logo

The ConnectWise Control forum has moved to ConnectWise University! This forum has been locked and is in read-only mode. Click here for instructions on how to access the new forum.

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Scott  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2015 7:51:46 PM(UTC)
Scott

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 351 time(s) in 303 post(s)
Updated instructions to disable remote printing can be found here.

To disable remote printing, add the following entry to the web.config file's appSettings section (same section that contains WebServerListenUri and RelayListenUri):

Code:

<add key="DisableRemotePrinting" value="true" />

This globally disables remote printing on ScreenConnect version 5.2.8694+

Edited at by user Friday, November 17, 2017 4:39:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ScreenConnect Team
thanks 3 users thanked Scott for this useful post.
msboucha on 3/19/2015(UTC), StephenITSG on 6/22/2015(UTC), clickright on 7/10/2015(UTC)

AustinKnight  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2015 2:48:19 PM(UTC)
AustinKnight

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Looks like it's time for someone to build an extension with ondemand preferences for printing.
JASON T. AUSTIN
Lead Network Engineer
Falcon Development, Inc.
www.falcondevelopment.com

bigdessert  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2015 1:46:51 AM(UTC)
bigdessert

Medals: ScreenConnect Advisor: Focus Group MemberLevel 3: Shirt off your back! Received 25 Thanks!

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Agreed, it would have been nice to have this in the security section so it could be enabled/disabled per group.
Jeff  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2015 1:55:15 AM(UTC)
Jeff

Man

Was thanked: 156 time(s) in 122 post(s)
We are going to have to sit down and talk a bit more about where certain features should be controlled. There are things done at client level, server, session manager, relay, etc. Some make sense to be in certain places, in some cases we make a judgment call. But all of this is on radar to review and talk through. Thanks to everyone for feedback.
ScreenConnect Team
TT_Vert  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2015 5:27:15 PM(UTC)
TT_Vert

Views messages in topic : 32

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
So where do we stand with this? Is it being implemented?
Jeff  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 4:28:02 PM(UTC)
Jeff

Man

Was thanked: 156 time(s) in 122 post(s)
Its still be considered. When we started this discussion 5.2 and 5.3 were in development. We haven't officially released 5.3 yet so once done and out the door we will look at bigger changes to the feature.
ScreenConnect Team
promptcare  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2015 3:32:01 PM(UTC)
promptcare

Medals: ScreenConnect Advisor: Focus Group MemberLevel 2: Lent a Helping Hand! 10 Thanks!

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Had two PCs this week where the remote printers got left behind. On one, the PC hung during the session and I had to go out in person the next day. Found my printers still present. And just got a phone call 5 mins about a PC that had been on my bench last week (I connect to PCs on my bench so I can keep working at my desk) but its sessions had been ended properly. I have yet to even use remote printing so have disabled it now.
PODc0m  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2015 9:49:24 PM(UTC)
PODc0m

New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'd like to see individual Printer Sessions optional (or ondemand), allowing the support technician to be able to choose to share individual Printers with the Remote Session.

In my example, I can sometimes have 20+ printers locally, and having these "all" automatically shared with every remote session I establish is painful. I'm at the point of disabling this feature completely - although can see the benefit of being able to print back to my support office from time to time.

So ... I'd like to see the Client Toolbar (where the View, Misc, Toolbox, File Transfer, etc icons are), a Printer icon that drops down a list of all of the local tech Printers, and then allows the support tech to enable each individual printer they want to share with the Remote Session. So "if" I want to print something back to me, I simply enable one Printer of my choice, wait for it to connect with the Remote session, and then print to it.
thanks 2 users thanked PODc0m for this useful post.
genesisgroup on 6/24/2015(UTC), Kuffy on 7/1/2015(UTC)
Kuffy  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2015 6:11:54 AM(UTC)
Kuffy

United Kingdom

Selectable on connection certainly needed. I've just had to support someone with printer issues but having my printers suddenly end up on the printer page, with default as a default, only confused matters. I'll probably disable this feature completely for now.
clegere  
#10 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2015 12:56:09 PM(UTC)
clegere

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I would like to see it on a toolbar as well, maybe copying how log me in does it would be a great way. the Hot Setup would be add one client printer to the host on demand with a dropdown and check box type screen, and since the on-demand will take a bit of time to finish, a pop-up that it completed. Since I do a ton of printer troubleshooting on a daily basis with SC, the thing adding all my (carl) printers makes life harder.
clegere  
#11 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2015 12:56:52 PM(UTC)
clegere

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I would like to see it on a toolbar as well, maybe copying how log me in does it would be a great way. the Hot Setup would be add one client printer to the host on demand with a dropdown and check box type screen, and since the on-demand will take a bit of time to finish, a pop-up that it completed. Since I do a ton of printer troubleshooting on a daily basis with SC, the thing adding all my (carl) printers makes life harder.
cxgl  
#12 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2015 3:51:44 PM(UTC)
cxgl

United States

+1 for making this on-demand and/or per-client or per-group or per-CustomProperty.

This is screwing with some of our clients, notably causing eventlog errors in w2012 servers.
clickright  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2015 5:45:17 PM(UTC)
clickright

Medals: ScreenConnect Advisor: Focus Group MemberLevel 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Canada

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have added that line to my web.config file (I have verified that it's in the correct place along with WebServerListenUri and RelayListenUri)

However, I'm still seeing the printers show up on my client's end. Please, how can I make it stop!?
Mike  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2015 3:15:20 PM(UTC)
Mike

Medals: Level 3: Shirt off your back! Received 25 Thanks!

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
@clickright - Please ccontact us via chat or ticket submission at https://www.screenconnect.com/Support. We'll probably need to set up a support session to troubleshoot the issue.

Edited by moderator Monday, October 10, 2016 7:52:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ScreenConnect Team
clickright  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2015 6:55:11 PM(UTC)
clickright

Medals: ScreenConnect Advisor: Focus Group MemberLevel 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Canada

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mike Go to Quoted Post
@clickright - Please contact us via chat or ticket submission at https://www.screenconnect.com/Support. We'll probably need to set up a support session to troubleshoot the issue.

Thanks Mike. Checking again today, I see it's only happening for some clients. Will see if I can determine what the distinguishing factors are.

Edited by moderator Monday, October 10, 2016 7:53:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rmmccann  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2015 1:34:13 PM(UTC)
rmmccann

Medals: Level 2: Lent a Helping Hand! 10 Thanks!

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Is remote printing still enabled by default? If so, do printers only get installed when a host connects to the session? This is the main feature that has kept me from upgrading past 4.4.
MannyTC  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2015 4:17:15 PM(UTC)
MannyTC

Medals: Bug Buster Level One: Spoon!Level 3: Shirt off your back! Received 25 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rmmccann Go to Quoted Post
Is remote printing still enabled by default? If so, do printers only get installed when a host connects to the session? This is the main feature that has kept me from upgrading past 4.4.

I believe it is still enabled by default. If you upgrade just update the web.config to disable it and restart your services before connecting to any guests. That is what we did when we upgraded and never had an issue. Once the remote printing feature works better we will re-enable it.
yinfante  
#18 Posted : Friday, August 21, 2015 3:30:30 PM(UTC)
yinfante

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello All,

I have added the line to disable remote printing to my web.config file, then restarted all of my screenconnect services but still when i connect to my clients my printers start to show up under Devices and Printers.

The reason for me to disable this is because i have experienced issues with them going away after i disconnect from the client. Besides i would like to control when i want my printers to be shared with my clients.

We are using ScreenConnect 5.3 (stable)
yinfante  
#19 Posted : Friday, August 21, 2015 3:58:26 PM(UTC)
yinfante

United States

Disregard my last, i was able to make it work, turns out the line was added in the wrong AppSettings.

HavenZone  
#20 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2016 5:28:18 PM(UTC)
HavenZone

United States

This feature needs to be made to be OnDemand... It is a great idea but it almost never uninstalls the printers on the client side. We have clients printing into our office all of the time because of this. It needs to be so you can opt to use it when needed and have it select one printer to install... I have printers that have been removed but SC still installs them on the client side. I hate the fact that I have to globally disable this but since it doesn't work well I have no choice.
Mike  
#21 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2016 4:54:27 PM(UTC)
Mike

Medals: Level 3: Shirt off your back! Received 25 Thanks!

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Remote Printing is now a role based permission feature in 5.6, so you will not have to globally disable it.

Clients printing to your machines is an odd behavior if you're disconnected from the machine, I would recommend contacting support to help troubleshoot.

Edited by user Monday, February 15, 2016 4:55:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ScreenConnect Team