logo

The ConnectWise Control forum has moved to ConnectWise University! This forum has been locked and is in read-only mode. Click here for instructions on how to access the new forum.

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tdenson  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2018 11:48:51 AM(UTC)
tdenson

United Kingdom

I have just run a 14 day free trial successfully and have been able to connect to a number of hosts. However, I've now moved to the free version while I decide which plan to purchase if any. However, I cannot get to first base. I am totally baffled by instances and guests and control sites and control hosts and support sessions etc. etc. When I try and login to my screenconnect URL on the remote host it tells me to upgrade my license again. Is there something I can read which explains how it works, I find ConnectWise very confusing. I'm currently a TeamViewer user which seems so much more straightforward to use.

Scott  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2018 12:22:13 PM(UTC)
Scott

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 351 time(s) in 303 post(s)
From a high-level perspective, an instance of ConnectWise Control is a single implementation of the software within our Cloud environment. An instance is the central web-based portal used to connect to sessions, manage other Hosts/Technicians (people who connect into remote machines), and download the client software to provide unattended access to Guest computers (remote machines). While I am certainly not an expert on how TeamViewer works, I believe they do have both a web-based portal and a thick client that can be used to connect into other machines. Think of our web portal as a combination of these two aspects of TeamViewer.

So, looking at the cloud account registered with the same email address you used on the forum (but correct me if it's a different Cloud Account) I see two instances. The Free instance is using a hostname closer to your forum account username. It looks like you have a second instance with a separate hostname that was running a Trial which has now expired. When you attempt to navigate to this other instance it displays a message similar to 'This ConnectWise Control Instance is Inactive', because the Trial has expired.

Looking from the backend at your Free instance I see that you have two sessions under the Access section. This means that you have two remote machines that are available to be connected into at any point without requiring End-user interaction (their permission). There's a bit more information and a full-length guide on our KB, specifically here.

We have several full-length guides directed towards helping users get started from scratch also on our KB, found here.
ScreenConnect Team
thanks 1 user thanked Scott for this useful post.
tdenson on 7/5/2018(UTC)
tdenson  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2018 9:41:34 PM(UTC)
tdenson

United Kingdom

Thanks Scott for the rapid and informative response. I will study and digest.