logo

The ConnectWise Control forum has moved to ConnectWise University! This forum has been locked and is in read-only mode. Click here for instructions on how to access the new forum.

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ivanskie  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 17, 2014 5:15:46 PM(UTC)
ivanskie

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere else yet. The wiki page makes a slight hint at it which is easy to miss I think.

I've moved our ScreenConnect server a couple times. First time was some months ago, and I had to manually re-connect to each unattended machine and re-install the agent.
Ended up losing some of those connections.

And I've just had to move the ScreenConnect server yet again. Except this time it was a completely painless process. So, I'd like to share this important tip, and make this very clear.

1. Copy your backed up ScreenConnect installation folder over.

2. Download and install the appropriate ScreenConnect version and install over it.

3. (This is the time saving tip) Leave your old server up and running, go to web.config file and change:
<add key="RelayListenUri" value="relay://0.0.0.0:8041/">

Update this to your new IP address, or even better a url.
Login to your new server, and watch all the unattended connections go green one by one.

And of course, don't forget to decommission your old screenconnect installation, otherwise you may have an issue with your license.
Other don't-forget-checklist items: open all the right ports that you need on the new machine, make sure directory permissions (if linux) are correct.

Hope this helps someone.

P.S.: please correct me if this is not qualified to be a "best practice" guide.

Edited by user Monday, November 17, 2014 5:19:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CyberStorm  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 18, 2014 10:06:42 AM(UTC)
CyberStorm

South Africa

Great tip there ivanskie.

I moved my Server recently as well. Had I known this - would have saved some grief and anxiety as I waited for the unattended clients on the server to go green.
jayfischer  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 18, 2014 4:11:01 PM(UTC)
jayfischer

Can someone from SC or someone else who knows the innards of SC - explain this? I am going to be moving our SC server to a AWS instance and have been researching how best to move our unattended's to check back to the new IP/URL.

I was under the assumption I needed to upgrade the SC clients software on each unattended BEFORE the switch over with the "new" URL. Thereby losing connection with the old server - and as soon as the new server is up and running they would start checking in there.

Does the server sense the web.config change of URL's and start updating ALL the unattended clients call back URL?

Thanks.
Jeff  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 25, 2014 3:53:16 PM(UTC)
Jeff

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

Man

Was thanked: 156 time(s) in 122 post(s)
Every situation could be different here but lets talk about simplest and more complex options.

Simple
Lets say you have 4.4 installed and all unattended clients are calling back to a DNS address. Your subdomain then resolves that DNS to the correct external IP and your router then routes that to correct internal IP address. You want to move this to a new server on same network as today.

A) Backup your installation folder
B) Install 4.4 on new server, stop service, and then move the installation folder over to replace files
* This is putting your web.config in place which has the key for establishing connections to your clients
* Now you basically have an exact copy of your old machine on the new machine
C) Now you just need to adjust your subdomain to point to the new IP address and probably change your port forwarding rules at router to new internal address

*Not that no change has to be made to web.config in this model because your unattended clients are connecting to a DNS name not an IP address.
* The model I described is going to same OS type (Windows to Windows for example)

More Complex
Here you might have 4.4 installed and maybe they are all calling back to an IP address:8041. You want to move this and you want to point them at a new IP address and you want to change the port to :80

A) Backup your installation folder
B) Install 4.4 on new server, stop service, and then move the installation folder over to replace files
* This is putting your web.config in place which has the key for establishing connections to your clients
* Now you basically have an exact copy of your old machine on the new machine
C) Make sure the new server is working, ports forwarded correctly, etc
D) While old install is still up you now want to change the web.config here and push out reinstall so that you can push out the new relay address to all your machines. This is tricky and you want to be sure you do it right. But once done all the machines on old server will start to show up as gray (no connection) and the new serve will start to populate.

I believe someone is updating this article but most of what I said is here: http://help.screenconnec...allation_to_a_new_server

ScreenConnect Team