logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fred Balster  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 11:19:39 AM(UTC)
Fred Balster

Netherlands

We are considering to replace netviewer for screenconnect.
Because of legal issues we want our support technician only to see the customers screen, not to control it.
The support technician needs a pointer. With it, he can show the client where to click or show something.
The support technician should not have any control over the remote computer, the client has to everything by himself.
If something goes wrong, the client did it himself en can only blame himself.
Is this scenario possible with screenconnect?

Thank you in advance,

Fred.
Jeff  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 9:51:14 PM(UTC)
Jeff

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

Man

Was thanked: 156 time(s) in 122 post(s)
There is a new option that our dev team was playing around with that might work in your scenario. This option would be for view only mode entirely, it doesn't allow you to eventually switch into controlling at this time. I am going to check with them to get the details and we can post here and/or back to your email as well.
ScreenConnect Team
Fred Balster  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2014 8:16:47 AM(UTC)
Fred Balster

Netherlands

Sounds promissing. If that would be an option that's per user configurable, then it would be perfect.
We have a team that's using netviewer in view only mode for support and we have a small team that are using teamviewer for special clients where we take support to a higher level and can take over and control the complete computer.
If that's possible we could replace netviewer and teamviewer in one blow with screenconnect.
Mike  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2014 2:37:50 PM(UTC)
Mike

Medals: Level 3: Shirt off your back! Received 25 Thanks!

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 64 post(s)
We've contacted the user directly through email, but we also wanted to make the answer available for the community. We do have an Alpha "View Only" permission that we've been testing in house. This permission will allow you to connect to a session, but only view the screen with no control of keyboard or mouse functions.

Because this is an Alpha feature, you will have to manually put this permission in your Role.xml file. Here are some instructions that should be helpful. Don't quote me, but this should be available for Version 4.3+.

1. Create the new role on the security page with the "HostSessionWithoutConsent" option and any other permissions you'd like for the role to have: Defining Roles And Permissions.

2. From your ScreenConnect server, open the role.xml file in a text editor(If using Notepad, be sure to open Notepad with the "run as administrator" option). Typically this is located here C:\Program Files (x86)\ScreenConnect\App_Data\role.xml

3. Scroll down to the new role and replace this line:

Quote:
<PermissionEntry xsi:type="SessionOwnershipPermissionEntry" Name="HostSessionWithoutConsent" AccessControlType="Allow" SessionGroupFilter="AllSessionGroups" OwnershipFilter="OwnedAndUnowned" />

with this:

Quote:
<PermissionEntry xsi:type="SessionOwnershipPermissionEntry" Name="ViewSessionWithoutConsent" AccessControlType="Allow" SessionGroupFilter="AllSessionGroups" OwnershipFilter="OwnedAndUnowned" />

4. Save the file.

5. Restart your services starting with the Session Manager service.

When you refresh your browser, the ViewSessionWithoutConsent feature will be enabled in the role you adjusted.

This is a work in progress, so please address any questions to the forum for follow up. We hope to enhance this option in the future, but we hope this is a good first step.

KW: view only

Edited by user Tuesday, December 16, 2014 9:00:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ScreenConnect Team
Fred Balster  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2014 2:06:33 PM(UTC)
Fred Balster

Netherlands

Tried it and it worked. I can only view my customers screen and can not change anything from my site.
But now I want to point out to my customer that he has to click on something. I would like to use annotations for that (circle).
But with this profileconfiguration all my annotation options are greyed out.
I can not make any annotation.
A view-only mode with working annotations woul work for us.

Fred.
Jeff  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2014 4:41:17 PM(UTC)
Jeff

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

Man

Was thanked: 156 time(s) in 122 post(s)
I will request to see what can be done. I'm not sure what is possible today based on how that viewonly permission works, but we can submit and see what development says.
ScreenConnect Team
Fred Balster  
#7 Posted : Monday, December 8, 2014 2:45:50 PM(UTC)
Fred Balster

Netherlands

Any news on this? Tomorrow we go through the software selection. I will present screenconnect to the stakeholders.
For now, I have made my own app.config where I set "SuspendControlAtStartup" on true and I disable change of this control by using "DisabledCommandNames" and giving it the value SuspendMyInput.
This way, when a support-worker installs the client on his machine he can not control the customers computer and the support-worker can not take over control of the customers computer, because that command is disabled.
This configuration will work for the largest group of support-worker. This is the way how in my opinion the view-only should work.
However, we have a small group of support-worker that serve customers with special contracts, who are allowed to take control over the customers computer.
Because we have 2 groups, it is not handy to do this when screenconnect is installed (because you just have 1 installsetting). I think this should be a permission under Security.

Greetz,
Fred

HDClown  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 30, 2018 10:50:51 PM(UTC)
HDClown

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Bumping this old thread. Does this customization to provide a "ViewSessionWithoutConsent" work in latest version? 4 years later and this never made it out of Alpha it seems, as it's not a checkbox you can set under Security.
HDClown  
#9 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2018 3:41:06 PM(UTC)
HDClown

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I tried this on SC 6.6.18120.6697 and it worked. Would be nice for this option to be integrated into the UI, as view only access is a pretty basic feature of remote support products.
thanks 1 user thanked HDClown for this useful post.
aslee on 9/1/2018(UTC)
damtechmatt  
#10 Posted : Monday, September 3, 2018 2:31:44 PM(UTC)
damtechmatt

United Kingdom

I'd like to +1 this too.

The ability to default to ViewOnly, then 'upgrade' to control only with the end users consent