logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
damondav  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 16, 2014 9:10:36 PM(UTC)
damondav

United States

I have a problem, which appears that several others do as well.

I want to use the Unattended Installer for SC on my Dual Boot Macs for both the Mac and Windows OS's. The recently added ability to control the Mac pre-login was a huge improvement for us....however things have changed to a point where we can no longer pull any environment variables through to the SC client....which means I have to create and manually install the SC client for each of the 2000 machines I was planning on doing this on. Clearly this is a huge issue, I can just have 2000 machines all named the same thing when I go to connect to them.

Has anyone figured a way around this?

My looking in the forums and such point towards setting your own environment variables, which I can do without too much trouble, but as I mentioned above, it isn't working anymore. Previous versions of SC I was able to manually edit the screenconnect.client.plist to pull the correct computer name...this was actually done on installation so I was able to push it out to all the machines at once. The only thing missing, which was extremely important for our organization was the pre-login control....so we have traded being able to see it pre-login for being able to tell what machine we are connecting to.

Any help from anyone would be great....in fact any feedback from anyone with similar problems that they have solutions to would likely also be helpful.
Alexander  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 2:33:30 PM(UTC)
Alexander

Medals: Level 3: Shirt off your back! Received 25 Thanks!

Man

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 63 post(s)
Do you just want to use the machine name as the name of the session, or something else? When you build the installer, you should be able to select "Use Machine Name".
ScreenConnect Team
damondav  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 2:47:00 PM(UTC)
damondav

United States

Alexander, thanks for the response.

Unfortunately we can't leave it at "Use Machine Name" as there are filters applied for the several different groups that use this tool on our campus. My particular filter is "Media - namehere".

If I don't manually set the name it never shows up for me. I am curious though, if "Use Machine Name" works....then how is it finding the name of the machine? All the documentation pointed towards things like $COMPUTERNAME, %COMPUTERNAME%, $HOSTNAME, %HOSTNAME%, or creating your own Environment Variable and then putting that in when making the Unattended Installer.

Last I was told by phone support was that I am no longer able to do this, which seems strange. They also suggested that I post here to see if anyone in the community has found a way around this, and to get it on the developers radar.

Again any help would be great :)
Alexander  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 8:51:16 PM(UTC)
Alexander

Man

OK, it turns out that not being able to use environment variables in the session name for Macs was a bug; it should be fixed in the next prerelease. (They'll use the Windows-style percent signs, so %COMPUTERNAME%/%HOSTNAME% rather than $COMPUTERNAME/$HOSTNAME.)

"Use Machine Name" potentially uses a variety of methods to determine the machine name, including environment variables. Odd that it's apparently not working for you; does anything show up where it says "Machine:" in the info panel at the bottom of the page when you click on a session?
ScreenConnect Team
damondav  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 9:42:03 PM(UTC)
damondav

United States

If I do Use Machine Name it does pull the correct name, but since we have several groups using this tool here there are filters applied and this computer doens't get filtered into my group, it instead makes it into the All Computers area which normal users don't have access to.

You mentioned the next pre-release, any idea on a timeframe?

Thanks again for the help,

David
Alexander  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 4:09:25 PM(UTC)
Alexander

Man

Ah, I see.

Well, the next 4.4 release will be the stable release, so this will probably wait until 5.0, which should have its first prerelease in about a week.

Though it also seems like that filter would work just as well as a custom property rather than part of the name. I guess you don't have control of that yourself, and it's certainly possible that there are other factors I don't know about, but it's a suggestion.
ScreenConnect Team
Jonesy8463  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 9:26:40 AM(UTC)
Jonesy8463

I know this is an old thread, but we just started using Macs and we cannot get this to work, we just get a blank name, so if we put the company name in first then - then use a variable it doesnt dispaly anything apart from copmpanyname -

We want to do exactly what the OP wanted to do, and as he said use computername works but use specific value doesnt ?

Any help guys

Thanks.
shawnkhall  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2018 8:20:39 PM(UTC)
shawnkhall

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)
what version of SC are you using?