logo

The ConnectWise Control forum has moved to ConnectWise University! This forum has been locked and is in read-only mode. Click here for instructions on how to access the new forum.

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jdinan  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:31:02 PM(UTC)
jdinan

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I moved this from another thread I commented on.

BEHOLD! Screen Connect Client running under WINE!

Screen Connect Running under Wine

I used Play on Linux

which makes the process soooo much easier. to install .net 3.5 sp1 you have to install version 2.0 and a myriad of fixes. but this automates the whole thing.

short and sweet summary of process.

I made a 32-bit prefix.

installed .net 3.5 SP1

mscorefonts
msxml3
msxml4

and wininet

making sure that the last exe I downloaded to be freshly downloaded and never attempted before. I think the token goes bad if I try to attempt and fail.

and bam!

it popped up like no ones business

Recording does not work.

However everything else does including the microphone portion.

still a few visual occlusions. but im working on that. (trying to maximize, does not work) however manually resizing does (by dragging out bottom right corner)

next I just have to install it to the default prefix for wine. and I think it will be fully fledged, short of recording.. which I may work on later.

-EDIT----

I changed my prefix from the one I created in playonlinux to my default.

I actually did it the lazy way.

renamed .wine to .wineold

copied my prefix from ~/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/myprefix to ~/

and renamed it to .wine

im using manjaro linux, which is based on arch linux, so same applies for both. it describes Here on how to change it other ways, but like I said, I did it the lazy way.

to make it more like windows, I changed the application for .exe to open in wine in firefox.

LIKE SO!

some behaviour abnormalities that existed in the java version still happen here as well.

such as the windows key (super key) can get stuck in the remote machine.. causing goofy results, to fix, just click in the remote machine and hit the windows key again.

FYI that happens on the java version too, never had it happen on windows though.

My next task is to try and get it running under mono, because that was too easy to get it to run.

--end edit--

--Second edit --

if you have issues with file transfer, installing msxml6 seems to fix this

--end second edit--

Edited by user Wednesday, March 12, 2014 5:49:19 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

yochaigal  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 5:06:40 PM(UTC)
yochaigal

Medals: ScreenConnect Advisor: Focus Group MemberLevel 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Thanks for the walkthrough!
I configured POL prefix as you've described, then copied it over to .wine (good idea, btw).
However, it refused to launch the .application file or the .exe; it gets a fatal exception.
Are you using the .application file? How did you get it to work? Also, what am I missing?

Thanks!
jdinan  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 5:36:26 PM(UTC)
jdinan

First, make sure you are completely replacing your .wine with the one generated in POL.

not copying over the existing.

I am using user-agent-switcher in firefox, to change my user agent to internet explorer, so it downloads the .exe

then as described, I am changing in firefox to open .exe in wine (usually located under /usr/bin)

also, you may want to check in winecfg under "libraries"

set
*msxml3(native)
*wininet (native,builtin)

POL should already do this.. however it is good to double check.

for testing it is best to change firefox or whatever browser (Im a big fan of FF, so that is what I can relate to)

to download the .exe

then to run in a command line.

wine /path/to/Elsinore.ScreenConnect.Client.exe

or even better

winedbg /path/to/Elsinore.ScreenConnect.Client.exe

each time you attempt to open the client, even if it fails, you will not be able to try it again, you will have to download a new one.

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT, because it got me stuck for a while, then I realized it has to be an .exe that has never been attempted before.

this will not matter if you get it all running, because each time you click on a client, it will dl a new exe.

if you set FF right as mentioned, it's a one-click deal in the end, it will not even prompt you on what to open it with, it will just connect to the client, and it will connect faster than the JAVA version that is the default linux.

the only side affect is a bunch of Elsinore.ScreenConnect.Client.exe in your downloads folder.

which I guess you could create a shutdown script that deletes those.

I have only done this on arch (manjaro) linux using kernel 3.12

no other distro.

I can not imagine it would be much different, it is slightly possible that you would have to use 3.12 (I think it runs better than the ubuntu stable 3.10)

Like I said, your best bet is to try and dl a new exe, and run it from terminal. it will give you output on the situation.

that way you can find out what is failing.

Jake  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2014 4:04:37 AM(UTC)
Jake

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

Was thanked: 393 time(s) in 188 post(s)
I can't believe that worked!
ScreenConnect Team
jdinan  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2014 7:37:02 PM(UTC)
jdinan

I can.

Teamviewer Can do it, why can't Screen Connect?

I think it's in part of motivation to do so.

Im still trying to figure out file receiving and sending.

screenshots work. custom toolbox works.

however file sending and receiving does not. ---EDIT, yes it does if you install msxml 6 --

my assumption is that they use a different transport method. perhaps a different feature in .net 3.5

I tested meeting yesterday and it worked flawlessly, displaying my desktop, using mic etc.

if it wasn't for file transfer issue I would use it through wine all the time since it is a lot faster to connect than the java version and has less footprint as well.

It's been a journey, as in a sense I am backwards engineering the whole thing and going in blind, but I must admit it has been fun.

no luck with Mono, however since it works with .net I have had less motivation to try mono.

If I can get the client to work with all the features, then I might try with mono, maybe create a custom wrapper for wininet and msxml.

curious, does screenconnect possibly have an api?

EDIT:

additionally clipboard does not work with parcellite. but it does with the built in clipboard.

one of my other gripes about the java version is that it does not show the name of the computer you are connected to in the title bar. it makes it difficult when having multiple windows open and they all have the same server desktop.

Edited by user Wednesday, March 12, 2014 7:07:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked jdinan for this useful post.
bytes2bits on 8/9/2015(UTC)
tommy  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 4:41:57 PM(UTC)
tommy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Works very well!
Thanks for the tip :-)
yochaigal  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2014 3:39:43 PM(UTC)
yochaigal

Medals: ScreenConnect Advisor: Focus Group MemberLevel 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Originally Posted by: jdinan Go to Quoted Post
I can.

Teamviewer Can do it, why can't Screen Connect?

I think it's in part of motivation to do so.

Im still trying to figure out file receiving and sending.

screenshots work. custom toolbox works.

however file sending and receiving does not. ---EDIT, yes it does if you install msxml 6 --

my assumption is that they use a different transport method. perhaps a different feature in .net 3.5

I tested meeting yesterday and it worked flawlessly, displaying my desktop, using mic etc.

if it wasn't for file transfer issue I would use it through wine all the time since it is a lot faster to connect than the java version and has less footprint as well.

It's been a journey, as in a sense I am backwards engineering the whole thing and going in blind, but I must admit it has been fun.

no luck with Mono, however since it works with .net I have had less motivation to try mono.

If I can get the client to work with all the features, then I might try with mono, maybe create a custom wrapper for wininet and msxml.

curious, does screenconnect possibly have an api?

EDIT:

additionally clipboard does not work with parcellite. but it does with the built in clipboard.

one of my other gripes about the java version is that it does not show the name of the computer you are connected to in the title bar. it makes it difficult when having multiple windows open and they all have the same server desktop.

EDIT: You can ignore the below, because I've fixed the "send files" portion - however, I still can't get it to receive files.

OK I got it working - thanks! However, I can't get it to send/receive files, even after installing msxml 6!
Any suggestions? Thanks!

EDIT: I notice now that "Send Folder" does show a window, but sends a folder as a file. Send files gives me this error:

"Error Occured performing 'SendFiles.' Unable to find an entry point named 'ShilCreateFromPath' in DLL 'shell32.dll'.

EDIT FIXED: I changed winecfg to Windows XP and it works! Make sure to kill wineserver first!

Edited by user Thursday, July 24, 2014 4:01:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

yochaigal  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:48:02 PM(UTC)
yochaigal

For those interested in doing this themselves, I've uploaded my wine config. Place it in your home folder at ~/.wine.
Then, follow the instructions further down the page for setting up Firefox.

If you do NOT want to use my wine config, and want to set it up from scratch/via PlayOnLinux, Here is what you need to know:
Install:
.net 3.5 SP1​
mscorefonts
msxml3
msxml4
msxml6
wininet

Launch winecfg and set Libraries to msxml3(native) & wininet (native,builtin). The wine config should be set to Windows XP 32-bit.

Firefox:
To have the remote session launch quickly (e.g. clickonce plugin/.net) open Firefox, and try downloading an .exe somewhere (not from SC) and set it to be / usr/bin/wine, and to do do so automatically. You should then be able to set the default launcher for .exe files (see pic) in FF preferences. Then install a useragent switcher, switch to IE and it should all work!

All props to jdinan.

Edited by user Friday, July 25, 2014 2:22:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked yochaigal for this useful post.
t0ny0 on 12/19/2014(UTC), bytes2bits on 8/9/2015(UTC)
bytes2bits  
#9 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2015 11:29:24 AM(UTC)
bytes2bits

United States

Originally Posted by: yochaigal Go to Quoted Post
For those interested in doing this themselves, I've uploaded my wine config. Place it in your home folder at ~/.wine.
Then, follow the instructions further down the page for setting up Firefox.

If you do NOT want to use my wine config, and want to set it up from scratch/via PlayOnLinux, Here is what you need to know:
Install:
.net 3.5 SP1​
mscorefonts
msxml3
msxml4
msxml6
wininet

Launch winecfg and set Libraries to msxml3(native) & wininet (native,builtin). The wine config should be set to Windows XP 32-bit.

Firefox:
To have the remote session launch quickly (e.g. clickonce plugin/.net) open Firefox, and try downloading an .exe somewhere (not from SC) and set it to be / usr/bin/wine, and to do do so automatically. You should then be able to set the default launcher for .exe files (see pic) in FF preferences. Then install a useragent switcher, switch to IE and it should all work!

All props to jdinan.

This is amazing!!! Also thanks to jdinan. I realize this is an old post but is this something that you're still using and does it still work, as is, according to the instructions you've provided? I'm gonna definitely give this a try although I'm not very familiar at all with Ubuntu, etc. I already have Wine installed and working so I guess I'm well on my way.
Also... if I use your config file do I just decompress it and then just copy each folder into the corresponding folder in .wine?

Edited by user Sunday, August 9, 2015 12:28:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified