logo

The ConnectWise Control forum has moved to ConnectWise University! This forum has been locked and is in read-only mode. Click here for instructions on how to access the new forum.

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CTEZ  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 5, 2015 3:47:03 AM(UTC)
CTEZ

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I skimmed the forum and saw discussion of the previous Raspberry Pi's having ARM6 which was apparently not supported by ScreenConnect. However, the new Raspberry Pi 2 has an ARM7. I already bought one assuming it would work with ScreenConnect. Now I am wondering if it will actually work. So that being said, will the new Raspberry Pi 2 Model B work with ScreenConnect? Has anyone tried? Mine should come in in the next couple weeks but before then I am trying to seek answers. If this works it would save loads on electricity, take up way less space and it would just be overall efficient. And considering I am using a very slow, very cheap Atom processor driven desktop with Win 7 and ScreenConnect works fine, I'd assume the Raspberry Pi 2 Model B would be a huge upgrade for me.

So, does ScreenConnect work on the Raspberry Pi 2 Model B?

CoupeWare  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2015 1:36:35 AM(UTC)
CoupeWare

United States

Some people have gotten the ScreenConnect server to run on BeagleBone Black. Here is a link that ScreenConnect support sent me a while ago. I tried to get this to work on my BeaglewBone Black but there are some steps not clearly explained and I did not have time to figure out what I was doing wrong.

http://forum.screenconne...ibly-help.aspx#post11633

I just tried to get the ScreenConnect server to run on an Odroid-C1 running Ubuntu. It does not install properly. It's also an ARM 7 processor and should preform much better than a BeagleBone Black.

I'm going to take a shot at the BeagleBone Black again and if it works maybe I can figure out what the difference is.

Hopefully ScreenConnect will provide more help now that there are several ARM 7 quad core options available. These are ideal for a low power self hosted server like this.
CTEZ  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2015 2:59:00 AM(UTC)
CTEZ

United States

I ended up talking with someone in tech support over the phone. He was confident it would work since Raspberry Pi 2 Model B has an ARM 7 but stated they hadn't bought one yet to test it. I guess once I get it I will give it a go. I am far from a Linux guru so I think the best thing to do if I have problems is have a ScreenConnect tech support agent remote in and play with it. I'll update this post when I have more info. Should get it in a couple weeks.
promptcare  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2015 3:03:38 AM(UTC)
promptcare

Medals: ScreenConnect Advisor: Focus Group MemberLevel 2: Lent a Helping Hand! 10 Thanks!

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Hardly seems worth breaking a sweat over since the Raspberry Pi 2 will get free Windows 10.

http://www.theverge.com/.../raspberry-pi-windows-10
CTEZ  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2015 3:18:29 AM(UTC)
CTEZ

United States

Originally Posted by: promptcare Go to Quoted Post
Hardly seems worth breaking a sweat over since the Raspberry Pi 2 will get free Windows 10.

http://www.theverge.com/.../raspberry-pi-windows-10

I saw that too when I bought the Raspberry Pi 2. However, I am not holding my breath for Microsoft to pull through. Everything is just words until it happens and I rarely invest much time into a new OS until it has been released for at least a year because of all the bugs. Plus, there is no release date just "later this year" and since the Raspberry Pi 2 has an OS built for it and tested, Rasbian, and I plan on having it delivered very soon, it would be nice to have it working within the next couple weeks rather then waiting months for Windows 10 OS. And even if Windows 10 comes out the dev's at SC will have to work day and night making everything work right and blah blah blah.

But, one can only hope everything will just work! =)
CTEZ  
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 15, 2015 11:59:42 PM(UTC)
CTEZ

United States

Ok, got my Raspberry Pi 2B in. Rasberian OS installed no problems. Got Edimax wireless adapter and got internet working. Let me just first say that I have practically no knowledge of Linux PERIOD. I am a complete noob about it. If Windows was available for it I would have used Windows cause I know it in and out but I am stuck with Linux for right now. Anyways, I followed the screen connect guide for installing on Linux. I get a bunch of lines of code from the terminal saying installed successfully but it won't tell me how to log into the server. I try localhost:8040 but that doesn't work maybe that is only Windows. Tried IP:8040 still nothing. Basically I don't have a clue what to do after the installation or how to check to see if it even installed correctly. I plan on calling SC tech support first thing tomorrow (hopefully they are open on Presidents Day) and see if they can remote in and start playing with it.
terranovait  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 2, 2015 9:10:53 PM(UTC)
terranovait

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: CTEZ Go to Quoted Post
Ok, got my Raspberry Pi 2B in. Rasberian OS installed no problems. Got Edimax wireless adapter and got internet working. Let me just first say that I have practically no knowledge of Linux PERIOD. I am a complete noob about it. If Windows was available for it I would have used Windows cause I know it in and out but I am stuck with Linux for right now. Anyways, I followed the screen connect guide for installing on Linux. I get a bunch of lines of code from the terminal saying installed successfully but it won't tell me how to log into the server. I try localhost:8040 but that doesn't work maybe that is only Windows. Tried IP:8040 still nothing. Basically I don't have a clue what to do after the installation or how to check to see if it even installed correctly. I plan on calling SC tech support first thing tomorrow (hopefully they are open on Presidents Day) and see if they can remote in and start playing with it.

So what happened? did it work?
CTEZ  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 2, 2015 9:23:24 PM(UTC)
CTEZ

United States

My bad forgot to update.

I had Scott from SC support, hes one of the Linux guru's over there, remote into my Pi and test it. Let me list some steps that were done...

1. SC host would install with a different version of JAVA then what was pre-installed on the Pi. Scott knows the version I didn't ask.
2. However, SC would not load upon reboot so Scott had did something to make that work.
3. SC server will not work as of right now "due to a known mono issue with hard floating point integers". This apparently is being worked on but no eta.
4. When using SC to remote into the Pi, the Pi's CPU caps out at 100% and everything is very slow and laggy and just unusable. I tried overclocking the Pi with same results so I don't think it is a limitation on the CPU. Another bug SC is going to look into.

Scott still has access to my Pi and I have encouraged him to continue testing it until SC works with it. That is the reason why I got the Pi was to have SC run on it and if SC doesn't work on it, it currently is a paper weight. But I know Scott and the team will work hard to get it working as fast as possible. It is after all in their best interests.

I'll let Scott chime in if he has any updates.
Scott  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2015 2:26:32 PM(UTC)
Scott

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 351 time(s) in 303 post(s)
Linux guru? Ha! I certainly appreciate the compliment, but I'm not much of a guru with Linux.

The raspberry Pi 2 has a few potential issues with ScreenConnect. First off, you can install an Access client on the device but you would need a different version of Java than what comes pre-packaged with the distro CTEZ is using. I believe I installed openjdk6, which included the JRE. There's still a potential issue with abnormal CPU usage when someone actually connects to the device with ScreenConnect (as he mentions), but we are investigating.

The issue with the ScreenConnect server software came down to the distro using hard floating point integers, which is apparently problematic with our fork of mono. You could in theory switch to a distro that uses soft floating point integers and that may work, but I can't say that we've tested it quite yet.
ScreenConnect Team
Muppet  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2015 5:45:03 PM(UTC)
Muppet

Hi guys,

forgive me, in this thread are you trying to run screenconnect server on the PI, or just client please ?
Scott  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2015 9:13:58 PM(UTC)
Scott

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 351 time(s) in 303 post(s)
We looked to install both the server software and the Access client.
ScreenConnect Team
promptcare  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2015 9:37:23 PM(UTC)
promptcare

Medals: ScreenConnect Advisor: Focus Group MemberLevel 2: Lent a Helping Hand! 10 Thanks!

Can I add that I would *love* to be able to move my server software off my main PC and onto something like a Pi. I'll wait till Win10 comes out but, if the obstacles are overcome sooner, all the better.
wchesnut1900  
#13 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2015 4:15:14 PM(UTC)
wchesnut1900

United States

Has there been any updates on this?
timg  
#14 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2015 2:38:48 PM(UTC)
timg

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Very interested in this as well. Would make a great, low cost, SC Server.

Using one now for other basic services.
Summo  
#15 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2015 4:18:20 PM(UTC)
Summo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I came here to ask a similar thing...

Would love to move ScreenConnect off my desktop and onto a dedictad, low-power, silent server.

Has anyone gotten ScreenConnect working on a Raspberry Pi B+ or 2 running Windows 10 Preview? I'm not even sure you can run Win32 applications on ARM processors...
dw5304  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2015 7:07:36 PM(UTC)
dw5304

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
just a fyi for anyone interested in the windows 10 variant you can download the raspberry pi 2 images over
https://connect.microsof...owsembeddedIoT/Downloads
you will need to register for the connect site. I haven't played with it yet but Microsoft has made it available.
IAmKale  
#17 Posted : Sunday, August 16, 2015 7:46:08 PM(UTC)
IAmKale

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
CTEZ, how did you even get ScreenConnect installed? I'm trying to get it up and running on Ubuntu Mate but I keep coming across this issue after running the install script and choosing the default answer for everything:

Quote:
Could not find a suitable version of runtime executable for your system. This could be due to an unsupported instruction set. This could also be due to wiping of the execute bits during extraction of the tarball when /tmp is mounted with noexec.

I installed the latest version of Mono beforehand (v3.2.8 w/hardfp), but I guess the installer is throwing up because I'm trying to run it on ARM? I know for a fact that SC works on Ubuntu because I've got it working in a Hyper-V VM, which leaves me to believe that it's a CPU architecture issue.

I'll probably contact SC support tomorrow for some advice but I'm still curious how you get past this part.

Edit: I managed to get a Soft Float version of Raspbian up, running, and updated to 7.8. I also managed to successfully install ScreenConnect. Unfortunately Mono still seems to have issues - SC appears to start but the web interface is inaccessible and Mono eventually ends up taking up 100% until I stop the SC service. I'm still playing around, I'll report back.

Edited by user Monday, August 17, 2015 5:04:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

chris.atwood  
#18 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2015 4:28:48 PM(UTC)
chris.atwood

Man
United States

Some of this thread seems to be discussing getting SC server running on a Pi and others seem to be talking about the client.

I was able to get the client to install and working for a couple weeks to test it, then I powered the Pi off as I had to work on other things. When I powered it back on this week the SC Client started crashing anytime I try to connect to the session. I can see all the info for the Pi in the Host page, but the minute I try to join it crashes. I have tried this with Ubunut MATE, Raspbian, and a Ubunut/lxde linaro distro as well and they all give the same result.

Has anyone been able to get the unattended SC client to run on a Pi?

Also I know that ScreenConnect was able to get their SC Server running on BeagleBone Black, if that board will work better for SC in general do we know if it will also work with the client using some type of Linux Desktop GUI?

Thanks for any thoughts or feedback!
promptcare  
#19 Posted : Sunday, November 29, 2015 8:16:46 AM(UTC)
promptcare

So.... anyone got a Pi+Win10 combo going yet?