logo

The ConnectWise Control forum has moved to ConnectWise University! This forum has been locked and is in read-only mode. Click here for instructions on how to access the new forum.

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
klmservices  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 21, 2017 5:03:38 PM(UTC)
klmservices

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi all.. This may or not be possible but I figure I would ask the experts. I have a home computer in which I have a permanent access session and I can connect to that PC without issues. My wife sometimes work from home and connects to Cisco VPN and then RDP to her office PC. At times she needs help with something on the PC and because she is connected to a VPN I can no longer see the PC, even though the SC client is installed. Is there a work around where I can access the PC regardless to whether or not the PC is connect to the VPN?

Thanks in advance.

Matt Highsmith  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 21, 2017 8:28:58 PM(UTC)
Matt Highsmith

Medals: ScreenConnect Advisor: Focus Group MemberLevel 2: Lent a Helping Hand! 10 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 12 post(s)
you can try the following so that all internet traffic is no longer using the VPN connection. Most likely the firewall on the VPN is blocking the ports for SC.

From the Control Panel, choose "Network & Internet."
Click "View Network Status and Tasks."
Click "Manage Network Connections."
Right-click on your VPN connection and select "Properties."
Select the "Networking" tab.
Highlight "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IP v4)."
Click "Properties."
Click "Advanced."
Uncheck the "Use default gateway on remote network" box.
Click "OK" three times to close the windows you opened.
From that point forward, only traffic destined for your corporate network will be sent through the VPN. All other traffic will use the local network.
klmservices  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 21, 2017 9:55:23 PM(UTC)
klmservices

Originally Posted by: Matt Highsmith Go to Quoted Post
you can try the following so that all internet traffic is no longer using the VPN connection. Most likely the firewall on the VPN is blocking the ports for SC.

From the Control Panel, choose "Network & Internet."
Click "View Network Status and Tasks."
Click "Manage Network Connections."
Right-click on your VPN connection and select "Properties."
Select the "Networking" tab.
Highlight "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IP v4)."
Click "Properties."
Click "Advanced."
Uncheck the "Use default gateway on remote network" box.
Click "OK" three times to close the windows you opened.
From that point forward, only traffic destined for your corporate network will be sent through the VPN. All other traffic will use the local network.

Thanks Matt...I followed your instructions, although my steps were a little different. SC connect isn't still available once connected to the
VPN. I will keep at it hoping to figure this out.
MannyTC  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 21, 2017 10:38:55 PM(UTC)
MannyTC

Medals: Bug Buster Level One: Spoon!Level 3: Shirt off your back! Received 25 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Many companies have policies in place that force the VPN client when active to only send traffic through the VPN. This still happens even after attempting the change that was suggested above. One reason that won't work is the Cisco VPN Client software does not typically show up as a choice to make that change. Since all traffic is still going to the company network the SC packets are probably being dropped.

If the VPN client is not locked down there should be a similar setting inside of it that you can tell it to allow access to the local network while the VPN is active. I am sometimes able to do that for customers who cannot print to their local network printers when the VPN is active. Take a look and see if you can find a setting for that.

Edited by user Wednesday, June 21, 2017 10:41:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

klmservices  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 21, 2017 11:23:03 PM(UTC)
klmservices

Originally Posted by: MannyTC Go to Quoted Post
Many companies have policies in place that force the VPN client when active to only send traffic through the VPN. This still happens even after attempting the change that was suggested above. One reason that won't work is the Cisco VPN Client software does not typically show up as a choice to make that change. Since all traffic is still going to the company network the SC packets are probably being dropped.

If the VPN client is not locked down there should be a similar setting inside of it that you can tell it to allow access to the local network while the VPN is active. I am sometimes able to do that for customers who cannot print to their local network printers when the VPN is active. Take a look and see if you can find a setting for that.

That must be the case. I guess it is locked down. VPN says Tunnel All Traffic. This is suck, because I often need access to my system and sometime my wife forgets to logout of VPN.

Thanks for you guys responses. It certainly help me understand the problem.