logo

The ConnectWise Control forum has moved to ConnectWise University! This forum has been locked and is in read-only mode. Click here for instructions on how to access the new forum.

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
minc3d  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 29, 2014 2:06:23 AM(UTC)
minc3d

United States

We have 4 licenses to ScreenConnect. Absolutely love it. Moved from GoToAssist and have not looked back. We are a growing MSP in the Chicago area and leverage this tool near daily.

Two big things that my company feels is missing:

* Printing passthrough: LogMeIn and Remote Desktop have had this for years. Is this ever going to hit?
* Unattended pwd/lock: Some users have expressed concern about their privacy for our program on their machines. GoToAssist used to have a password lock that we could enable on unattended systems that customers could change. Alternatively it would be nice if customers could turn on/off unattended access like LogMeIN allows in its app. Just some control for customers not to feel that we are watching them always if they don't want to.
* USB Passthrough: Similar to printing passthrough. Would be nice so we could have thumb drives show up in sessions. Or to transfer data much more easily.

And I think everyone knows this, but MAC support needs to continue improving. Both on the unattended client end and the technician end. We don't support a ton of Macs, but the 10-15 we do are just a pain to work with due to many missing features.

Jeff  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:19:17 PM(UTC)
Jeff

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

Man

Was thanked: 156 time(s) in 122 post(s)
Sure happy to help withe all of this:

1. Remote Printing is in queue its just not the highest of priorities right now. I do think it will get done but its just making sure that it is done correctly so that it works in most all scenarios and doesn't create more problems than it resolves.

2. Adding a password so that clients can lock you out of the client makes the client no longer really an unattended client. A client that you can access at anytime. It creates a client that you can easily access assuming customer says its ok. But to that we are looking at a customer initiated project. Something we had originally hoped to do in 4.0 but we had to postpone a bit. The goal right now is that we will work on this in our 4.4 project. This is tentative but my guess is that we would see pre-relaese of 4.4 May/June timeframe. Client initiated would provide ways for customers to request help from the guest page and probably some new client options that give them more control over the connection.

3. I'm not sure if I have seen the USB passthrough request before or not. I will have to do some investigation. Can you provide some info on how this would not work today and how you would like to see it presented? Would this be an in-session thing or something available through host-page?

4. Mac yes there is always work to do there. We did in 4.1 and 4.2 do work to bypass gatekeeper issues, we are working on better interface for joining sessions, unattended should now work if no one logged in. If there some specific features you would like for me to emphasize in the enhancement request please let us know.
ScreenConnect Team
minc3d  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2014 7:54:22 PM(UTC)
minc3d

United States

1) If remote printing is in the works, then that sounds great.

2) What you described about client initiated support and some options on whether they allow unattended access would be ideal. Or even a secondary password to protect their machine if they wanted that extra layer of security. GoToAssist has this feature and we have used it with more than a few clients in the past, especially lawyers, medical, etc. This would ensure that say if a client wanted us to have unattended access but only wanted say myself or a colleague to have access, then we could accomplish this. There is no way to distinguish in SC what techs can have access to what machines right now. Perhaps that may be an alternate way of solving this problem.

3) The way USB passthrough works in Remote Desktop from Microsoft is ideally what would be nice for SC.
http://windows.microsoft...a-remote-desktop-session
This feature has been in the product for years. Devices like connected cameras, USB drives, anything over USB that has accessible storage can be passed through so that it can be accessed on the remote system. I know this may require some definite coding into the program, but if it can be placed onto the roadmap that would be nice. It's one of the biggest shortcomings of SC right now compared to Microsoft's first party solution.

4) On the Mac side, the complaints I hear about from my MAC guy on staff is just general stability improvements and getting feature parity with the Windows side on things like screen blanking, etc. It just seems like the Mac side is a bit of an afterthought after we play with the Windows version for so long.

We don't have a flood of clients on Mac, but its a sizable minority at this point.

Thanks for the responses!
Thewrox  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 6, 2014 12:58:00 AM(UTC)
Thewrox

Canada

+1 need to print :)
Jeff  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 6, 2014 7:34:03 PM(UTC)
Jeff

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

Man

Was thanked: 156 time(s) in 122 post(s)
I did want to respond to one point above: "There is no way to distinguish in SC what techs can have access to what machines right now. Perhaps that may be an alternate way of solving this problem."

You can certainly limit access of your techs to a particular group of customer machines. Now the user/customer is not really controlling this you as the Admin of ScreenConnect are setting these restrictions but it can be done. Possibly its not what you meant but for anyone else reading this I wanted to mention that via manage session groups (sessions can be organized in folders) and then via Role-Based Security you could restrict access to these folders. Here is a video:

USB request I will take a look at and see.

Mac really isn't an afterthought as much as we focus our development based on a few variables and number of requests plays a role. And while Mac is very important a ton of our requests are centered around making something work on Windows. A huge portion of the work in 4.1 and 4.2 were focused on Mac and Linux and even a good chunk of 4.3. But there is still a lot of improvements that can be made and we will continue pushing those.

ScreenConnect Team
spinemed  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2014 9:20:39 PM(UTC)
spinemed

Canada

The product my company provides requires a USB dongle (http://www.matrixlock.de/english/) to access certain administrative functions of the software. This protects factory settings from being altered by unauthorized individuals. Although rare it may be useful for us if a dongle on the host would be recognized on the remote. I realize this is an extreme edge case and Matrix may have even taken steps to stop this kind of functionality. It is however something to consider as you look into USB passthrough and the range of configurations out there.