logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ScottBeeson  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2018 3:45:47 AM(UTC)
ScottBeeson

We use remote access only. If I connect to a machine and look at participants, I see the account I'm logged in as and I see "Guest". What is the purpose of this? Can it be changed? It honestly confuses me. I don't see a way to "login" on the host. Shouldn't it show the Windows user? So confused :)
Scott  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 28, 2018 12:28:22 PM(UTC)
Scott

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 348 time(s) in 300 post(s)
I guess it might seem a bit confusing, but the term 'Guest' is just a term we apply to the 'Participant' of a connection. It's nothing more than a label. For Support and Access sessions, the 'Guest' connection is pretty much always labelled Guest just because we may not know the Windows user when the client is initializing and it can change as a Guest logs out/switches user. For Meeting sessions, however, we by default prompt the Guest when they initiate the join process for their name which is used in place of the term Guest.

You can also enable this behavior for Support sessions by changing the following Web Resource to true, found on the Appearance tab in the Administration page:
JoinPanel.SupportPromptParticipantNameVisible

You can control what text appears in the prompt with the Web Resource:
JoinPanel.SupportPromptMessage

I guess to summarize, 'Guest' is a default placeholding label because empty strings are ugly and architecturally we avoid null values where possible.
ScreenConnect Team