logo

The ConnectWise Control forum has moved to ConnectWise University! This forum has been locked and is in read-only mode. Click here for instructions on how to access the new forum.

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Van Y Rue  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2016 6:47:23 PM(UTC)
Van Y Rue

I am testing out the trial, but my goal is to have users that are limited to certain computers, and those computers only. I have Vendors that require access to their systems and software, but I want no access to computers they dont need.

I am confused because the settings are all over the place, and the instructions as well.

http://forum.screenconne...-machines.aspx#post14692
https://help.screenconne.../Managing_session_groups
https://help.screenconne...er_roles_and_permissions
http://forum.screenconne...computers.aspx#post24166

I created a new user, check. I created a Session Group, check.
I am stuck, because I am not finding how to add specific computers to "Session Groups" in these instructions.

Thanks in advance.

Scott  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2016 1:13:33 PM(UTC)
Scott

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 351 time(s) in 303 post(s)
Welcome! Awesome to hear that you're trialing the software and I appreciate you joining our forum!

So, Session Groups work based upon filters that you define which specify what machines should be displayed within that specific group. This means that if you have several sessions where the operating system's name contains "server" (ie Windows Server 2012, etc) and you want to create a group that displays all of those machines, you would use a filter similar to:

Code:

GuestOperatingSystemName LIKE '*server*'

Basically, ScreenConnect compares your filter against all sessions/machines and any session that matches the filter (returns true) is displayed within the group.

Now, looking at your specific example, do you already have something in place that can be used to denote to which machines the vendors need access? This could be anything from the Name of the session(s) to something that you define (such as a Custom Property).
ScreenConnect Team
Van Y Rue  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2016 3:44:50 PM(UTC)
Van Y Rue

Originally Posted by: Scott Go to Quoted Post

Now, looking at your specific example, do you already have something in place that can be used to denote to which machines the vendors need access? This could be anything from the Name of the session(s) to something that you define (such as a Custom Property).

No, my computer names don't indicate anything I could seperate automatically, I use simple VM-W12-(function) or VM-LX-(function) for vitual machines, and SERV1-W12-(function for phyiscal machines), but the only variable is the function, so for example VM-W12-MUI, or VM-W12-Quickbooks. Can these be added individually based on the unique function field?
Scott  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 15, 2016 1:32:47 PM(UTC)
Scott

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 351 time(s) in 303 post(s)
Quote:
Can these be added individually based on the unique function field?

Absolutely. In my previous post I linked to an article about Custom Properties and how to enable them. By default CustomProperty1 is enabled out of the box and set to Organization, but you could easily use the steps in the KB article to enable CustomProperty2 and set it to something like "Vendor Access". After that, you would go back to the Host page and right-click on each machine (you can also use the check boxes on the middle-left hand side to select multiple machines and then right-click Edit) to which vendors should have access and select 'Edit'. Within the modal that pops up just type something like 'true' into the Vendor Access field and save the change.

After doing that, go back to the Manage Session Groups dialog and create a new group with the Carriage Return arrow. Name that group whatever you want, and for the filter add something like:
Code:

CustomProperty2 = 'true'

This group will then display any session whose CustomProperty2 is set to true.
ScreenConnect Team