logo

The ConnectWise Control forum has moved to ConnectWise University! This forum has been locked and is in read-only mode. Click here for instructions on how to access the new forum.

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RGgusnowski  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2014 8:31:20 PM(UTC)
RGgusnowski

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Canada

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I know that this has been requested before, but I think it needs to be kept high on the radar.

If anyone is familiar with GoToAssist, it has a few features that add an extra layer of security. These make for a more secure environment, and provide a measure of assurance for end-users who question having a permanent client on their machines.

Here are what I consider the three most important features:

* When connecting, a pop-up screen is used if someone is logged on to the computer. The end user an accept or reject the connection. If there is no response after 10-15 seconds, the connection is automatically connected.

* The GoToAssist client has the ability to store the password for a user or administrator account on the remote machine. This allows a remote tech to wok on a machine/system without the end-client having to share the password.

* An option to automatically email the end-client, if a remote connection is automatically accepted. This provides assurance that the client is notified of every remote connection.

Getting these features added may take some time, but they do make sense.

Robert

lpopejoy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2014 10:07:47 PM(UTC)
lpopejoy

Medals: Level 2: Lent a Helping Hand! 10 Thanks!

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I'm highly supportive of anything that gives us better security and better client side visibility. This desperately needs improvement! +1
RGgusnowski  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2014 11:12:25 PM(UTC)
RGgusnowski

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Canada

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Yes; I agree 100%.

At work I use GoToAssist for remote support. As it sits, ScreenConnect would not meet our organizational security requirements.

However I do use ScreenConnect personally for supporting family and friends. From a cost perspective ScreenConnect is affordable. Prior to ScreenConnect I used LogMeIn Free, and frankly ScreenConnect works better.

Ultimately I would hope that the long term vision would include a web interface to configure "web.config" and "app.config". Being able to configure these files via a web interface would make setup easier for non-technical users, and it would eliminate the possibility of mistakes or syntax errors.

Robert
Jeff  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2014 1:47:37 AM(UTC)
Jeff

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

Man

Was thanked: 156 time(s) in 122 post(s)
Thanks for the suggestions I will certainly make sure each is documented. Couple of quick thoughts.

1. We do have HostWithoutConsent which can be turned off by ScreenConnect Administrator which will require the customer to consent before you are allowed to connect. It doesn't timeout currently but does popup a message on their screen.

2. We have the Store Credentials and Send Credentials in the Host Client. If the Store Credentials request is sent and the credentials stored they are stored locally on the guest machine. This way they are not giving you access. The creds are linked to the session ID, so for support sessions the creds will no longer work after the session is ended. For access sessions its the same linking however since the session ID doesn't typically change the creds will typically be available. *There are posts in the forum on clearing the creds and of course if the customer removes those creds they wouldn't work.

3. Not sure about emailing but I know we were looking at adding client side logging in the near future that documented these sort of things.

ScreenConnect Team