logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
georg.leitner  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 5, 2018 1:37:43 PM(UTC)
georg.leitner

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Austria

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
i have seen in the new 6.9 preview the option to switch to a [Background] logon session, where powershell and cmd is startet

UserPostedImage

should this be the new "interactive" shell feature?
If so, please add the option to directly connect to this "background" session. Currently you are connected first to the user session, after that you can change to the background session.
Also if you close powershell and cmd you cannot open it again. So check everytime the background session is opened, if it is runnning, if not, then start it.
And last but not least, when closing the session, the cmd and powershell should also be stopped. don't need additional running processes on a device, when not needed.

georg
Scott  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 12, 2018 12:54:07 PM(UTC)
Scott

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 348 time(s) in 300 post(s)
Yes, this is the new Interactive shell feature we're calling 'Backstage'.

Quote:
If so, please add the option to directly connect to this "background" session.

Absolutely. This was our intention from the beginning but we were having trouble getting the Modal UI correct as it would appear from the Host page. We're essentially adding a 'Join with Options' command to the context menu that appears when you right-click on a session on the Host page. This modal will have more options than just connect directly into the Backstage session but also the ability to connect into other active sessions, connect with the Host's input disabled, and a few others.

We weren't able to get it quite right in time for 6.9 and we didn't want to rush it so it should be included in 7.0.

Quote:
Also if you close powershell and cmd you cannot open it again.

Correct, if you close both active cmd and ps windows then you will have to swap out of the current terminal session and then rejoin it in order to respawn the processes. We should be adding an Extension that adds two items to the toolbox that when executed will respawn the processes to make this easier.

Quote:
And last but not least, when closing the session, the cmd and powershell should also be stopped.

I like the idea, I would recommend registering it within the Product Feedback Portal if you haven't already.
ScreenConnect Team
einars  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2018 9:20:36 AM(UTC)
einars

Latvia

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Just installed 6.9 and this is amazing feature! Can`t wait for ability to connect directly to Backstage!

Thank you!
ebell  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2018 8:05:17 PM(UTC)
ebell

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
How will the "Consent to Control" work when we are able to connect directly to Backstate? Will the user be prompted? Will this be another option available in either App.Config or security settings?
Matt Highsmith  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2018 8:50:09 PM(UTC)
Matt Highsmith

Medals: ScreenConnect Advisor: Focus Group MemberLevel 2: Lent a Helping Hand! 10 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Found some useful portable EXEs that can be used in the BACKSTAGE session. Great for us as the system we connect to is a proxy to other devices on the network and the managers are usually using that machine.

Explorer ++ - Via the Control Team - you can drag and drop from the backstage to your system, but you have to copy and CTRL V to go from your system to the backstage.

Q-Dir - another Explorer portable with 4 windows

Ultra-Vnc -you have to check the DirectX option, but you can then access another system on the network without using the current machine.

Angry IP Scanner - Scans the network for devices. not sure how helpful this will be yet.

thanks 1 user thanked Matt Highsmith for this useful post.
jasgot on 1/13/2019(UTC)
FilthX  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2018 5:16:40 PM(UTC)
FilthX

Excuse my n00bness but what is this and how can we use it?

Thanks in advance!
Scott  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2018 12:15:15 PM(UTC)
Scott

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 348 time(s) in 300 post(s)
@FilthX we're calling this "Backstage Mode" and you can read more in depth on our KB, specifically here.

Basically it's a way of connecting into Session 0 on Windows machines that allows you to interact with the machine without a person physically present infront of it aware that you're doing anything. You can select this Backstage session from the View control panel at the top of the Host client (the same dropdown control panel used to change which monitor is selected).

Backstage Mode is a new feature introduced in 6.9. In 7.0 we're adding a way to directly connect into the backstage from the Host page.
ScreenConnect Team
jasgot  
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2019 6:44:48 PM(UTC)
jasgot

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
You inspired me to search for more tools that work in BackStage.

These programs are either freeware or commercial products. Please follow the EULA as it fits your needs. If it is freeware, please consider donating to the author if you find it useful.

Originally Posted by: Matt Highsmith Go to Quoted Post
Found some useful portable EXEs that can be used in the BACKSTAGE session. Great for us as the system we connect to is a proxy to other devices on the network and the managers are usually using that machine.

Explorer ++ - Via the Control Team - you can drag and drop from the backstage to your system, but you have to copy and CTRL V to go from your system to the backstage.

Ultra-Vnc -you have to check the DirectX option, but you can then access another system on the network without using the current machine.

Angry IP Scanner - Scans the network for devices. not sure how helpful this will be yet.

jasgot  
#9 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2019 7:57:19 PM(UTC)
jasgot

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Had to add one more that just saved my behind. I needed to RDP to a server, from the Backstage of a workstation. (Server had lost DNS and was on the LAN but could not get to the internet, therefore Screenconnect was not available).

You cannot run MSTSC in Backstage.

But you can Run 2XClient (stand alone RDP client, no Windows RDP resources needed) It is flawless!

Just saved me an hour drive! I need to buy me a beer for this find!

Before I give you the link, let me say that it looks like Paralleles bought 2X and is not making 2XClient available for download from their site. (At least I couldn't find it there.)

But it is still downloadable from a bunch of other places. Here is one of them: https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/2x_client_portable

Also, at first run, you'll have to cancel the wizard and then go to File>New Connection in order to choose RDP. RDP is not available in the Wizard for some reason.

I'm pretty thrilled with this one. No long drive needed today!

Originally Posted by: jasgot Go to Quoted Post
You inspired me to search for more tools that work in BackStage.

These programs are either freeware or commercial products. Please follow the EULA as it fits your needs. If it is freeware, please consider donating to the author if you find it useful.

Originally Posted by: Matt Highsmith Go to Quoted Post

Edited by user Sunday, January 13, 2019 10:54:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Max  
#10 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 9:16:38 PM(UTC)
Max

United States

@jasgot and @Matt Highsmith, thanks for sharing all the different software you've tested for Backstage!

@ebell
Originally Posted by: ebell Go to Quoted Post
How will the "Consent to Control" work when we are able to connect directly to Backstate? Will the user be prompted? Will this be another option available in either App.Config or security settings?

There is a new "SwitchLogonSession" user permission that will also prevent hosts from connecting to backstage if more stringent security is required.
glass07  
#11 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 11:35:50 PM(UTC)
glass07

Anyone hear of an ETA for 7.0? Also wondering if there is a way to log off or clear the backstage session. It seems persistent unless there is a reboot.
Max  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2019 1:57:27 PM(UTC)
Max

United States

I don't know whether we have an ETA on 7.0 yet, but we are pushing to get a pre-release out soon. You should be able to clear the desktop by X-ing out all its windows, and whatever resources it is using will be deallocated automatically once there are no more running processes in Backstage. The persistent behavior is intentional, since we want users to be able to stop working and come back later to where they left off.