logo

The ConnectWise Control forum has moved to ConnectWise University! This forum has been locked and is in read-only mode. Click here for instructions on how to access the new forum.

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sa-rpb  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 4, 2015 7:43:39 PM(UTC)
sa-rpb

Canada

Here is the scenario:
Our client's server has specialty software for their specific business for which they pay the software vendor for support.
This vendor needs to get access to work on the server but doesn't have their own remote solution (what's up with that??).

Without having to create user accounts for the vendor, what is the easiest way to get the vendor onto this remote server (remote to both us and the vendor)?

Thoughts?

TT_Vert  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 5, 2015 3:19:46 PM(UTC)
TT_Vert

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Have the customer purchase a logmein pro license and use that. I don't think SC is there yet as far as this goes. Prior to this I was able to allow my LMI users to create a free login and utilize my LMI accounts that I delegated them administrative permissions to. It isn't your responsibility to provide this functionality for your software vendor. With that said, a free screen connect account tied to our (your) delegated pcs would be nice.

Dave
nobody961  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2015 8:29:00 PM(UTC)
nobody961

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Germany

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I dont under stand this:
"Without having to create user accounts for the vendor, what is the easiest way to get the vendor onto this remote server"

Where do you dont want to create a user account ?

In Screenconnect you can tie a Screenconnect to a specific Machine. This user does not neccessarily need an account on the server. Screenconnect will connect him to the console. It this is locked, and he does not have an account then he is unable to do whatever he likes to do. But you could unlock the Console for him using your account on the Server.
However, he must have a Screenconnect account on your scrrenconnect server, otherwise he cannot access the system.

rmmccann  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2015 4:11:29 AM(UTC)
rmmccann

Medals: Level 2: Lent a Helping Hand! 10 Thanks!

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Assuming a Windows Server environment, enable RDP and perhaps firewall it to specific IPs (I would assume the software vendor would have a static IP or subnet). My understanding is that the ScreenConnect license does not allow third party use of your license for remote access. The license covers you and your staff/company only.
Jeff  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2015 2:28:06 AM(UTC)
Jeff

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

Man

Was thanked: 156 time(s) in 122 post(s)
We are starting to address how we handle other organizations using your software. That said our restriction was never around companies assisting you to help your team or customers. Our concern was around companies selling or giving access away of the software to other organizations. I expect to have some updates to our EULA to permit more openness here for certain license types and use models.

Back to this particular issue I believe the request focuses around providing a link or something that provides temp access to a session without going through the setup of user or role in ScreenConnect. This can be especially useful for AD auth situations. It is something I have noted but don't have today. It would need to be done by setting up a role and user in ScreenConnect. Some companies use generic logins that their partners can use and they move sessions in/out of those folders by editing custom properties or note fields.
ScreenConnect Team
dforshee  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2015 1:07:25 PM(UTC)
dforshee

United States

Just create a meeting session and join the machine with the special software to the meeting session.
Use a code if you want to restrict access to only those that know a code.
When prompted, give full control to everyone joined to the session.
You will likely need to rejoin the session everyday or just when the vendor needs access

Than to remote in enter the code on the screen connect guest page and click the arrow to load the remote session

Edited by user Wednesday, March 25, 2015 1:11:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling errors

KBrickler  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2015 8:50:35 PM(UTC)
KBrickler

+1 for allowing 3rd party access. We use AD for user access control and don't want any un-needed additional accounts in AD. Would it a possible quick fix be to allow for both LDAP and local database for access control. That way we could create accounts for outside users in ScreenConnect and not have to add things to AD.