logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
aconnor  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 7, 2019 6:23:17 AM(UTC)
aconnor

Australia

Hi,
I'm looking for advice please on 2 issues- possibly related

1. When people update the name of their machine it does not get updated in Control.
I realise this may be desirable sometimes but it's difficult when I ask someone to tell me which machine they are on and it doesn't appear in the list because the name has changed.

2. I mostly deal with Macs, and it would be highly desirable to search by serial number. The info is easy to get from the Mac (all my other tools do it) but I've installed a number of Control plugins and can't get this to work

Any hints please?
aconnor  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2019 1:50:35 AM(UTC)
aconnor

Australia

So it turns out the answers are

1. the machine name does auto update when the sharing name is changed. I'm not sure why I've been having this issue, but I'll do more research

2. the Mac (not MAC) serial number is available to Control programatically, but is not part of a standard install. I have made a feature request via support
Brandon  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2019 3:13:18 PM(UTC)
Brandon

Was thanked: 98 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Thanks for posting an update with the resolution. As per your feature request, there is an extension coming out soon that will allow you to create custom fields that are automatically populated and may help get the serial number of your macOS machines.
ScreenConnect Team
aconnor  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2019 10:47:34 PM(UTC)
aconnor

Australia

Thanks Brandon,
Control already has a number of variables that it appears to get from the Mac. So extra info (like serial number) should be trivial to display as you appear to have already done the hard work in getting other info from the same source.