logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hoss  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2018 4:15:13 AM(UTC)
hoss

United States

I have screenconnect from 2014; I'm not sure how to tell what version it is. The client version listed is 5.1.8473.5522, probably that's it.

I've had hit and miss success with getting dell optiplex workstations to respond to WOL commands from screenconnect. I've adjusted the bios settings to allow WOL. I can't figure out if there is a pattern, the settings that will make it reliable. I was hoping that someone here would have experience with this.
SoCo_Systems  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2018 2:15:35 PM(UTC)
SoCo_Systems

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
It sounds like you've found the bios setting. WOL is either enabled or it isn't. ScreenConnect sends the WOL signal from another SC host on the same network, so you have to have a second host on the same LAN, and the firewalls on both need to allow the WOL communication. If you are using the Windows firewall, each computer's network needs to be set to private or domain. If they are set to Public, the WOL signal won't get through.

Keep in mind a system can only "wake" from a sleep or hibernate state, not from Off.
hoss  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2018 4:48:51 PM(UTC)
hoss

United States

Strange, I swear I've had success with WOL and pcs that are turned off, but I just made a test and no.

Re the bios, there are several bios settings in the units I deal with. The main one I turn on and usually the optional ones. I can't figure out why some don't respond.

But one pc that is always not responsive is not on a domain; most of the others are. Maybe this is a factor that I haven't taken into account.

Thank you
Michael L  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2018 8:18:58 PM(UTC)
Michael L

Man
United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
In addition to the BIOS settings, you might need to configure the network driver to allow the WOL packet to wake up the computer. Different network cards either support or don't support WOL, and then some may have a setting to disable it.
ConnectWise Control (ScreenConnect) Support Team
hoss  
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 1, 2018 3:22:41 PM(UTC)
hoss

United States

From what I've read since you posted, most pcs are intended to respond to WOL if turned off. This matches my experience, with the caveat that wol sometimes just doesn't work, regardless of hibernate/sleep/powered off.
hoss  
#6 Posted : Saturday, September 1, 2018 8:37:23 PM(UTC)
hoss

United States

Hi Michael L
These are mostly dell optiplex units which have the nic built in to the motherboard. WOL is supported, there are multiple settings in the bios for them.

SoCo_Systems turned me on to a useful fact, that if the pc is not on a domain it makes WOL more difficult. This would be a factor in the most recent problematic pc.

However, over the years of using screenconnect, I've found that some pcs that do support WOL and are on a domain, are hit and miss as to whether they respond to WOL via sc. I was hoping to get some new info on why...WOL is so useful.
Michael L  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 4, 2018 12:13:27 PM(UTC)
Michael L

Man
United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Hi hoss,

In addition to the BIOS, the drivers might need to be configured -- here's an example for the Optiplex systems:
https://www.dell.com/sup...your-dell-system?lang=en

Here's a second article from Microsoft going over some common issues/reasons why WOL may fail:
https://technet.microsof...us/library/bb932199.aspx

To your point of it sometimes working to wake up PCs that are configured to allow it via the BIOS, if you are using Windows 8/8.1/10+, then the network card drivers are going to be configured to explicitly disallow this (sometimes in Win7 this did not happen, depending on the drivers):
https://support.microsof...ndows-8-1-and-windows-10

I hope this helps!
ConnectWise Control (ScreenConnect) Support Team
hoss  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 4, 2018 3:05:24 PM(UTC)
hoss

United States

Yes...I'd forgotten that the NIC has WOL settings as well. Thanks for the reminder, I'll check it out.
hoss  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 4, 2018 3:08:17 PM(UTC)
hoss

United States

The only aspect that still seems to be a complete mystery is why some pcs, over the years I've worked with them, sometimes can't be woken by WOL, and sometimes can be. These pcs are never turned off; they can sleep or hibernate; they are on a domain. If WOL works sometimes, it means that the WOL type settings are ok, right?
jasgot  
#10 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2018 12:24:35 PM(UTC)
jasgot

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SoCo_Systems Go to Quoted Post
It sounds like you've found the bios setting. WOL is either enabled or it isn't. ScreenConnect sends the WOL signal from another SC host on the same network, so you have to have a second host on the same LAN, and the firewalls on both need to allow the WOL communication. If you are using the Windows firewall, each computer's network needs to be set to private or domain. If they are set to Public, the WOL signal won't get through.

Keep in mind a system can only "wake" from a sleep or hibernate state, not from Off.

We Wake them from Powered Off all the time. Of course, the "Powered Off" state of the particular PC must keep the LAN Card alive. Easy to tell, just power down the Pc and then look at the NIC port, if a light is still on, you are good to go!