logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
compvisions  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 6, 2018 8:28:48 PM(UTC)
compvisions

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I am fairly new to implementing SSL so I have a couple questions. Is it possible to configure SSL on the default port (8040) or is this a bad idea? If it is possible how do you go about doing so? I am running ScreenConnect on a Windows 10 VM.
Scott  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2018 11:53:12 AM(UTC)
Scott

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 345 time(s) in 299 post(s)
So it's certainly possible to specify that the Web Server should use SSL on any port you want. To do this you can use the same instructions found here just replace every mention of 443 with your desired port. The main change comes when you are using netsh to bind the cert to the port. Instead of using ipport=0.0.0.0:443 you would use ipport=0.0.0.0:8040.

The main consequence of doing it this way is that whenever a user attempts to navigate to your site they would have to manually type in the port, ie https://yoursite.domain.com:8040. There's nothing inherently bad about this, other than it may cause some confusion if presented over the phone to a client.

To potentially alleviate this you could always use the HttpsRedirect or the Router service to automatically route incoming requests correctly, although that would mean that ports 80 and/or 443 would have to be available.
ScreenConnect Team