logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
raytaylor  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 27, 2018 5:58:56 AM(UTC)
raytaylor

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Can anyone help me with a problem I am facing...

Server1 has 300 clients connecting to it.
Server2 has 600 clients connecting to it.

We want to combine server 1 and server 2 so all clients connect to server 2

I assumed it would be just a matter of pushing out a new URL/dns address to the clients running on server1, but the instructions i have found all require copying the installation folder of the server across to a new server, which would overwrite the existing data on server2 - instead we want to merge the data.

I was hoping it was just a variable or url and when we set that variable, and click reinstall, the clients should start appearing on server2 but the guides dont seem to have that as an option.

Thanks in advance.
Scott  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 1:48:30 PM(UTC)
Scott

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 338 time(s) in 292 post(s)
I don't see why you can't just take an Access client installer from Server2, put it into the Toolbox of Server1, and then push it out to every client on Server1.
ScreenConnect Team
raytaylor  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 4, 2018 7:37:56 PM(UTC)
raytaylor

Oh cool thanks - that looks like it will work and isnt as manual as i was thinking
raytaylor  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 5:25:36 AM(UTC)
raytaylor

Problem found
How do we keep the name and organisation of the computer using a generic access installer?
I would need to create an installer for each customer's computer with their computer name and organisation it seems since the screenconnect client name is different from the windows machine name.
Scott  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2018 12:48:29 PM(UTC)
Scott

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 338 time(s) in 292 post(s)
By the title of the thread "...without copying data or Merging Servers" I assumed that maintaining client information wasn't necessary.

With that said, there is no simple way to maintain this client data without copying other information in a method that is fairly risky and may not be possible with your current semi-deployed two server setup.
ScreenConnect Team
shawnkhall  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2018 2:39:31 PM(UTC)
shawnkhall

Man
United States

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 22 post(s)
You're looking at a few hours labor, but preserving it all can definitely be done.

You can write a setup stub with Inno Setup that will parse the registry for the target computers. In the Inno Setup you'll read and parse the contents of the current SC service information, which would be the ImagePath REG_EXPAND_SZ from something like "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ScreenConnect Client (1234567890)". Since it's all coming from one SC server, this registry path will be consistent across the entire collection of target computers, but the ImagePath value will not be. Parse the ImagePath to obtain the GUID (s) from the existing installations. Use this as a command-line assignment on the install to any of the property values (which we'll use later to identify it to ensure that updated data goes to the right device).

Then export your database values from the source SC server to Excel. (Excel would be good since you can automate the process of triggering changes on the server.) A little VBA in Excel to push the Property's and Notes to the new SC server and an extension to receive and update them with the new values.