logo

The ConnectWise Control forum has moved to ConnectWise University! This forum has been locked and is in read-only mode. Click here for instructions on how to access the new forum.

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ron van Elteren  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2019 8:49:30 AM(UTC)
Ron van Elteren

Netherlands

Hi,

I am using SC Access as a trial for a month now and have set up email triggers for our customers.
As soon as we connect to our customer, an email should be send to let them know we are connected to their server.
And when we disconnect, they should receive another email stating that we left their server.

The triggers work fine, but quite often the customer doesn't receive an email...or just 1 of the 2.
We are using the SC SMTP server for the trigger, not our own SMTP server.

Is there something wrong with the SC SMTP server ?
Is there a status overview page where SC service like SMTP can be monitored that a problem is at hand ?

evputten  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2019 3:28:15 PM(UTC)
evputten

Medals: ScreenConnect Advisor: Focus Group MemberLevel 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Netherlands

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hi Ron,

There is an Extension (Uitbreiding) you can download for ScreenConnect it's called Advanced SMTP Settings.

Here you can setup your SMTP with far more options.

With these options you can use different settings or an external SMTP server that you can monitor much better.

I personally haven't seen anything that logs SMTP problems, but i could be wrong.

Kind regards,
Erik van Putten
Ron van Elteren  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2019 3:51:49 PM(UTC)
Ron van Elteren

Netherlands

Originally Posted by: evputten Go to Quoted Post
Hi Ron,

There is an Extension (Uitbreiding) you can download for ScreenConnect it's called Advanced SMTP Settings.

Here you can setup your SMTP with far more options.

With these options you can use different settings or an external SMTP server that you can monitor much better.

I personally haven't seen anything that logs SMTP problems, but i could be wrong.

Kind regards,
Erik van Putten

Hi Erik,

Thank you for your reply.
I am aware of this extension.

However, I find it very usefull to use the SC SMTP server rather than opening our own SMTP server or grant SC access to our SMTP server.
But then the SC SMTP server should be functioning well for my triggers to email our customers.
It doesn't seem to work properly or at least very intermittent.

aslee  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2019 5:18:20 AM(UTC)
aslee

Japan

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I too use the standard SMTP triggers to send email alerts and have also encountered a similar problem to Ron's.
In my case, however, it turned out that the missed emails were in the recipient's spam folder.

What Ron describes does seem odd, though, if there were occasions where one email got through but the other didn't. That doesn't sound like a spam problem.
Ron van Elteren  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2019 10:18:24 AM(UTC)
Ron van Elteren

Netherlands

Originally Posted by: aslee Go to Quoted Post
I too use the standard SMTP triggers to send email alerts and have also encountered a similar problem to Ron's.
In my case, however, it turned out that the missed emails were in the recipient's spam folder.

What Ron describes does seem odd, though, if there were occasions where one email got through but the other didn't. That doesn't sound like a spam problem.

I am supporting several customers throughout the day.
Some of these customers want to know when I connect to their servers and when I leave it again.
Therefor I have set up 2 triggers (connect and disconnect) for these customers.

Also for an internal server I have set up the same triggers for testing purposes.

Using the standard SC SMTP server, me and the customers get intermittend emails.
Sometimes when I connect and not when I disconnect.
Sometimes not when I connect, but do when I disconnect.
And sometimes when I connect AND disconnect.

Emails are not coming into the spam folder, that was the first place I looked obviously.

I wish someone from SC could tell if there is a problem with their SMTP server.

P.S. even the email test button within ConnectWise portal results sometimes in a timeout

Edited by user Tuesday, January 29, 2019 10:19:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

evputten  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2019 12:21:50 PM(UTC)
evputten

Medals: ScreenConnect Advisor: Focus Group MemberLevel 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Netherlands

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hi Ron,

Just to let you know, they Email Test button always works for me using the internal SMTP server.
It offcourse depends if you are using a hosted or an on-premise server.
We are using the on-premise version.
Ron van Elteren  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2019 1:06:57 PM(UTC)
Ron van Elteren

Netherlands

Originally Posted by: evputten Go to Quoted Post
Hi Ron,

Just to let you know, they Email Test button always works for me using the internal SMTP server.
It offcourse depends if you are using a hosted or an on-premise server.
We are using the on-premise version.

We are using the hosted server, regardless it should work as this is a feature of the application.

Ron van Elteren  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 1, 2019 12:08:13 PM(UTC)
Ron van Elteren

Netherlands

To inform anyone who encounter the same problem :

Indeed the ConnectWise standard SMTP server is causing the issue.
After installing the extention "Advanced SMTP settings" and configuring our Office 365 SMTP server, the problem seems to be gone.
Now each time the customer receives an email when we're connected to their server and another email when we left their server.