logo

The ConnectWise Control forum has moved to ConnectWise University! This forum has been locked and is in read-only mode. Click here for instructions on how to access the new forum.

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Daf  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2011 9:06:15 AM(UTC)
Daf

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi,

so ScreenConnect is great for supporting and cleaning up remote computers, but I work mainly with home users so I can't tell them what to do or not do on their PCs (as opposed to in the corporate environment.)
Any tips on how I can keep client PCs clean, so that I'm not getting phonecalls a month down the line regarding some malware or another.

bigdessert  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2011 7:39:14 PM(UTC)
bigdessert

Medals: ScreenConnect Advisor: Focus Group MemberLevel 3: Shirt off your back! Received 25 Thanks!

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 32 post(s)
a decent up to date antivirus and a little end user training seems to go a long way for us.

In corporate environments we use web filtering devices that pretty much eliminate 100% of it
The Open File  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2011 7:46:07 AM(UTC)
The Open File

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi Daf,

If you work with home users a lot, you actually can tell them what to do. Not in the way corporations do, however. You get them to *want* to do what you suggest because of your experience and ability. Anyway, here is what I do when working with a home user for the first time. First, I always do the first support at their home. Nothing is better than face-to-face, not even ScreenConnect. :)

1. Clean out temp folders in Windows and all users' profile folders.
2. Go over all installed programs with the user and remove programs not used, especially all the bloatware installed by the PC's manufacturer.
3. Inspect what runs at startup and eliminate unnecessary items.
4. Empty the recycle bin.
5. Install and configure a program like CCleaner to automate many cleanup procedures.
6. Make sure to run Windows Update and make sure all apps are up to date. (e.g. Version 5 of Adobe Reader is just a little out of date.)
7. If they don't have proper anti-virus/spyware software, install and configure your favorites.
8. Defragment the drive.
9. Install ScreenConnect unattended access client.
10. Check PC for adequate RAM, etc. and suggest increase if necessary.
11. Check that their router is configured with security. If not, configure it and all PC's accordingly.

This accomplishes several things:

a) Makes the PC's run faster and more efficiently, thereby proving to the client you know what you're doing.
b) Adds another hour or so to your bill, making you a few more bucks.
c) Does a great service to the client, giving purpose to what you do.
d) Allows you to support the client at any time later on.
Mike Petersen
The Open File