logo

The ConnectWise Control forum has moved to ConnectWise University! This forum has been locked and is in read-only mode. Click here for instructions on how to access the new forum.

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mike.jones  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 4, 2018 1:05:38 AM(UTC)
mike.jones

United States

Has anyone configured their CWC install to allow your customers to access their endpoints?
We're exploring LMI replacement options. We use CWC to access our customer networks, but still have our LMI presence for our customers to access their PC's and servers remotely.

-Mike

SoCo_Systems  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 4, 2018 7:39:27 PM(UTC)
SoCo_Systems

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 21 post(s)
There are two options. The first is to create users/groups with security settings that restrict those users/groups to only certain computers. That would be a long term option. Or the short term option is that you can issue a host pass for each computer, which would grant someone access to it for up to 24 hours.

The catch is that with either of those options, you are cutting into your concurrent licenses when they are being used. (at least for those of us subscribed under the old concurrent sessions model. I have no idea how the host pass works with the new plans.)
thanks 1 user thanked SoCo_Systems for this useful post.
mike.jones on 7/5/2018(UTC)
mike.jones  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2018 2:56:22 AM(UTC)
mike.jones

United States

Originally Posted by: SoCo_Systems Go to Quoted Post
There are two options. The first is to create users/groups with security settings that restrict those users/groups to only certain computers. That would be a long term option. Or the short term option is that you can issue a host pass for each computer, which would grant someone access to it for up to 24 hours.

The catch is that with either of those options, you are cutting into your concurrent licenses when they are being used. (at least for those of us subscribed under the old concurrent sessions model. I have no idea how the host pass works with the new plans.)

Thanks for that info.
Our license gives us three concurrent support hosts.
I'm a bit confused on that licensing though. We have five techs, and all of us are in and out of CWC all day long.
I thought three concurrent meant only three of us could have an open CWC session at a time, but since sometimes five of us are in, that limit of three does not seem to be applicable.
I also though it meant we could only have three support sessions connected at a time, but I just connected to seven support (adhoc we call them as they are temporary) sessions with no problem.
There are times when I will have 15-20 access (unattended agent) sessions open at once while my co-workers are using CWC too.
I wonder if the fact that we integrate with CWA and CWM makes a difference in our license.

I suppose a call to CWC is in order so I understand this licensing correctly before I start telling our customers we have a new option for remote access.

-Mike

Scott  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2018 12:26:01 PM(UTC)
Scott

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 351 time(s) in 303 post(s)
@mike.jones if you want to PM me your LicenseID I can lookup what functionality is expected. You can find this information on the License tab within the Administration page in ConnectWise Control.

I'm a bit confused by what you're describing so I'd like to look it up in order to answer your question.
ScreenConnect Team
thanks 1 user thanked Scott for this useful post.
mike.jones on 7/5/2018(UTC)
mike.jones  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2018 3:29:40 PM(UTC)
mike.jones

United States

Originally Posted by: Scott Go to Quoted Post
@mike.jones if you want to PM me your LicenseID I can lookup what functionality is expected. You can find this information on the License tab within the Administration page in ConnectWise Control.

I'm a bit confused by what you're describing so I'd like to look it up in order to answer your question.

PM sent.

-Mike
chriscamp  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 6, 2018 4:32:19 AM(UTC)
chriscamp

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
We have Session Groups setup to handle access by different people. The different people in our case are internal users, but the concept works externally. You can restrict the session groups using things like domain name, ip address, or even a value manually entered in a custom property.