logo

The ConnectWise Control forum has moved to ConnectWise University! This forum has been locked and is in read-only mode. Click here for instructions on how to access the new forum.

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shawnkhall  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 20, 2014 11:28:57 PM(UTC)
shawnkhall

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Okay, so I was changing rights under Roles to be able to hide Sessions and Meetings, since we're not using those features. I created a new role specifically to be able to have a separate administrator account, and then modified the roles of the other groups to remove the 'Administer' right and change "ViewSessionGroup: AllSessionGroups" to "ViewSessionGroup: AccessSessionGroups"

Anyway, I saved it and saw an error briefly that said the password did not meet complexity requirements. Then I was asked to login again because my role no longer had the Administer right. This is where I freaked out.

I downloaded the sessions.db file and explored it. Nothing about roles or accounts in there.

The App_Data folder has a Role.xml and User.xml files, and these seemed to be what I was after. Modifying them didn't fix it though. Logged in again and again and it didn't resolve the 'Administer' right.

So I modified my own accounts Role to add this to the PermissionEntries group:
Code:
<PermissionEntry Name="Administer" AccessControlType="Allow" />

Then I restarted the services ("ScreenConnect Session Manager"). Logged in, and I finally had access again!

Whew. That could have been VERY bad. :)

Next time I'm going to be backing up the App_Data folder to ensure I have clean backups before modifying any of the roles, accounts or settings. Steps to create backups here:
http://help.screenconnec...kup_of_your_installation

Scott  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2014 1:20:58 PM(UTC)
Scott

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 351 time(s) in 303 post(s)
Glad to hear you got it working again. Also, maintaining a backup is always a good idea.

Also, if you run into any other authentication/security related holes, you can always reset your installation with the steps found here: http://help.screenconnec...tor_username_or_password

This will reset your authentication but not change any of your other settings/customizations.
ScreenConnect Team
mscfadmin  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 9, 2014 10:12:50 PM(UTC)
mscfadmin

United States

Originally Posted by: Scott Go to Quoted Post
Glad to hear you got it working again. Also, maintaining a backup is always a good idea.

Also, if you run into any other authentication/security related holes, you can always reset your installation with the steps found here: http://help.screenconnec...tor_username_or_password

This will reset your authentication but not change any of your other settings/customizations.

FYI, I just tried this to fix a login issue after upgrading from 4.1 to 4.4 and it seems to have reset everything. I've lost all my unattended hosts, security groups, etc.

EDIT: Disregard. It was because the default login can't see sessions. I re-added a security group with the correct permissions and now I can see everything again. So now I just need to rebuild the security groups and we'll be good to go. Thank you so much!

Edited by user Saturday, August 9, 2014 11:09:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified