logo

The ConnectWise Control forum has moved to ConnectWise University! This forum has been locked and is in read-only mode. Click here for instructions on how to access the new forum.

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
remotetech  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2018 12:00:24 AM(UTC)
remotetech

Hello Fellow ScreenConnect customers.......... or labtech/ connectwise control... or whatever it's called now.

I got the approval to purchase screen connect for our organization and we decided to purchase the self hosted option due to the
high cost of per client connection and ongoing price with each installation of the agent.

What I've searched for but cannot find is the actual space/storage requirements and caveat with specific server install types.

Windows Vs Linux and the flavorings. I'm asking here because I know the (SC) Community has lots of answers.

I'm looking at installing around 150-200 endpoints to start and plan to grow to 750.

Can anyone help provide some insight on updates / capacity / bandwidth requirements for this scale?

Also, I'm disappointed in the product price increase.... but I do understand the reasoning behind it... and at least respect the option
of the ONE TIME purchase price still being available to use... (as much as it sucks.... )

Thanks

Summo  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2018 10:40:37 AM(UTC)
Summo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have ConnectWise Control running from my home office on a tiny micro PC with Win 10, Intel Celeron N2807, 4GB RAM, 64GB SSD, supporting 150 clients. When idle, ConnectWise Control uses about 1.6% CPU and 85MB RAM. I suspect this will run on anything.

Not a scientific reply, but I dunno it might be useful to you.
SoCo_Systems  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2018 12:29:52 PM(UTC)
SoCo_Systems

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 21 post(s)
The official requirements/recommendations are listed here:
https://docs.connectwise...rver_system_requirements

Windows is recommended when you get into a larger number of concurrent connections, and increased system requirements seem to be tied more to the number of concurrent connections than to the total number of clients.

Like Summo, I went with a micro-PC. (I've tried a few models now) I'm currently using this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K4K7C8S
with 8Gb ram, a 250Gb Samsung SSD, and Win10 Pro. It is running close to 200 clients w/2 concurrent connections, while also acting as a web server, book server, backup host, and a few other things, all without missing a beat.

I have a second "mirror" box setup at a different location. The server's ScreenConnect directory gets synced each night between the two, so that if the main box or its internet connection goes down, I can swap over to the mirror box by just changing which IP the DNS points to.

remotetech  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2018 2:50:59 AM(UTC)
remotetech

Originally Posted by: SoCo_Systems Go to Quoted Post
The official requirements/recommendations are listed here:
https://docs.connectwise...rver_system_requirements

I have a second "mirror" box setup at a different location. The server's ScreenConnect directory gets synced each night between the two, so that if the main box or its internet connection goes down, I can swap over to the mirror box by just changing which IP the DNS points to.

How do you sync the settings? folders / database files etc? I would also like to have a backup server.

SoCo_Systems  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2018 9:43:18 AM(UTC)
SoCo_Systems

Man
United States

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 21 post(s)
You just need to copy the C:\Program Files (x86)\ScreenConnect\ folder. Technically you you only need a couple of folders and files inside that, but I found it easier to copy the whole thing.
shawnkhall  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2018 4:38:26 PM(UTC)
shawnkhall

Man
United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 29 post(s)
I'm running about 350 devices from a Windows 2012 Server with 16GB and 8 CPUs. I also have a bunch of other stuff running from the server (hundreds of websites, databases, various maintenance services, file distribution hub, and more) and it never hits 10% of resources consumed. Ever. If I didn't get a great deal on it I would be replacing it with a machine a quarter of the size.