logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jake  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2015 9:52:16 PM(UTC)
Jake

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

Was thanked: 393 time(s) in 188 post(s)
Soon we're probably going to make the switch for our all of our files from Elsinore.ScreenConnect.* to just ScreenConnect.* ... We should have done this long ago, but with the acquisition, now it's just wrong for Elsinore to be there.

Who's referencing file names directly? What are you referencing them for?

Also we'll want .NET namespaces to change. That could be even worse if we can't manage backwards compatibility....
ScreenConnect Team
lpopejoy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 28, 2015 9:29:27 AM(UTC)
lpopejoy

Medals: Level 2: Lent a Helping Hand! 10 Thanks!

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Can we take this oppprtunity to make those file names, service name, and program name customizable with our own information?

To answer your question, I can't think of anything we directly reference the file names for.
omgoozles  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 28, 2015 6:33:55 PM(UTC)
omgoozles

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jake Go to Quoted Post
Soon we're probably going to make the switch for our all of our files from Elsinore.ScreenConnect.* to just ScreenConnect.* ... We should have done this long ago, but with the acquisition, now it's just wrong for Elsinore to be there.

Also we'll want .NET namespaces to change. That could be even worse if we can't manage backwards compatibility....

Not me. I create custom builds for all my clients and store them on their respective servers. I never leave them at their default names.
austinarbour  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 1, 2015 12:09:39 AM(UTC)
austinarbour

Plus one on this!!!

Originally Posted by: lpopejoy Go to Quoted Post
Can we take this oppprtunity to make those file names, service name, and program name customizable with our own information?

To answer your question, I can't think of anything we directly reference the file names for.

Dnssandbox  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 1, 2015 7:48:19 PM(UTC)
Dnssandbox

Another +1

Originally Posted by: austinarbour Go to Quoted Post
Plus one on this!!!

dwmcclung  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 2, 2015 3:11:43 PM(UTC)
dwmcclung

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jake Go to Quoted Post

Yes please. The Elsinore name kind of throws people when downloading the client in Chrome.
NJH.siii  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2015 4:05:13 PM(UTC)
NJH.siii

Medals: Bug Buster Level One: Spoon!Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)

I agree whole heartedly!
I've just installed a trial version - it looks very promising. But any reference to someone other than me or my business is very disconcerting for the customer. It is crucial to be able to fully customise the Program and filenames with our own identities. It would be really nice to be able to apply our own colours, themes & icons as well (although this may already be possible - I did tell you I was new to this).
Nigel
FAB-ITRescue
AdamTCS  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2015 10:59:40 PM(UTC)
AdamTCS

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
We also struggle with the very confusing "Elsinore" name and the less confusing, but nevertheless still confusing "Screen Connect" name when having to explain their meaning to our clients. I give a big +1 to the ability to easily customize all identifying characteristics of the client programs. The following is an example of what we would desire for some of the characteristics, existing first, desired second. We would also like to be able to use our own icons for the client programs. I realize that some of this customization might already be possible, but in either case, +1 for maximizing it. This example is from an unattended installation. Customization of the attended version would be even more important to us.

Service Name
ScreenConnect Client (2eb4a3770fcc0ff3)
TCS Remote Support Client

Executable Path
C:\Program Files (x86)\ScreenConnect Client (2eb4a3770fcc0ff3)\Elsinore.ScreenConnect.ClientService.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\TCS Remote Support Client\TcsRemoteSupportClientService.exe

Add / Remove Programs Name
ScreenConnect Client (2eb4a3770fcc0ff3)
TCS Remote Support Client

Add / Remove Programs Publisher
Elsinore Technologies, Inc.
TCS

Also, to address the original question about "how will this affect everyone", we do have a number of instances where we have written scripts on client machines that automatically restart the client service at certain intervals to deal with the inability of the client program to reliably re-establish a connection to the server after an interruption in network connectivity. Since those scripts reference the service name, this change might break that functionality for us, if the service name changes.

Edited by user Tuesday, March 3, 2015 11:04:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

mjohnsonsc  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 5, 2015 9:45:36 PM(UTC)
mjohnsonsc

United States

We reference the default name given to the client installer in a few batch files used for deploying during our onboarding.

Regarding the ability to customize file/service/application names, that would be a very welcomed addition that, both, we and our customers would appreciate greatly.
Jeff  
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 5, 2015 10:00:08 PM(UTC)
Jeff

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

Man

Was thanked: 156 time(s) in 122 post(s)
Thanks for the feedback. We can certainly take the requests for changing the service name separately but the goal here was to determine if removing Elsinore from the name would cause any issues. Having your company name in front of customers is certainly important which is why we support logo, icon, client file name, and a few other customization paths. The service name is a bit tougher because of all the places it is referenced in the code today. Nothing is impossible but its certainly not something that will change with 5.2 or 5.3 as we remove the Elsinore name.
ScreenConnect Team
laptopcomputer  
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 5, 2015 10:01:33 PM(UTC)
laptopcomputer

+1
solutionssquad  
#12 Posted : Monday, March 9, 2015 7:34:20 PM(UTC)
solutionssquad

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
+1

NJH.siii  
#13 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2015 3:58:46 PM(UTC)
NJH.siii

Medals: Bug Buster Level One: Spoon!Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Adam @ TCS nailed this one!

It's exactly where he says that we need our identity. Another +1 here.

Incidentally, strikes me that anyone who has written scripts referencing "Elsinore" can very easily re-write to suit when the time comes just so long as they are given notice; so please don't view as an obstacle.

Regards
Nigel
Nigel
FAB-ITRescue
mike.jones  
#14 Posted : Thursday, June 28, 2018 8:01:58 AM(UTC)
mike.jones

United States

What came of the request to make file names, service name, and program name customizable with our own information?
I seem to remember in the early days of ScreenConnect (we started using at my old job around 2013) we could do this, but I don't see where it is possible anymore.

-Mike
deecater  
#15 Posted : Friday, June 29, 2018 1:46:38 PM(UTC)
deecater

Medals: ScreenConnect Advisor: Focus Group Member

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mike.jones Go to Quoted Post
What came of the request to make file names, service name, and program name customizable with our own information?
I seem to remember in the early days of ScreenConnect (we started using at my old job around 2013) we could do this, but I don't see where it is possible anymore.

-Mike

You can change the file names and application title on the Appearance page. We can't change the service names at this time, but we are investigating ways to make this happen securely.

To change the file name, look for the FileDownload.BaseName resource string in the list of web resources. To change the application title, look for the ApplicationTitle resource string in the list of application resources.

https://docs.connectwise..._of_web_resource_strings
https://docs.connectwise...ication_resource_strings
mike.jones  
#16 Posted : Friday, August 3, 2018 2:56:57 AM(UTC)
mike.jones

United States

Originally Posted by: deecater Go to Quoted Post

-Mike

You can change the file names and application title on the Appearance page. We can't change the service names at this time, but we are investigating ways to make this happen securely.

To change the file name, look for the FileDownload.BaseName resource string in the list of web resources. To change the application title, look for the ApplicationTitle resource string in the list of application resources.

https://docs.connectwise..._of_web_resource_strings
https://docs.connectwise...ication_resource_strings

Thank you for that info deecater.
I noticed the folder where our files are transferred to is a custom name also, but I can't for the life of me see where I edit that.

-Mike
Michael L  
#17 Posted : Friday, August 3, 2018 12:06:47 PM(UTC)
Michael L

Man
United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Thank you for that info deecater.
I noticed the folder where our files are transferred to is a custom name also, but I can't for the life of me see where I edit that.

-Mike

This is the ApplicationTitle on the Admin > Appearance page. As it's a client-side setting, you'll need to reinstall the clients. :)
ConnectWise Control (ScreenConnect) Support Team