logo

The ConnectWise Control forum has moved to ConnectWise University! This forum has been locked and is in read-only mode. Click here for instructions on how to access the new forum.

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sysadmin  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 21, 2011 1:59:24 PM(UTC)
sysadmin

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I need to remove an unattended session from the server, but don't have access to the client to uninstall it.

I'm thinking there must be a way to force expiration on whatever token or key is being used, but I have no idea how to go about that. A simple "delete" such as LogMeIn has would be a HUGE HELP right now.

Edited by user Thursday, July 21, 2011 2:04:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

feri  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2011 8:57:49 AM(UTC)
feri

Man

I would like to see this option too.
IT Services
www.icore.ro
sysadmin  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2011 11:44:12 AM(UTC)
sysadmin

I really need an answer to know if this is possible. If it's not, I will have to reinstall the server and redeploy all clients, which I'd like to avoid if at all possible.

Should I be emailing support to get an answer from the devs on this?
Jake  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2011 12:13:33 PM(UTC)
Jake

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

Was thanked: 393 time(s) in 188 post(s)
I'm not sure I understand you. Can you just connect to the client and uninstall it? Don't you have access to the client by it being connected to the server? I just join the session and go to add/remove programs and uninstall.

Also, reinstalling and redeploying clients may not fix. Clients will continue to connect back to the server after a reinstall!

Edited by user Friday, July 22, 2011 12:16:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ScreenConnect Team
sysadmin  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2011 12:55:34 PM(UTC)
sysadmin

Jake Morgan wrote:
I'm not sure I understand you. Can you just connect to the client and uninstall it? Don't you have access to the client by it being connected to the server? I just join the session and go to add/remove programs and uninstall.

Also, reinstalling and redeploying clients may not fix. Clients will continue to connect back to the server after a reinstall!

Not in a typical situation here. The remote machine is offline at the moment, and I absolutely cannot connect to it when it comes back online (and I pretty much need to have this resolved before that happens or we will be taking the server offline). We basically need to kill the connection on our end by whatever means necessary.
Jake  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2011 2:48:09 PM(UTC)
Jake

I'd block the machine from connecting through your firewall. If you view the session, you can see the last IP it came from. Block the IP, subnet, or whatever it takes. Sorry, but that's the only way to make sure it can't connect back to you. Even reinstalling may not have the behavior you expect. If you have a ScreenConnect relay service listening on the IP/port it's trying to connect with, it will connect, though hosts won't be able to connect to it after a reinstall because the encryption keys won't match.
ScreenConnect Team
sysadmin  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2011 4:28:56 PM(UTC)
sysadmin

Thanks for the update. I have no idea what the IP will be. Looks like we'll have to reinstall the server using a different domain (subdomain).

It would save us a bit of time if there is a way to change the domain name without re-installation - at least we wouldn't lose all of the users and other settings. This possible?

Edited by user Friday, July 22, 2011 4:31:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jake  
#8 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2011 4:33:24 PM(UTC)
Jake

I'm not sure what you're asking. Any DNS is configured outside of ScreenConnect. You can certainly change how all of that is configured.
ScreenConnect Team
sysadmin  
#9 Posted : Friday, July 22, 2011 7:06:37 PM(UTC)
sysadmin

OK. I thought I remembered there being some point during setup where I was asked for the external URL. Most apps utilizing a web server these days ask for that info for host header purposes.

Thanks again.
feri  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:49:43 PM(UTC)
feri

Man

Wouldn't be possible to implement the following (just my ideea):
1. each unattended host would have a checkbox beside the connection icon for "Accept client connection"
2. each client already has a unique ID, so you could assign the checkbox status to the client's ID and store it in a file (or db in the future).
3. when the client connects to the sever, test if the client is accepted (checkbox on) or not. If in the file the chekbox status is set to on for the connecting client's ID, the client is able to connect to the relay server OR if the checkbox status is set to off then the script/program rejects the client's connection to the relay server. This way the client SC will not be able to connect to the sever.

This is just my ideea. Maybe it's not so good but I wanted to share with you.
Regards,
IT Services
www.icore.ro
x16wda  
#11 Posted : Friday, August 5, 2011 5:08:51 PM(UTC)
x16wda

Throwing in my two cents, there should actually be TWO new options:

1. add a "Blacklist" button or checkbox to prevent the server from accepting the connection (just like you suggested) - the problem here is that the remote host will continue to try connecting back to the server. But that might be fine if you just want to temporarily disable a session for some reason.

2. add a "Kill" button which would (a) tell the client to overwrite the server name with nulls or something and also disable the service, and (b) delete the appropriate file from the Sessions folder. Once triggered, the client can't connect without rerunning the installer. THAT's what would really do the trick. Requires a new client installer though.

As a matter of fact, there needs to be a way to delete an unattended session from the gui, for example if a person leaves the company. You can uninstall the service from the pc, but the session still shows up in the list until you delete the file from Sessions.

(Or, of course, I could be missing something, I've just been playing with the software for a week...)
bigdessert  
#12 Posted : Friday, August 5, 2011 8:45:46 PM(UTC)
bigdessert

Medals: ScreenConnect Advisor: Focus Group MemberLevel 3: Shirt off your back! Received 25 Thanks!

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 32 post(s)
x16wda wrote:

As a matter of fact, there needs to be a way to delete an unattended session from the gui, for example if a person leaves the company. You can uninstall the service from the pc, but the session still shows up in the list until you delete the file from Sessions.

(Or, of course, I could be missing something, I've just been playing with the software for a week...)

I agree with your first two points, but what you quoted already works. By default disconnected sessions are removed from the console after 24 hours.
x16wda  
#13 Posted : Saturday, August 6, 2011 11:53:16 AM(UTC)
x16wda

Ah, didn't know that! I haven't ramped up testing enough to see that happen yet :-)