logo

The ConnectWise Control forum has moved to ConnectWise University! This forum has been locked and is in read-only mode. Click here for instructions on how to access the new forum.

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
donnieg  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 7, 2015 4:30:27 PM(UTC)
donnieg

United States

I have approximately 100 customers that I connect to in unattended sessions. I have screenconnect running on an Amazon AWS/EC2 server, works great. The customers' screenconnect server is constantly checking in with the EC2 server, by design of course.

My question is what will happen on the customer's computer, if I were to take the EC2 server offline for a week? Does the software on their computer complain? Will they notice any difference at all?

Thanks in advance,

DG

Scott  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 7, 2015 4:45:51 PM(UTC)
Scott

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 351 time(s) in 303 post(s)
If the server's offline, the client won't notice anything. The client service will attempt to reconnect and when it doesn't reach the server, it will attempt to connect again after a certain interval has passed. That interval varies, but should cap out at roughly 30 minutes between attempts. A user on any Guest machine would be completely unaware of this process.

With that said, however, whenever you do bring your server back online, it may take a little while for all of your clients to reconnect (for the reason mentioned above).

Edited by user Friday, January 9, 2015 3:33:10 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ScreenConnect Team
thanks 1 user thanked Scott for this useful post.
donnieg on 1/7/2015(UTC)
donnieg  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 7, 2015 4:57:26 PM(UTC)
donnieg

United States

Thank you. You've answered my question perfectly.

One related question: If the server gets turned off at midnight and turns back on at 8am, the most time any PC would have been attempting to check in with no response would be 8 hours. Assuming the customer's PC has been left on, after 8 hours of no response, roughly how long would the interval be at by then?

I can accept a vague answer to this obscure question :)

Thanks again!
Scott  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 9, 2015 3:32:28 PM(UTC)
Scott

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 351 time(s) in 303 post(s)
Well, actually, after looking at the code it looks like the cap between intervals is 1800000 milliseconds (30 minutes) and not the 1.5 hours I originally thought. I'll edit my original post so that no one gets confused.

Also, the interval starts at 2 seconds and then increases at a rate of 1.5. Since it's a 30 minute cap, I would guess that the interval would be 30 minutes after 8 hours, although you're welcome to do the math to double-check.
ScreenConnect Team
donnieg  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 10, 2015 4:11:51 PM(UTC)
donnieg

United States

For the sake of completeness and nerd-points, I made a table: Google Sheet

It turns out, after 95 minutes, it reaches the maximum 30 minute check-in interval.