logo

The ConnectWise Control forum has moved to ConnectWise University! This forum has been locked and is in read-only mode. Click here for instructions on how to access the new forum.

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PremierOneCS  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2016 4:01:05 PM(UTC)
PremierOneCS

Medals: ScreenConnect Advisor: Focus Group Member

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
We would really like to move our ScreenConnect database to Microsoft SQL Server, and in looking through other posts, we have found how to use MS SQL Server as the backend by changing the web.config file. In a test environment, we have a new instance working properly. However, now we are interesting in importing our production data into the database, which seems to be problematic.

Has anyone successfully migrated existing SQLite data to a MS SQL Server? We use almost exclusively Access sessions, so historical data can be beneficial for us. We tried using a Linked Server with an ODBC connection to the SQLite database but selecting the data into the MS SQL Server failed due to datatype issues (primarily with the binary fields in the database).

If importing data isn't really feasible and we were okay with accepting the loss of historical data, could we shutdown the ScreenConnect services, switch the web.config to point to a blank MS SQL database, restart ScreenConnect services, and then would all our Access clients re-register automatically when they tried to check in? It is much more important that the Access session would still be available than having the historical data.

Thank you!
thanks 1 user thanked PremierOneCS for this useful post.
robmcmi on 9/16/2016(UTC)

Alexander  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2016 7:30:19 PM(UTC)
Alexander

Medals: Level 3: Shirt off your back! Received 25 Thanks!

Man

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 63 post(s)
The Access clients will re-register automatically; they try to create a session each time they connect.

As for migrating, I don't have any particular experience with it, but I know I linked this Stack Overflow question in a different thread (which you might have already seen).
ScreenConnect Team
thanks 1 user thanked Alexander for this useful post.
PremierOneCS on 2/6/2016(UTC)
PremierOneCS  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 6, 2016 12:31:45 AM(UTC)
PremierOneCS

United States

Thank you! I did see that post, but it seems like SQLite and SQL Server handle those binary fields differently and they don't like to work with one another. As long as the Access Clients re-register, I think we're willing to lose the historical data.

I greatly appreciate your response!
PremierOneCS  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2016 2:55:48 AM(UTC)
PremierOneCS

United States

As an update for anyone else who is interested in migrating, I was able to successfully switch to Microsoft SQL Server. Using an empty ScreenConnect database and changing the database connection string in the web.config file, ScreenConnect automatically created the necessary tables and the Access clients automatically re-registered. One caveat which I have reported is that if you have any of the Delete XXX Session Activity options checked under Admin > Database, it will cause ScreenConnect to not function after switching to Microsoft SQL Server. If you decide to change to Microsoft SQL, make sure to UN-check these 3 options before you swap out the database.
Reid  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2016 6:02:31 PM(UTC)
Reid

Medals: Level 2: Lent a Helping Hand! 10 Thanks!

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I was just informed that this issue should be fixed in our next release, v5.6.
ScreenConnect Team
robmcmi  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2016 7:38:02 PM(UTC)
robmcmi

As an update for anyone else who is interested in migrating from SQLLite to SQL Server, I was able to successfully switch to Microsoft SQL Server Express 2016 using Server 2012R2.

I installed the SQL Server DB and setup a Database named “SC” which is referenced in the web.config file. I granted access to the Local System user to that database since the ScreenConnect services will start as that user.

Using SC, the empty ScreenConnect database and changing the database connection string in the web.config file seemed to work.

ScreenConnect then automatically created the necessary tables.

I had some permission issues and used the command below to troubleshoot the startup. and the Access clients automatically re-registered.

I will post more after I check out the ability of SC 6.x to do delete maintenance. Apparently in an older post below that wasn't working?
Bweisser@pghnetworks.com  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 9, 2016 12:59:59 AM(UTC)
Bweisser@pghnetworks.com

Any chance of using amazon RDS for the database? I'd like to do high availability across regions. It would also be nice to be able to put a couple web servers with SC running behind a load balancer. We love screen connect and it's become the core of our business.
Alexander  
#8 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2016 6:53:34 PM(UTC)
Alexander

Medals: Level 3: Shirt off your back! Received 25 Thanks!

Man

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 63 post(s)
Well, you could try just setting the connection string in the web.config to point to an RDS instance with SQL Server; ideally it wouldn't care that the database happens to be in RDS.
(If you haven't seen it already, there's an older thread with more info on switching the database to SQL Server.)
Though I'm not sure how useful this would be by itself, since we only read from the database at startup.
In terms of load balancing, I know there's a feature request that's potentially similar to what you're looking for.
ScreenConnect Team