logo

The ConnectWise Control forum has moved to ConnectWise University! This forum has been locked and is in read-only mode. Click here for instructions on how to access the new forum.

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chriscamp  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2018 4:01:04 AM(UTC)
chriscamp

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
We have added some additional information to the Additional General Information extension and have been using it in 6.4. We would like to upgrade, but would prefer not to lose the additional information. I have a developer license applied to a cloud account, but am not sure what is needed to get the changes signed so we can use in our on premise instance? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks 1 user thanked chriscamp for this useful post.
vexation on 3/11/2018(UTC)

vexation  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2018 2:43:44 PM(UTC)
vexation

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: chriscamp Go to Quoted Post
We have added some additional information to the Additional General Information extension and have been using it in 6.4. We would like to upgrade, but would prefer not to lose the additional information. I have a developer license applied to a cloud account, but am not sure what is needed to get the changes signed so we can use in our on premise instance? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

No idea what is involved but we're in the same boat as you.

The Additional General Information extension is a great idea. Given that it can poll literally any information via WMI it's a real shame that it's currently limited to just the model, bios, serial but this was easily changed.

To be able to see things such as total disk space, free disk space, local IP address, anti-virus, TPM etc etc is a god-send but no longer possible after upgrading to 6.5

This is the main reason I'd like to see https://control.product....-custom-extensions-in-65 approved.

I understand why they now require digital signatures (from both a security and a product line-up point of view) but I really think it's something that should default to being on but with an option to disable / whitelist specific extensions.
thanks 1 user thanked vexation for this useful post.
shawnkhall on 3/12/2018(UTC)
Scott  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 11:12:27 AM(UTC)
Scott

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 351 time(s) in 303 post(s)
@chriscamp in order to use a custom extension as of 6.5+ it must be signed. You can get an extension signed by submitting it for review (info here). Within the Submission Notes just include something saying that it's intended for Private use only, that way we know to just send the Signature back to the email addressed used for the revision's submission.

@vexation I can definitely see your point and it's valid. To me, however, this is a good Feature Request for a new/different Extension that allows you to configure/specify commands to automatically execute against a remote machine in order to retrieve information. To be honest I didn't think Additional General Information would be as popular as it has become, which is also why we're rolling pretty much everything it does into 6.6 by default (might be 6.7 so don't quote me).

I'm going to register something about creating a more generic extension for this capability but it certainly wouldn't hurt to register something within our Product Feedback Portal.
ScreenConnect Team
chriscamp  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2018 1:37:30 PM(UTC)
chriscamp

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
This process was super easy and the turnaround was very fast. The ease and speed experienced here really helps alleviate a lot of the concerns I have had with the new requirement. Thank you for a very positive experience.

Thanks,
Chris Campbell
number_one  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2018 2:03:19 AM(UTC)
number_one

United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 5 post(s)
@chriscamp That's great that you had an easy turnaround. Clearly some other people (including the one who opened the whitelist extension feature request) didn't have such a speedy turnaround time, and that unpredictability is where the issue really lies. There is simply no reason to put a private extension developed for private use through the same approval process as a public extension.

If there are no nefarious intentions at play then I don't see why asking for an exemption to the rules (only for private extensions) is an issue. In other words, if all ConnectWise is going to do is "automatically approve" a private extension, then why even have the approval process for private extensions at all? If a private extension is NOT going to be automatically approved, then that opens a whole different can of worms, but I'm not trying to assume the worst because everything I've read from ConnectWise staff asserts that private extensions will be approved without any special rules. But if that's the case, then it seems like ConnectWise is just putting themselves in a position to do a lot of unnecessary grunt-work, and inevitably there will be backlogs of private extensions from time to time that take a while to get "approved".

It just seems to me like it would be easier on everybody to give self-hosted customers an opt-out for the whole extension approval process (only for private extensions of course).
user3235442  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 1, 2018 2:23:17 AM(UTC)
user3235442

United States

It's a bit of an offensive decision for connectwise to try to govern what extensions people install on a private server.
Must relate to cash somehow. Not allowing people to sell extensions except in a manner where connectwise can take a cut.
It's the general trend in the industry, take control away from people and sell little pieces of it back to them one at a time through an app store or the like.
Shame on you, connectwise.
Shame.
shawnkhall  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 1, 2018 6:42:41 PM(UTC)
shawnkhall

Man
United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Please be sure to upvote this feature request:
https://control.product....-custom-extensions-in-65