logo

The ConnectWise Control forum has moved to ConnectWise University! This forum has been locked and is in read-only mode. Click here for instructions on how to access the new forum.

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
purdypc  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 16, 2011 1:52:21 PM(UTC)
purdypc

Lost the connection to unattended clients while performing a router change - which also changed the i.p. address. Can a connection be re-established without a new installer?

ComputerHero  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 17, 2011 11:42:19 PM(UTC)
ComputerHero

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Not unless you were using a domain or subdomain, no. If it's pointing to an IP and you change to a different IP, you'd loose the connection.

Depending on the timing however, you maybe able to capture that old ip by requesting it from the ISP, or setting the mac of the new router to the old one (maybe the lease hasn't expired yet).

We setup an A record in our dns to point to our screenconnect server, so if we jump ip's then the clients will always find us.
thanks 1 user thanked ComputerHero for this useful post.
purdypc on 7/18/2011(UTC)
bigdessert  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 18, 2011 8:52:39 AM(UTC)
bigdessert

Medals: ScreenConnect Advisor: Focus Group MemberLevel 3: Shirt off your back! Received 25 Thanks!

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 32 post(s)
This is why in my opinion you should always point them to a domain or subdomain. It takes the ip address changes out of the picure.
thanks 1 user thanked bigdessert for this useful post.
purdypc on 7/18/2011(UTC)
purdypc  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 18, 2011 9:55:50 AM(UTC)
purdypc

Here's my set-up. Any recommnedations or suggestions are greatly welcomed.

I'm hosting the software on a Windows XP Pro SP3 machine with the latest updates.

I have that machine's internal i.p. (192.168.1.xxx) configured for port forwarding in my router on :80, :8040, and :8041.

Using DynDNS on my current i.p. (Comcast residential) with url - http://fix.selfip.com.

So, when creating an unattended client...should I access the login panel from http://fix.selfip.com side, the internal i.p. of the machine, or the actual i.p. given from Comcast?

Is there a better way to re-configure this set-up for better peformance or unattended access?

By the way - really appreciate the help.
bigdessert  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 18, 2011 1:31:12 PM(UTC)
bigdessert

Medals: ScreenConnect Advisor: Focus Group MemberLevel 3: Shirt off your back! Received 25 Thanks!

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 32 post(s)
purdypc wrote:
Here's my set-up. Any recommnedations or suggestions are greatly welcomed.

I'm hosting the software on a Windows XP Pro SP3 machine with the latest updates.

I have that machine's internal i.p. (192.168.1.xxx) configured for port forwarding in my router on :80, :8040, and :8041.

Using DynDNS on my current i.p. (Comcast residential) with url - http://fix.selfip.com.

So, when creating an unattended client...should I access the login panel from http://fix.selfip.com side, the internal i.p. of the machine, or the actual i.p. given from Comcast?

Is there a better way to re-configure this set-up for better peformance or unattended access?

By the way - really appreciate the help.

This is a perfect way to set this up. You will want to always access the site from http://fix.selfip.com because that is what will get stamped onto the unattended client. If you visit internal IP of machine or actual IP of comcast then the unattended client gets configured with that setting. ALWAYS VISIT THE NAMED URL IF POSSIBLE!
purdypc  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 18, 2011 3:58:41 PM(UTC)
purdypc

Thank you kindly. You are 100% correct - but, I also had to go in under my DynDNS account host settings and change selection to "Host with IP address" instead of what I had checked originally (which was incorrect) "WebHop Redirect (URL forwarding service)". After I made the change...accessed from the fix.selfip.com side and...the installer reflected the fix.selfip.com instead of the i.p. Thanks again for your help.