logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ben B  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 27, 2017 2:09:42 PM(UTC)
Ben B

Medals: Level 2: Lent a Helping Hand! 10 Thanks!

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 62 post(s)
Selective Lock on Disconnect: Requires ConnectWise Control 6.3+

UserPostedImage

Purpose: Users with permission to edit sessions can tag access sessions that should be automatically locked when the last host disconnects from the session. When the last host disconnects from an access session that has been tagged in this way, the extension queues a tool to run on the remote machine. The tool executes a small batch script that calls into the Windows API LockWorkStation, which locks the guest machine. This extension only applies to Windows access machines.

Extension Settings:

UserPostedImage

Enabling lock on disconnect for access sessions via the Host page:

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Friday, October 27, 2017 2:11:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: words

ScreenConnect Team
Ben B  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 13, 2017 6:39:49 PM(UTC)
Ben B

Version 1.0.1 of this extension has been released.

The update adds a "Disable Lock on Host Disconnect" command to the host page in order to remove the LockOnDisconnect tag from selected sessions.
ScreenConnect Team
paulrick  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 16, 2017 8:01:53 PM(UTC)
paulrick

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Is there anyway to get some sort of icon or identification that the session has this feature enabled?
Ben B  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 16, 2017 8:15:42 PM(UTC)
Ben B

Originally Posted by: paulrick Go to Quoted Post
Is there anyway to get some sort of icon or identification that the session has this feature enabled?

I will investigate ways to make it more apparent which sessions have the feature enabled.

In the meantime, you can create a new session group with the following session filter to pick out sessions on which the LockOnDisconnect tag has been added to the custom property specified by the CustomPropertyNumber extension setting value (by default, the extension uses custom property 6, to which the text specified by the LockOnDisconnectTag setting value is added when the feature is enabled):

Code:
CustomProperty6 LIKE '*LockOnDisconnect*'
ScreenConnect Team
shawn.f  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 5, 2018 10:02:38 PM(UTC)
shawn.f

Can any of the values be changed to enable lock on disconnect for clients by default, and then allow toggling from there?
Ben B  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 8, 2018 2:05:30 PM(UTC)
Ben B

Originally Posted by: shawn.f Go to Quoted Post
Can any of the values be changed to enable lock on disconnect for clients by default, and then allow toggling from there?

You should be able to select all machines, right click, and select "Lock on Host Disconnect" -- this will enable lock on disconnect for all machines by updating the value of custom property 6. Then select some subset of machines, right click, and select "Disable Lock on Host Disconnect" to disable the feature on those machines (the tag is removed from custom property 6):

UserPostedImage
ScreenConnect Team
shawn.f  
#7 Posted : Monday, January 8, 2018 2:11:05 PM(UTC)
shawn.f

Okay. But then any machines added after that will still not default to that, so we'd have to do it manually?
Ben B  
#8 Posted : Monday, January 8, 2018 2:14:32 PM(UTC)
Ben B

Originally Posted by: shawn.f Go to Quoted Post
Okay. But then any machines added after that will still not default to that, so we'd have to do it manually?

Correct; however, you could build an access installer in such a way that custom property 6 is set to the value "LockOnDisconnect" so that the machine will be locked on host disconnect by default after it calls back to the server.
ScreenConnect Team
shawn.f  
#9 Posted : Monday, January 8, 2018 3:26:42 PM(UTC)
shawn.f

Great, thanks!
cps2  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 9:22:29 PM(UTC)
cps2

United States

Terrific extension.

We use to autolock servers on disconnect, which works great as we already have an identifying field for the value "Server" for grouping purposes.

Question: is it possible to suppress the menu entries for enable / disable since we don't use those? Probably removing a couple of lines of code would do the trick but I don't want to make that edit without knowing which lines to remove.
elitestore  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 1:40:34 AM(UTC)
elitestore

United States

I just discovered this extension and tried using it, but none of my selected computers actually will lock upon disconnect. Am I "disconnecting" improperly? All stations are Windows with mix of servers, Win10 and Win7 but none will lock after I close the remote screen. I would love to have this working! Confused
Ben B  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 3:05:15 AM(UTC)
Ben B

Originally Posted by: elitestore Go to Quoted Post
I just discovered this extension and tried using it, but none of my selected computers actually will lock upon disconnect. Am I "disconnecting" improperly? All stations are Windows with mix of servers, Win10 and Win7 but none will lock after I close the remote screen. I would love to have this working! Confused

Are you right clicking the sessions for which you want the guest to lock on disconnect and selecting "Lock on Host Disconnect"?

Can you confirm that if you look at the timeline tab after disconnecting from the session, you see a QueuedTool event with data lockWorkStation.scapp?
ScreenConnect Team
elitestore  
#13 Posted : Sunday, February 4, 2018 5:01:23 AM(UTC)
elitestore

United States

Is there any documentation for this extension? I expected the command to issue automatically upon disconnect. I mean, isn't that the point. But since you mention right clicking the sessions for which you want the guest to lock on disconnect and selecting "Lock on Host Disconnect", I just tried that and all I get is some quick flashing box onscreen (processing something?) but no command is queued and no screen gets locked.
Ben B  
#14 Posted : Sunday, February 4, 2018 6:13:36 AM(UTC)
Ben B

Originally Posted by: elitestore Go to Quoted Post
Is there any documentation for this extension? I expected the command to issue automatically upon disconnect. I mean, isn't that the point. But since you mention right clicking the sessions for which you want the guest to lock on disconnect and selecting "Lock on Host Disconnect", I just tried that and all I get is some quick flashing box onscreen (processing something?) but no command is queued and no screen gets locked.

You have to tag the sessions you want to lock on disconnect by right clicking on them and selecting Lock on Host Disconnect -- this updates one of the session's custom property values to mark the session to be locked on disconnect whenever the last host disconnects from the session. The black popup is the tool running on the guest machine -- the tool just runs a bat file that calls a native Windows library function to lock the machine.

If you want to lock all machines on disconnect (instead of selectively), you might be better off modifying your app.config and pushing client reinstalls. More info on app.config and available settings is available here:

https://docs.connectwise...t_of_app.config_settings

You may also find the newly released Advanced Configurator extension useful for modifying app.config settings. The Lock Guest Machine settings are found under the Application Configuration > Quick Settings section on the Admin Page's Configuration tab (you'll need to install the extension before the Configuration tab is visible.

HTH
ScreenConnect Team
shawnkhall  
#15 Posted : Monday, February 5, 2018 7:37:29 PM(UTC)
shawnkhall

Man
United States

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 22 post(s)
wouldn't it be better to use the Notes feature for the tagging functionality instead of consuming one of the limited CustomProperty resources we have at our disposal?
Ben B  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, February 6, 2018 11:14:45 PM(UTC)
Ben B

Originally Posted by: shawnkhall Go to Quoted Post
wouldn't it be better to use the Notes feature for the tagging functionality instead of consuming one of the limited CustomProperty resources we have at our disposal?

I can absolutely look into making the extension interrogate notes vs. a custom property value.

Thank you for the feedback.
ScreenConnect Team
Ben B  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, February 7, 2018 12:25:31 AM(UTC)
Ben B

Version 1.0.2 of the Selective Lock on Disconnect extension has been released.

Change Log:

1) Added extension setting "ShouldUseNotes", which has default value false

2) Added extension setting "NotesLockOnDisconnectTag", which has default value "LockOnHostDisconnect"; this is the note content added to sessions when "ShouldUseNotes" has value "true" and a Host tags sessions to be locked on host disconnect

3) If "ShouldUseNotes" is set to true, then a note is added to sessions when the "Lock on Host Disconnect" command is executed from the Host page (requires that the host has the AddNoteToSession permission); otherwise, a custom property value is updated on sessions tagged to be locked on host disconnect (original functionality preserved)

4) If "ShouldUseNotes" is set to true, then all notes containing the text specified by the "NotesLockOnDisconnectTag" value are removed from all sessions when the "Disable Lock on Host Disconnect" is executed from the Host page (requires that the host has the AddNoteToSession permission)

Edited by user Wednesday, February 7, 2018 12:29:36 AM(UTC)  | Reason: added more info

ScreenConnect Team
shawnkhall  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, February 7, 2018 4:17:03 AM(UTC)
shawnkhall

Man
United States

Awesome! It's working perfectly with the Notes feature, and now I can still use CP6 for my software inventory. Thanks, Ben!
shawnkhall  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, February 7, 2018 4:21:32 AM(UTC)
shawnkhall

Man
United States

Well, mostly good. It leaves the scapp and bat in the users' documents folder afterwards. Can removing these leftovers be added to the extension? Or an option to remove them?
shawnkhall  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, February 7, 2018 5:46:19 AM(UTC)
shawnkhall

Man
United States

would it be possible to add a stylistic element to devices tagged with LockOnDisconnect, perhaps at the end of their device name, to indicate that it's going to lock when I disconnect? This would be useful for other tags I use as well, such as when I need to turn a device "OffWhenDone"
Ben B  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, February 7, 2018 1:02:11 PM(UTC)
Ben B

Originally Posted by: shawnkhall Go to Quoted Post
would it be possible to add a stylistic element to devices tagged with LockOnDisconnect, perhaps at the end of their device name, to indicate that it's going to lock when I disconnect? This would be useful for other tags I use as well, such as when I need to turn a device "OffWhenDone"

Would creating a session group to pick out machines tagged to lock on disconnect work in this case?

The filter, assuming you're using notes to identify sessions to lock, would be:

Code:
Notes LIKE '*LockOnDisconnect*'
ScreenConnect Team
shawnkhall  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, February 7, 2018 4:51:25 PM(UTC)
shawnkhall

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Ben B Go to Quoted Post

Would creating a session group to pick out machines tagged to lock on disconnect work in this case?

Preferably not. I want to be able to tell as I'm working through other filtered lists if the device I connect to will be locked on disconnect. Creating a secondary filter for this one property would ultimately just create more work. Ideally, I'd like to be able to see something like this as I scroll thru the list:

LockOnDisconnect icon sample

Perhaps it would be better to have this as another extension but allow selecting a specific font awesome icon as the iconography for a specific tag. For example:

Where [Field] LIKE [*Value*] USE [Icon].

[Field] would be a dropdown list, containing each CustomProperty# and Notes.
[*Value*] would be a freeform text field.
[Icon] would be a grid selection list where the user could choose one of the Font Awesome icons to include with an ":after" CSS rule.

Thus:
Where [Notes] LIKE [*LockOnDisconnect*] USE [Lock Icon]
Where [CustomProperty3] LIKE [*Paid*] USE [Dollar Icon]
Where [Notes] LIKE [*Access:Tammy Jones*] USE [Female Icon]

This would provide a visual cue as I scroll through which devices were accessible to Tammy, which ones were paid support plans and which ones will lock on disconnect, all within the primary device info section. These values are often as important as the device name, so should be included directly. I'd be okay with them having a row of their own (like where a CustomProperty would normally display), but I'm not hung up on that as long as it's displayed within the primary device list.
shawnkhall  
#23 Posted : Friday, February 9, 2018 10:53:36 PM(UTC)
shawnkhall

Man
United States

I just noticed that disconnections that aren't forced by closing the SC remote access window directly don't force the device to lock. :/
mhanson  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2018 6:54:50 PM(UTC)
mhanson

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ben B Go to Quoted Post
You may also find the newly released Advanced Configurator extension useful for modifying app.config settings. The Lock Guest Machine settings are found under the Application Configuration > Quick Settings section on the Admin Page's Configuration tab (you'll need to install the extension before the Configuration tab is visible.

Ben, does this override the app.config setting? In general, we lock all of our devices, except we have a small subset that we'd like to disable this. I'd rather not have to do a re-install for all the devices to disable this app.config setting just to switch over to the extension's method of locking if at all possible.

Thanks!