you are owned by ConnectWise, are we going to keep seeing more "corporate knows best" changes that upset our clients?
ddre  
#87 Posted : Saturday, May 23, 2015 5:17:16 AM(UTC)
ddre

Australia

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jasgot Go to Quoted Post

Now that you are owned by ConnectWise, are we going to keep seeing more "corporate knows best" changes that upset our clients?

I hate to be one to jump on this bandwagon but ive been in the IT game long enough to see countless flawless IT businesses taken over and ruined. I really hope this isnt the case here but something is fishy about the response to this remote printing feature.

Ive been watching the development process of SC since I became a customer around v4. It had been excellent until "Remote Printing" came along. There were so many warnings about it during the development and essentially nothing was done. Many weeks on and this is still a major issue.

If SC think this isnt a major issue and isnt going to cost you dollars, let me say, my license expired just after 5.2 was released and I refused to install it. While its an ongoing issue, I also refuse to re-license.

A remote support tool is supposed to assist with resolving clients issues, not create more.
lpopejoy  
#88 Posted : Sunday, May 24, 2015 1:37:14 AM(UTC)
lpopejoy

Medals: Level 2: Lent a Helping Hand! 10 Thanks!

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I don't understand? The feature to disable this feature has been in place since production release.

Disable it (like we did) and move on with life. Apparently there were a couple people who really wanted this feature.
jonc  
#89 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2015 4:55:03 PM(UTC)
jonc

Originally Posted by: Sean Go to Quoted Post
To disable remote printing, add the following entry to the web.config file's appSettings section (same section that contains WebServerListenUri and RelayListenUri):

Code:

I added this key to the web.config file but SC wouldn't restart, so I had to remove it again.
Using 5.3

+1 to please add this feature to next release. This feature is completely useless.
mikehelps  
#90 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2015 6:45:40 PM(UTC)
mikehelps

United States

ORIGINAL POST:
Quote:
Who or what do we need to set on fire to see this fixed? My clients on a domain who had printers set by policy now cannot see their own printers, only ones shared from ScreenConnect. I'm serious about seeing this resolved. Is it time for a lawsuit?

FOLLOWUP: After a personal phone call from tech support within a few hours, and directions emailed from them, I have been able to undo the damage by editing the config file. My problem with losing printers pushed out by Group Policy was just a case of VERY bad coincidental timing, due to a completely unrelated problem that left users with only ScreenConnect shared printers. I must also confess to catastrophizing the whole situation, assuming that if a few computers are having a problem, they all must be. So far I'm just cleaning up a few ScreenConnect shared printers with failed print jobs that got stuck during the confusion.

Kudos to tech support for the quick response. I was getting discouraged reading pages and pages of posts from months ago with the same problem, while trying to put out fires at the same time. Boy, what a Monday.

Resolved.

Edited by user Monday, June 8, 2015 11:00:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: update: resolved with help from tech support

Scott  
#91 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2015 2:42:56 PM(UTC)
Scott

United States

Originally Posted by: jonc Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Sean Go to Quoted Post

Code:

I added this key to the web.config file but SC wouldn't restart, so I had to remove it again.
Using 5.3

+1 to please add this feature to next release. This feature is completely useless.

Are you certain that you placed it into the correct appSettings section? The KB here has addition information on exactly where it should be placed.

Additionally, we are currently reviewing all reports of issues with remote printing.
ScreenConnect Team
PaulHood  
#92 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2015 1:26:56 PM(UTC)
PaulHood

United Kingdom

+1 for Enabled/Disabled - This feature should appear like Blank/Unblank screen
sjswarts  
#93 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2015 10:51:11 AM(UTC)
sjswarts

Australia

+1 for me too.

1) This needs to be disabled by default
2) This would be great to be toggled at request
3) If toggled on it should on disconnect remove any printers that are installed and go back to the client(s) default printer

Basically my support to the client should be as unobtrusive as possible. I deal with a fair amount of people who have limited computer skills, so trying to tell them over the phone that they need to open Devices and Printers, Right click on each printer that Screen Connect installed and select remove, then tell me what printer they would like to be default, then apologizing for causing them to go through all of this, makes my life a little more difficult.

So please Screen Connect listen to us :)

Edited by user Friday, June 12, 2015 10:52:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

regards,

Steven Swarts
TechCare

https://www.techcare.net.au
jonc  
#94 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2015 1:49:14 AM(UTC)
jonc

Are you certain that you placed it into the correct appSettings section? The KB here has addition information on exactly where it should be placed.

Yes, I definitely made the change in the correct section of the file.
rchamberland  
#95 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2015 4:09:02 PM(UTC)
rchamberland

United States

+5 from my team.
Had the printers from my computer for a number of clients (that I do on-sites for) push to a different client terminal server.
You can imagine the mayhem from there.
Now disabled using the web.config setting, but as others have stated, should have been disabled globally with the option to enable on a per case basis.
I assume this key is carried forward into 5.3? What is the behavior in 5.3?
ebell  
#96 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2015 1:30:48 AM(UTC)
ebell

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Thanks for the update on how to turn this feature off. It was interesting to watch the change take affect in real time.

+1 for the option to turn this on/off on the fly. A good place to would be on the toolbar underneath Miscellaneous. Similar to the Share My Desktop option.
im2020  
#97 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2015 4:42:39 PM(UTC)
im2020

+1

This was a dumb idea to begin with and IMO a feature that targets consumers and not techs. Didn't realize it was auto-set to on, otherwise I wouldn't have upgraded to the newer SC release
dbacon  
#98 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2015 4:14:45 PM(UTC)
dbacon

Canada

+1 from me as well to make it an optional feature, and the 4 other techs that work with me.
911bob  
#99 Posted : Saturday, July 11, 2015 1:16:18 PM(UTC)
911bob

United States

+1.. yes this is a real pain when your primary focus is support.. need to be abel to turn off.

I have a dozen + printers and it really confuses clients when they see all of them popping up.
MattCFCU  
#100 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2015 1:43:39 PM(UTC)
MattCFCU

United States

+1
I believe this may have something to do with Group Policy. Standard users are unable to add/remove printers and once a screenconnect session is terminated UAC blocks the device removal. Just a thought.