logo
Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ctuckerini  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 10:39:06 PM(UTC)
ctuckerini

United States

We have always ran our control host on the LT (sorry, automate) server, which has plenty of resources. I recently saw the need to move it off-prem, to a hosted VM. I chose linux for the efficiency, cost, and well...because I like it. The migration went well but I noticed that we were having intermittent crashes, where control would start "negotiating connection". We could still login but connecting to a session was not happening.

The cause was pointing to mono consuming all resources (at times cpu and at times ram). Some days we would have to restart the services several times a day and other times we could get by a couple of days w/ out restarting. As a part of or msp agreement, we do allow certain clients the ability to login to the wcc and access their PC's remotely. So, that wasn't cutting it. Google "screenconnect mono crash" and it is a never ending result. However, because our on-prem LT server has tons of resources, I had never looked at database maintenance. I noticed that our session_db was close to a GB so thought it couldn't hurt. I configured some basic maint options and scheduled it to run.

Maintenance Plan Actions
Description
EditDelete Support: Delete ended sessions older than 15 days
EditDelete Access: Delete ended sessions older than 30 days
EditDelete Access: Delete All Events events older than 30 days
EditDelete Support: Delete All Events events older than 30 days
EditDelete Compact database files

The DB went from almost a GB to 141MB. That was last week and we've not had an issue since. The VM is a 1 proc/2GB RAM instance and we have ~350 access sessions and typically between 5-15 support sessions. 3 techs and usually 2-3 active connections, each. Of course you could just keep throwing resources until the problem stops but for those of us on a budget, I thought I'd share.

Hope it helps someone.

Scott  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 3:14:47 PM(UTC)
Scott

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 351 time(s) in 303 post(s)
So our current Linux server setup uses a pretty out of date version of mono. Historically mono has been known for memory leaks and being somewhat unreliable at times, unfortunately. We are currently working through the process of updating our included version of mono to the latest which has numerous fixes for these issues. While I cannot completely guarantee this will correct what you're seeing, it will likely fix quite a few things

I don't have a solid ETA at the moment when this process will be done. If I had to guess it'll likely be ready in a month or two, but again that's just a guess.
ScreenConnect Team