logo

The ConnectWise Control forum has moved to ConnectWise University! This forum has been locked and is in read-only mode. Click here for instructions on how to access the new forum.

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gael Reed  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2017 3:07:01 AM(UTC)
Gael Reed

United States

Is it possible to reconnect my server to a different Internet provider in the case of an outtage with the main provider? I must have continuity between my server and the clients. In the event my regular provider drops out for any length of time I must be able to reestablish a connection to the Server and clients as quickly as possible using a different provider. The different provider could possibly be a cell phone tethered either with a usb cable or via a wireless adapter. How difficult would it be reconfigure ScreenConnect to connect back to the clients once an Internet connection has been established, if at all?

Thank you

MannyTC  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2017 5:18:50 AM(UTC)
MannyTC

Medals: Bug Buster Level One: Spoon!Level 3: Shirt off your back! Received 25 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gael Reed Go to Quoted Post
Is it possible to reconnect my server to a different Internet provider in the case of an outtage with the main provider? I must have continuity between my server and the clients. In the event my regular provider drops out for any length of time I must be able to reestablish a connection to the Server and clients as quickly as possible using a different provider. The different provider could possibly be a cell phone tethered either with a usb cable or via a wireless adapter. How difficult would it be reconfigure ScreenConnect to connect back to the clients once an Internet connection has been established, if at all?

Thank you

I believe your best bet is to make sure your clients are set to connect via a hostname (i.e. sc.yourdomain.com) instead of an IP address. Setup DNS to point the name to the IP address supplied by your main internet provider. If that connection drops you can go edit your DNS entry for the hostname to point to the backup IP address. This won't be an instantaneous solution as you have to wait for the DNS change to propagate down but it will work nonetheless. Just set your TTL to a low value for the hostname in DNS.