logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hoss  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2018 6:29:38 AM(UTC)
hoss

United States

I have screenconnect 4.0.5552.5051 and it has been very reliable until recently. The last 4 or so pcs have not taken to it well; the installers that I've used for several years result in an apparently successful installation, but no connection endpoint ever appears in the list of pcs. On the client side it shows "Waiting to retry". The client OS's that are behaving like this are Windows 2012 R2 and Windows 10 pro; some are vms and some are good old hardware.

I already use the zoho assist for many of the one off connections because it works more reliably than the screenconnect I have; I might switch to the version that allows standby connections if screenconnect continues to fall down on the job. But I like screenconnect better; with any luck this issue can be resolved and I can continue to use sc when there is a need for a persistent connection.

Does anyone know what "Waiting to retry" points to? I wasn't able to get anything useful from google searches on this issue.
shawnkhall  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2018 7:45:19 AM(UTC)
shawnkhall

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 27 post(s)
I wonder if your clients are being blocked by AV software? Recently I've had several clients that installed Avast and it broke, disabled, or removed my ScreenConnect installs.
hoss  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2018 4:27:47 PM(UTC)
hoss

United States

The server OS's have no av and the windows 10 pro notebook that I just bought has only the default msft av. The server OS's are new machines, almost nothing installed on them, and both hosts and vms do not offer themselves in the sc list.

This is new - I've installed sc on something like 30-40 pcs over the years and in the last period all have failed where none did before.
shawnkhall  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2018 6:58:36 PM(UTC)
shawnkhall

Man
United States

Are you using the exact same package you've been using to install or have you built another package?

Is SC giving an error such as "invalid key" / "couldn't sync"?
thanks 1 user thanked shawnkhall for this useful post.
hoss on 12/30/2018(UTC)
hoss  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2018 10:38:43 PM(UTC)
hoss

United States

Same exact packages - I have two of them and both now don't seem to produce well behaved clients. I don't see any errors other than "retry" but I'm not sure I know where to check, other than the taskbar msg. I'll poke around more.
hoss  
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 30, 2018 12:06:09 AM(UTC)
hoss

United States

ok, getting somewhere. The relay server for the clients that fail point to an ip address which I don't recognize, but which has the 8041 port that I have spec'd for access to the sc server. And I just noticed that the fail clients which use this odd ip address are all with recent installs that use the two installers I created in 2014. The two more recent installers use the url I'd expect, which is relay://somthing.mydomain.com:8041; and so do all of the older installations for the older 2 installers; and all of these work.

The timestamp on the old exe's remains 2014; they were not recreated in the recent period; but for some reason now the install using that ip address I don't recognize. How weird is that?

I might guess that if I simply recreate the two older installers they'll then use the url that works for relay server. I'll try that. But it would be interesting to hear how this circumstance might have arisen.
hoss  
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 30, 2018 12:28:50 AM(UTC)
hoss

United States

The refreshed installers work! Very cool. Thanks shawnkhall. If you have any notion of how it is true that the 2 old installers installed using the correct relay server, but started to use that bogus url in recent months, I'd be interested in hearing about it. Note, I haven't changed my ddns setup for about 2 years, but that was after the 2014 clients were installed that have been successfully running all along.

Edited by user Sunday, December 30, 2018 12:53:32 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

shawnkhall  
#8 Posted : Sunday, December 30, 2018 9:26:29 PM(UTC)
shawnkhall

Man
United States

Way back when I used 4.x and I had installed an updated license which broke the older installer. I was able to upgrade all my existing clients, but the old installers I used no longer had a valid session key so when installing the tray error reported "couldn't connect", but if I opened the SC messaging applet on the client, it showed the "last status" of "invalid key / couldn't sync". Rebuilding the installer fixed it for me, too.