logo

The ConnectWise Control forum has moved to ConnectWise University! This forum has been locked and is in read-only mode. Click here for instructions on how to access the new forum.

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
james  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 18, 2010 6:00:24 AM(UTC)
james

I have installed a test server and it works ok when the host and clients don't use a proxy, when they do the weblogin page works via the proxy ok but the relay port tries to connect directly and won't use the proxy even though it is set in IE. I'm using 80 and 443 for the ports.

Any ideas.

James

Jake  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 18, 2010 2:30:28 PM(UTC)
Jake

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

Was thanked: 393 time(s) in 188 post(s)
If proxy is configured in IE, on our first connection attempt we try direct, but if that doesn't work we use the proxy settings defined in IE.

What version are you using? We added this in 1.9.
ScreenConnect Team
james  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2010 11:44:48 AM(UTC)
james

I'm using the latest stable release, 1.9. That explains why i saw the attempt in the firewall and assumed it wouldn't use the proxy. I can now get it working through the proxy for one end now by blocking direct access, but from the other end it gets blocked from a domain connected computer, I've tried from a test computer that's not on the domain but I get (407) Proxy authentication required when running the applet. Does the application support NTLM authenication? I've tried the java client also but I get a blank page when it tries to load, this includes from the actual server. Do I need to install java on the server to make the client applet available?

James
Jake  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2010 12:37:49 PM(UTC)
Jake

We don't support proxy authentication. That sounds like your problem. We only encounter proxy-only scenarios very very rarely, and when so, we haven't encountered a proxy that required auth. I've heard other products generally have issues with this also. I can enter it as an enhancement though.
ScreenConnect Team
james  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2010 1:28:57 PM(UTC)
james

If you could add it has an enhancement that would be great. I can probably get around the proxy issue for the most part by hosting the server on our DMZ rather than the internet, which would be the final solution anyway, this requires going through change/release mangement and finding a server just to try out the software though :(

I am impressed with what I have seen already though.

Do you know if its possible to publish screenconnect via a reverse proxy such as Microsoft ISA 2006 using web filters. This way we can use our wildcard certificate on the proxy.

James
Jake  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2010 2:56:33 PM(UTC)
Jake

This was someone trying to use a reverse http proxy to their ScreenConnect server. In short, it's fine for the web piece, but he was having trouble with the Relay:

http://forum.screenconne...lt.aspx?g=posts&t=37
ScreenConnect Team
james  
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 20, 2010 6:43:22 AM(UTC)
james

That's the same issue I got, web page ok but relay won't work via the reverse proxy. I don't think this is ever going to work thinking about it, as the traffic is encrypted and the proxy won't be able to inspect it and reverse proxy it.

Is it possible to select the Java client for the host, there doesn't appear to be an option like the guest mode. I got the Java client working now, my IPS was blocking it with the error "illegal header format detected: Malformed HTTP protocol name in response" so I put an exclusion in for it.

James

james  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 22, 2010 5:32:21 AM(UTC)
james

It would appear that the Java applet works via an authenticated proxy, I have the guest connected ok. If we could have the option for the Java applet for the Host also this would be great.

James
Jake  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 22, 2010 11:30:44 AM(UTC)
Jake

James,

It's weird that the Java would work through an authenticated proxy. We wrote the proxy code ourselves and it's essentially identical for .NET and Java. We certainly didn't include any handling of authentication. I can't think of any way to force the java client without changing your user-agent. I use User Agent Switcher for firefox to do this, but I don't know how to do it with IE. If you switch to a non-windows user agent, it will use the Java client. I'd really like to figure out the issue with the .NET client though.
ScreenConnect Team
james  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, December 1, 2010 7:58:29 AM(UTC)
james

I think the JAVA client works as JAVA seems to have built in support for NTLM proxy servers, see "Control Panel, Java Control Panel, General, Network Setting". I've seen other JAVA based software work fine via our proxy servers also, so I thought it might work.

James
Jake  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, December 1, 2010 9:04:09 AM(UTC)
Jake

Yes, but we don't use Java default handling for proxies. I use Java to lookup the proxy, but then a raw socket and our own HTTP CONNECT code. I tried to get it to work with Java's default implementation, but I think it only supported SOCKS proxies for raw sockets, and no one seems to use those.
ScreenConnect Team