logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Communication  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2019 6:23:08 PM(UTC)
Communication

Cyprus

Hello,
We have on our PCs two partitions C: and E: . C: partition is secured by Deepfreeze (Faronics). This software reboots PC every night and revert all changes made on C: drive during a day to its initial state. All changes made on E: drive remain intact.
We have Data Igloo (part of Faronics software) to redirect files/folders/registry key from C: partition to E: partition, it is useful in such cases when we can't install software on E: drive.
Such case is with ScreenConnect, during installation it doesn't offer to select installation partition and is installing automatically on C: drive.
We tried to redirect ScreenConnect system folders/files and registry keys to E: drive and screenconnect station was worked fine till some moment, I assume till first update. Then it became corrupted and we couldn't start ScreenConnect Client service anymore.
Could you please advise what changes occurs during the ScreenConnect Client update and where are system folders / registry key are located?
We found that screenconnect is installed to below folder:
C:\Program Files\ScreenConnect Client (a1s333cace4ce5t3)
or
C:\Program Files (x86)\ScreenConnect Client (a1s333cace4ce5t3)
and
C:\ProgramData\ScreenConnect Client (a1s333cace4ce5t3)

Below registry is created:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ScreenConnect Client (a1s333cace4ce5t3)

What means this value (a1s333cace4ce5t3) in the end of Screenconnect folder name? Is it stay permanent or will be changed after update?
In "ImagePath" in above mentioned registry key for Screenconnect service is below value:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\ScreenConnect Client (a1s333cace4ce5t3)\ScreenConnect.ClientService.exe" "?e=Access&y=Guest&h=instance-dfgdf4-relay.screenconnect.com&p=443&s=fdgfd4ww0-cre4-665d-bsdd-2d48a8a28317&k=fsdfsdFDSfSDFsdfDSfsdFsDSdgFgFDgSDADsAsasDasddBswDqvWD5CjdVG%2bRIQTNuonky%2bFIxhJTXXwtq7uexqJK%2fZzjkBC4r8WOuMTRCPoiZBTd9Aq84x0SHV5Rctz8ouAmkRIIHUGXmdlEvFTJyv5H%2bVn%2fl9U%2buxxeGEwowSBlslyZdsfsdfsd$%FGdfgfdsdfsdgbcv9iBFXpjVfX0zwrM3sdfsdfsDBCVBFGHYTJHGNVDSdfsdfsdgbdfbcvfgsdDSFDSfSDfDSfd9fGyRffHoV1xj1UQifGBt1dKCY&t=&c=Company_Name&c=&c=&c=&c=&c=&c=&c="
UNQUOTE

Does this value stay permanent all the time or it will be changed after update for example?
Let us know what system files/registry keys are created additionally what we missed above.
We need to redirect ScreenConnect utility on T: drive in order to automate updates on all our PCs. Right now all ScreenConnect updates/upgrades are removed every night.
Thank you in advance.
Scott  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2019 4:59:24 PM(UTC)
Scott

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 350 time(s) in 302 post(s)
If I'm reading your question correctly, are you wanting to change to where the client is installed?

I don't believe that's currently possible for the client, but you can add some feedback here.
ScreenConnect Team
Communication  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2019 5:07:50 PM(UTC)
Communication

Cyprus

Originally Posted by: Scott Go to Quoted Post
If I'm reading your question correctly, are you wanting to change to where the client is installed?

I don't believe that's currently possible for the client, but you can add some feedback here.

Hello,
Not exactly. I want to understand to what folders Screenconnect is installed on C: drive and what registry keys are created.
We have Data Igloo software which can redirect all changes made in specific folders/registry keys to another partition.
That is necessary to keep all screenconnect updates permanent. Otherwise Deepfreeze remove them everyday after PC's reboot.
Scott  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2019 1:59:59 PM(UTC)
Scott

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 350 time(s) in 302 post(s)
Thanks for clarifying, sorry I misread what you were originally after. I'll try to summarize the installation process and basics about the client launch procedure below. I'll be repeating some of the information you've already mentioned but it's mainly for consolidation and incase anyone else comes across this problem in the future.

When the client is installed, our wix installer stuff creates two folders:
-C:\Program Files (x86)\ScreenConnect Client (xxx)
-C:\ProgramData\xxx

The first folder is used to store the dlls and various configuration files such as client resources and the app.config file. The latter is used more like a cache location, primarily for the user.config file which stores some stateful information. I'm not too sure what else this second directory is used for an how much control we actually have over it.

Also, the service is created within the registry at
Code:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ScreenConnect Client (xxx)

The registry entry is mainly used to ensure the process is started after a reboot, etc. Within this registry entry, the ImagePath is the cmd that is called to start the process. You can copy and paste that value and run it normally to start the client without a service. The string it contains basically invokes the process and passes it the Client Launch Parameters (there's a breakdown of some of these parameters and their meanings here. In general these parameters will not change with upgrades, but it's always possible that we will add a new parameter or something else. We haven't done that in a while and I can't think of a coming feature that would require it, but it's always possible.

In order to ensure that our service is able to start when the computer is rebooted into safe mode we also create an entry in the registry at
Code:

System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\ScreenConnect Client (xxx)

Offhand that is all of the registry entries we create. There may be more, but at least I cannot find a specific reference within the code base.

In theory, if you have the ability to execute a script at startup you can just invoke the ClientService.exe directly with whatever parameters necessary from whatever location on disk. If that doesn't work I'd want to know because it might be a bug.
ScreenConnect Team