logo

The ConnectWise Control forum has moved to ConnectWise University! This forum has been locked and is in read-only mode. Click here for instructions on how to access the new forum.

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Chris1040  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 26, 2011 2:28:48 PM(UTC)
Chris1040

Is it possible that when a tech/host joins an Unattended Session the guest machine is alerted?

Not so much as an email, but a notification popup/bubble/etc by the system tray?

We are considering deploying the Unattended Installation MSI to all (local and remote) workstations (both staffed and unstaffed). In the event that the machine is staffed, the end user may feel more comfortable that they are alerted in case someone joins the session. I understand that the wallpaper does change, but an alert bubble may more obvious.

Does this feature exist currently?

feri  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2011 5:20:19 AM(UTC)
feri

Man

I would like this feature also. The background changes, but if the user has an opened program in full window ex. excel, word, he does not see/realize that somebody just connected to his computer.
A popup from the system tray would be awesome.

Thanks.
IT Services
www.icore.ro
teksigns  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 1, 2011 2:10:22 PM(UTC)
teksigns

Medals: Bug Buster Level Two: Bugs are more afraid of you than you are of them...ScreenConnect Advisor: Focus Group MemberLevel 2: Lent a Helping Hand! 10 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 14 post(s)
i agree
sysadmin  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 4, 2011 2:44:58 PM(UTC)
sysadmin

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Agreed, though it should be configurable.

I've had users get pretty upset when they realized this was the default behavior, enough to complain to management regarding security (or complete lack of) with this application.

And this is for internal staff. I couldn't imagine being a consultant or third party support company and trying to explain this behavior to clients.
sysadmin  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 21, 2011 6:49:28 PM(UTC)
sysadmin

Part of a recent email from a company director:

Quote:
Explain to me again what is this new program that allows you to watch what everybody in the office do on their computers live and all the time without giving us the ability to turn it off…?

Could somebody from ScreenConnect please give me an idea on if and when we may see a notification system in place for when a technician is connected to an unattended session? An optional allow/deny feature, configurable from the client or server, giving the end user has the ability to allow the technician to connect only after any sensitive work has been closed, would be hugely welcome as well.

Edited by user Sunday, August 21, 2011 6:50:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

bigdessert  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 22, 2011 9:18:05 AM(UTC)
bigdessert

Medals: ScreenConnect Advisor: Focus Group MemberLevel 3: Shirt off your back! Received 25 Thanks!

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 32 post(s)
In my opinion if this is that big of a deal then just ditch unattended installs and use regular on demand sessions. Seriously if they have that much of a problem with it, make them go through the extra work to get help from you. I have the unattended installs on my client computers as we are a consultant and none of them have any problem with it because they know we can fix problems faster without their intervention. If one of them says no they don't want it, then I explain to them that they will have to be present to get me onto their servers if there is a problem.
John S  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 22, 2011 9:34:59 AM(UTC)
John S

@bigdessert +1
sysadmin  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 22, 2011 6:06:18 PM(UTC)
sysadmin

This isn't an issue with server, or true "unattended" installations. This is an issue with user workstations and laptops throughout the company. It becomes a major pain to have to walk the people (especially C level) through web based sessions, having them click accept/run/ok/etc, especially when their on the phone, or giving a presentation, or some other moment where you don't have a persons full attention. It's often not a simple 1-click procedure. Now if it were a 1-click "allow" that I could see and take control, that would appease everyone.

Regardless, I posted this update to get a response from ScreenConnect, and while I appreciate all suggestions, I need some feedback to provide the C-level execs here as it's not just an issue of their computers, but an issue of everyone who may have sensitive information open on their computer (accountants, general counsel, etc.). If the answer is "no, we're not doing it" that is fine. If the answer is "it's in the works for a later date" that is fine as well. I just need an answer because if the answer is "not going to happen" then I need to look for another solution for at least the people who are deemed to require an extra level of security (approval) before the connection is made.

Edited by user Monday, August 22, 2011 6:07:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jake  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 22, 2011 9:47:52 PM(UTC)
Jake

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

Was thanked: 393 time(s) in 188 post(s)
We may eventually get to this, but it's not on the schedule for a release.
ScreenConnect Team
bigdessert  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 24, 2011 11:57:03 PM(UTC)
bigdessert

Medals: ScreenConnect Advisor: Focus Group MemberLevel 3: Shirt off your back! Received 25 Thanks!

sysadmin wrote:
This isn't an issue with server, or true "unattended" installations. This is an issue with user workstations and laptops throughout the company. It becomes a major pain to have to walk the people (especially C level) through web based sessions, having them click accept/run/ok/etc, especially when their on the phone, or giving a presentation, or some other moment where you don't have a persons full attention. It's often not a simple 1-click procedure. Now if it were a 1-click "allow" that I could see and take control, that would appease everyone.

Regardless, I posted this update to get a response from ScreenConnect, and while I appreciate all suggestions, I need some feedback to provide the C-level execs here as it's not just an issue of their computers, but an issue of everyone who may have sensitive information open on their computer (accountants, general counsel, etc.). If the answer is "no, we're not doing it" that is fine. If the answer is "it's in the works for a later date" that is fine as well. I just need an answer because if the answer is "not going to happen" then I need to look for another solution for at least the people who are deemed to require an extra level of security (approval) before the connection is made.

Sorry if I came off a bit harsh and unwilling to understand. I'm all for more security anywhere we can get it with this product! it is just that when unattended installs first came out they had popups and then it was complaint after complaint to get rid of them. Now that they are gone some want them back for security seems like we are running circles. I say if it gets added how about an option to turn it on/off.
bigdessert  
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 25, 2011 9:34:51 AM(UTC)
bigdessert

OK, after a bit of testing, wanted to see if I could hack together a way for this to work, I found that what determines a regular session from an unattended session is in the service image path the variable
Code:
s=1e88e04a-85d7-456e-b818-8daff60e9412
where s is the session code generated by a regular session. unattended sessions do not have this and this line is what tells the guestservice to turn the popups and exit menu item on or off.

The problem is you cannot just set the session to something else because it will check the session relay service on the server and if not found will just end the session.

The only way I see it is if Jake were to add a simple variable to the function that turns popups on or off for instance p=1

Then I could make a simple vbs script to append that to the imagepath and boom we would be in business.

maybe he can do this maybe not we can cross our fingers though.
Jake  
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 25, 2011 9:37:24 AM(UTC)
Jake

Was thanked: 393 time(s) in 188 post(s)
We can make it popup when the session goes between a connected and disconnected state. That's how we determine to flash the host client taskbar item.
ScreenConnect Team
bigdessert  
#13 Posted : Thursday, August 25, 2011 9:39:16 AM(UTC)
bigdessert

can you add a variable that we can just enable on the imagepath in the service command?
bigdessert  
#14 Posted : Thursday, August 25, 2011 9:40:21 AM(UTC)
bigdessert

Jake Morgan wrote:
We can make it popup when the session goes between a connected and disconnected state. That's how we determine to flash the host client taskbar item.

I think this is all he wants....
neostim  
#15 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2012 3:04:19 PM(UTC)
neostim

Did anything ever come of this?

I'm experiencing the same issues here at work with users not knowing when IT connects to their computers, and getting a lot of complaints (we're trialing). I also see it as a security concern, if an exploit was ever found in screen connect that allowed unauthorized logins from the internet, at least our users would know someone was connecting in randomly, and could question it.
Meloman  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:25:11 PM(UTC)
Meloman

Medals: ScreenConnect Advisor: Focus Group Member

Hi, would have this too :)

Because 2 customers said me, "you can come whenever you want without any alert"...

I didn't know what to answer ! :-/

Thanks and regards
Jeff  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:31:37 PM(UTC)
Jeff

Man

Was thanked: 156 time(s) in 122 post(s)
We did add a balloon to pop up when the tech connects to an unattended. We are also looking at other ways of managing unattended connections (optional) that would give your customers a better sense of control. A lot of you have probably seen the suggestion of using a batch file http://forum.screenconne...-unattended-service.aspx or http://forum.screenconne...ttended-connections.aspx these are good options and we will hopefully be addressing this further over the next few releases. I don't have a specific date but we have talked internally and want to help.

Edited by user Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:32:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ScreenConnect Team
ComputerHero  
#18 Posted : Monday, February 27, 2012 1:54:31 PM(UTC)
ComputerHero

From a user perspective, it might be helfpful to have a popup that says "X Tech would like to connect for a remote session." and the use can click yes or deny for x minutes. The tech would get a response back saying come back in x minutes. I find more often than not that's what the biggest complaint is. I know LMI does this. (well, just a yes or no) and you can set it to default to yes or no. I have one client that requires a default NO as they want an employee there when we'ere working.
Jeff  
#19 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 3:47:54 PM(UTC)
Jeff

Man

Its a good idea, we are looking at customer initiated support, modifications to installed clients, etc as part of the next 2-3 builds. I expect we will do something with the unattended to make it a bit more flexible for the different use models. We see a lot of requests for wanting 100% access and no alerts to the user and then the same day wanting more control provided to customers and lots of alerts so they know you are trying to work on their machine.
ScreenConnect Team
sysadmin  
#20 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2012 2:24:12 PM(UTC)
sysadmin

Jeff Bishop wrote:
Its a good idea, we are looking at customer initiated support, modifications to installed clients, etc as part of the next 2-3 builds. I expect we will do something with the unattended to make it a bit more flexible for the different use models. We see a lot of requests for wanting 100% access and no alerts to the user and then the same day wanting more control provided to customers and lots of alerts so they know you are trying to work on their machine.

Yes please.

Optional is great, and better than nothing which is basically what we have now (little balloon doesn't count for much on a 1920x1080 23"+ monitor), especially when users aren't always focused on their monitor.

Something along the lines of what logmein uses, which the last time I had used it was a large opaque banner across the top of the screen stating "logmein remotely connection" with perhaps the techs name or username in there as well. The tech shouldn't see the banner obviously, but there should be an option to have one appear on the unattended desktop, blinking for a few seconds initially, possible with an option for the person at the console to close the banner for that session if they choose to.

Would also love to see an option that allowed logged in users to permit or deny the remote session, maybe with a timeout that could fall either way (again, configurable from the server on a group and computer basis). If nobody is logged in then it could just connect straight to the console.

Edited by user Monday, April 16, 2012 2:27:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

amgit  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, May 30, 2012 7:50:00 AM(UTC)
amgit

We are looking at ScreenConnect to replace Teamviewer, because of it's granular security for unattended sessions which is easy to manage from the server. But the sysadmin's on the right track with permit/deny and then auto accept/reject after a timeout. We would really need this feature before I can get approval from some of our company engineering directors.

It would be great if only a server administrator should be able to change the host 'security' mode(restricted/unrestricted?) for any host, or there should be permissions just like add/removing a note for being able to change these settings?

We would still use a mix of unrestricted unattended access & restricted unattended access so optional is important. Any idea on a timeframe? 2months? 6months?

Edited by user Wednesday, May 30, 2012 7:51:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

deoncampher  
#22 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2012 6:49:59 AM(UTC)
deoncampher

Jeff Bishop wrote:
We did add a balloon to pop up when the tech connects to an unattended. We are also looking at other ways of managing unattended connections (optional) that would give your customers a better sense of control. A lot of you have probably seen the suggestion of using a batch file http://forum.screenconne...-unattended-service.aspx or http://forum.screenconne...ttended-connections.aspx these are good options and we will hopefully be addressing this further over the next few releases. I don't have a specific date but we have talked internally and want to help.

Looking through this thread - I would like to see the popup; do i need to enable something to see this balloon popup, or is it on by default? And where should i be seeing it if it is on.

Thanks
Deon
scoplin  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, October 2, 2012 6:36:38 PM(UTC)
scoplin

I'm very interested in this as well. I have clients that are requesting this and the batch file is nice, but a balloon pop-up from the system tray would be very helpful and avoid any perception of "tech snooping" on the client's part.

-Spencer
TechCowboy  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2012 12:22:33 PM(UTC)
TechCowboy

My clients are demanding this feature as well.
Jeff  
#25 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2013 3:30:49 PM(UTC)
Jeff

Man

So in 3.1 there is a new security parameter for Hosting sessions without consent this will pop up a message to the customer asking if its ok for the tech to connect to their machine. This is a role based security measure so the user (tech) would need to be in a security role without this permission. Full documentation of this will be available from our Role Based Security knowledge article as its updated for 3.1 over the next few weeks.

There are a few other items in queue that I expect to be in 3.1 but have not been confirmed:
* Optional Wallpaper on/off setting
* Optional pop balloon on/off setting

Not sure how these will implemented at this point but we do have plans to add them.

Edited by user Friday, February 15, 2013 3:31:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ScreenConnect Team