logo

The ConnectWise Control forum has moved to ConnectWise University! This forum has been locked and is in read-only mode. Click here for instructions on how to access the new forum.

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jake  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:34:48 PM(UTC)
Jake

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

Was thanked: 393 time(s) in 188 post(s)
This was originally posted in another thread, but we'll be linking from the newsletter, so I figure it deserved another thread.

Below is a screenshot of the work we've been doing in 2.2 so far. You'll see:

- new logo
- new aesthetics
- grouping of unattended (and attended) sessions
- transferring of sessions between hosts
- add notes to sessions
- search box to filter session list

And I'm sure more will be added.

We appreciate all feedback!

Edited by user Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:42:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jake attached the following image(s):
Untitled.png
ScreenConnect Team
thanks 1 user thanked Jake for this useful post.
davidfrank on 4/15/2011(UTC)

skuliaxe  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2011 5:22:50 PM(UTC)
skuliaxe

I´m very impressed by the new design. It´s easy on the eyes and well organized.

Questions:
1) Will the "notes" and "duritation" be added to the session log file? This would allow users to gather some statistics on the average length of session over a period of time. Or even for billing reference if the session is billed to customers.
2) What is the third button on each session? (the magnifying glass)
3) Transferring sessions. How does that work? Do you select users from a list?

** Edit **
Will there be and other feature changes. *cough* request *cough*

Edited by user Thursday, April 14, 2011 6:51:57 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

bigdessert  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:43:51 PM(UTC)
bigdessert

Medals: ScreenConnect Advisor: Focus Group MemberLevel 3: Shirt off your back! Received 25 Thanks!

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 32 post(s)
also to tag along on the duration of session. Will this only include time both host and guest are connected, time guest is connect or time since the session itself was created?
rjkreider  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 15, 2011 10:11:41 AM(UTC)
rjkreider

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Sleek.

Excited to get this running. Got tired of scrolling, then wrote a wrapper to break them up by parsing based on company name. This will be a great enhancement! This will definitely spawn more license purchases after it is released. Keep up the great development guys.
paulrick  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 15, 2011 11:30:17 AM(UTC)
paulrick

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Looks really good. I like the new look and the addition of the new features. I have the same question as bigdessert regarding the duration. Is that calculated based of the creation time of the session or the based of the amount of time both parties are connected? Again, from the looks of the screenshot I really like the layout, can't wait to implement it.
jessy5765  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 15, 2011 2:49:13 PM(UTC)
jessy5765

Medals: ScreenConnect Advisor: Focus Group MemberLevel 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
When will be able to download this version to test for ourselfs?
Jessy5765
Network Engineer/Web Design & Hosting
davidfrank  
#7 Posted : Friday, April 15, 2011 5:11:26 PM(UTC)
davidfrank

Medals: ScreenConnect Advisor: Focus Group Member

I am so excited to see all the new updates since I just recently purchased the product and just convinced my workplace to buy it yesterday. They will be thrilled with this news since they were already happy with the current version. Is there an ETA for version 2.2? Or maybe I can possibly beta test and provide feedback???
rjkreider  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 6:00:17 PM(UTC)
rjkreider

Man
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
How will this handled installers with regards to the new organization of unattended sessions?

1. Will there be an option during installer build to select or create an existing unattended group?
2. For remote silent installations, will we have the ability to specify an existing group?
3. If an existing group does not exist during silent installation (command line) can it create the group?
4. How many groups can we nest? Are there only top-level groups right now?

Unattended Session Group: Acme Inc.
Acme Inc. -> Accounting Computers
Acme Inc. -> Sales Computers
Acme Inc. -> Sales Computers -> Local
Acme Inc. -> Sales Computers -> Mobile

Just a few thoughts I had on the drive home from the office tonight and was curious about.

Thanks in advance,

Rich
Jake  
#9 Posted : Monday, May 2, 2011 11:16:07 PM(UTC)
Jake

1. The groups are kind of like dynamic searches. So if you have logically tagged your installers, you should be able to create groups from your existing setup.
2. You should define your unattended tags so that you'll be able to filter them.
3. The groups are dynamically populated (don't worry, it's super super speedy), so they'll go into one or more groups based on the group filter. The groups "All Sessions" for attended and "All Machines" for unattended are fixed and will list all sessions.
4. Groups are only top level, but you can reorder them and name them in a hierarchical sense, but they'll all appear top level. A single session can be in one or more groups.

So suppose you have built an installer with a tag like this: "Acme - %BUILDING% - %COMPUTERNAME% - %USERNAME%" ... and BUILDING is something that is defined on the machine.

You can have a group "Acme" that will be defined with the tag filter "Acme - *" that will contain all Acme sessions.

And another group "Acme Building A" with the tag filter "Acme - BuildingA - *" that will contain just the Acme Building A sessions. And so on.
ScreenConnect Team
ipgenie  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 4, 2011 1:26:11 PM(UTC)
ipgenie

Is there a way to manage permissions so UserA can view all groups, but UserB can only view Group1 and Group2, etc?
We are hoping to allow a few users access to specific unattended installations and not even see that the other unattended installs are listed.
Jake  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 4, 2011 4:12:35 PM(UTC)
Jake

Granular permissions aren't implemented yet, but are definitely high priority. They may make it into 2.2.
ScreenConnect Team
techoutfit  
#12 Posted : Monday, May 9, 2011 11:16:30 AM(UTC)
techoutfit

Just tried to give the preview (2.2.1558.4143) a whirl and I get this when installing:

Product: Elsinore ScreenConnect -- Error 1720. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Custom action BackupFiles script error -2146828218, Microsoft VBScript runtime error: Permission denied Line 73, Column 3,

This is when installing as a domain admin on our Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard (64-bit). Latest 2.1 version installed with no problem.
Jake  
#13 Posted : Monday, May 9, 2011 11:19:01 AM(UTC)
Jake

Yeah, we're working on that. Happens when run as a normal user or non-elevated UAC. Elevate before running the current installer, and it will work.
ScreenConnect Team
techoutfit  
#14 Posted : Monday, May 9, 2011 12:56:31 PM(UTC)
techoutfit

That got it. Ran an elevated command prompt and installed via "msiexec /i " with no problems. New interface is very nice and haven't noticed any other problems so far.

Thanks for the facelift!
winson  
#15 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2011 10:16:40 PM(UTC)
winson

I´m very impressed by the new interface and new function.

May I know is there any improvement of Session logs, as you may know the existing ScreenConnect is lack of statistics or reporting tools. It was hard to let our Host/Admin to manage or trace what action taken during each support session.

May we requested more features in the coming version.

1. Marking a Note down in the each Session log and also gathering more users information.
2. Statistics report for each support technicians and supporting duration.

Thanks !
ComputerElite-Jason  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2011 10:36:32 AM(UTC)
ComputerElite-Jason

Great job guy!!! Just switched to 2.2 and loving it! look and feels much nicer!!
ComputerHero  
#17 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2011 6:10:56 AM(UTC)
ComputerHero

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Liking 2.2 so far. Just bought my first licence of trial. Good bye gotoAssist Express.

I have a request:
1. Can the notes be sorted by default in descending instead of ascending order. It would make keeping up with notes a lot easier.
2. Duration isn't active session duration but time since activation. It should be labelled as such.
3. If there was an option to set an environment variable in the installer like I've hacked together below.

Suggestion for those looking for a way to sort machines, set environment variables.

Save the following as tag.vbs open up a cmd prompt and cscript tag.vbs (or wscript tag.vbs)

Set Tags:

Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Set colUsrEnvVars = objShell.Environment("SYSTEM")
colUsrEnvVars("ScreenConnectTag") = "ClientTag"
Wscript.Echo colUsrEnvVars("ScreenConnectTag")

This way we can have custom tags deployed to our clients, push them out through GPO's or other script deployment methods and sort using stable and customizable tags.
Then we build our msi for %screenconnecttag% - %computername% - %username%

Works much nicer than %dnscomputername% which I was previously using.

Edited by user Friday, May 20, 2011 7:39:19 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

skuliaxe  
#18 Posted : Sunday, May 22, 2011 4:03:03 AM(UTC)
skuliaxe

ComputerHero wrote:
2. Duration isn't active session duration but time since activation. It should be labelled as such.

I would actually like if there where two times.
A) Time since the session was created.
B) Time the guest has spent in the session. This would be very helpful for the times sessions are invoiced.