logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bartman12345  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 10:05:33 AM(UTC)
Bartman12345

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Ever since the ScreenConnect server became available for Linux I have been trying to install it on a Raspberry Pi, without success. I know it may be a longshot, but has anyone else managed to do this? On my Pi running Raspbian I can get the server installer to run through to completion, it appears to satisfy all the requirements (ie. Mono). However, upon starting the service it does not respond correctly to client connections, although "netstat -a" shows it to be listening on the appropriate port.

I don't know whether this is viable or not, but it seemed like an interesting thing to try... any pointers or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bartman12345
bigdessert  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2013 9:47:40 AM(UTC)
bigdessert

Medals: ScreenConnect Advisor: Focus Group MemberLevel 3: Shirt off your back! Received 25 Thanks!

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 32 post(s)
I know it's doable as Jake showed a demo of it a while back running on rasbian. Maybe he can chime in with whats wrong.
Bartman12345  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 7:23:06 AM(UTC)
Bartman12345

That is interesting, I would like very much to know how he achieved this. The linux version of the server does not appear to have any other dependencies apart from a working version of Mono and the packages it downloads and installs automatically as part of the install process, which makes me think this should be possible provided the compatibility of Mono on the Pi is up to scratch. However, when I have attempted this, I try to connect to localhost on port 8040 in a browser and it says it cannot connect.

Today I downloaded the latest Raspbian image (2013-02-09-wheezy-raspbian.img), installed Mono ("apt-get install mono-complete") and ran the latest version of the linux installer (ScreenConnect_3.2.4415.4843_Release.tar.gz) on it. Once again, the install seemed to go OK. I got a different result than before, this time it got stuck on this message -

"Waiting on signal that services have started..."

- which is where it stayed. Bringing up a list of running processes confirmed that the server was indeed not running. This is a worse result than my other attempts with earlier versions of Raspbian and ScreenConnect where the server did appear in the process list.

If someone has got this working, please fill me in... it would be very handy to use a low power device like the Pi as a ScreenConnect server.

Edited by user Tuesday, April 23, 2013 7:27:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jake  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 7:59:00 AM(UTC)
Jake

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

Was thanked: 393 time(s) in 188 post(s)
You don't need mono installed, as we bundle that now. We use a version of mono compiled on a beaglebone (to which bigdessert referred), so it's compiled under armv7. Rasberry Pis are armv6. I couldn't get a build environment together on a rasberry pi to do the mono compile, and my research showed there were a lot of difficulties in doing so. Lots of issues with soft vs hard floating points, and I didn't feel like learning all about that when the next arm generation (already on a lot of dev boards and phones) doesn't have these particular issues.

The new beaglebone blacks are pretty sweet: http://beagleboard.org/Products/BeagleBone+Black/ ... very fast for only 45$
ScreenConnect Team
Jake  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:00:31 AM(UTC)
Jake

You may want to check the /var/log/screenconnect file. It may contain some clues that could save you. The compile isn't necessarily incompatible with ARMv6 just because it was compiled on ARMv7 ..
ScreenConnect Team
Bartman12345  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 9:40:23 PM(UTC)
Bartman12345

Thanks for your replies. I can see how pre-compiled Mono binaries for different architectures will not work with the Pi, but I do understand the advantages of including them in the installer for the architectures that are supported. I still feel that it should be possible to get the server running using Mono as installed from the Raspbian repositories, since dotnet (and by extension, Mono) is just a runtime environment and as such should be platform agnostic... a bit like how Java works, where the JRE is a known quantity allowing Java applications to be cross platform with little to no alteration.

I'm guessing that Mono might not be quite such a known quantity as the JRE, and that this is the reason for its inclusion in the installer. If I have time I will keep on trying to get it working, if I have any luck I will certainly report back.

I did notice that a certain rival Remote Support product has made it "simple" to run their server on the Pi... as a paid up (and satisfied) ScreenConnect customer I won't be switching any time soon, however if I was a new customer weighing up the options, I'd find the Pi compatibility pretty compelling, all other things being equal. Of course, that may just be because I'm a self confessed Pi-ophile, and not representative of the market in general ;)

As for the BeagleBone Black, I had not heard of this before and having checked it out, it certainly looks like an impressive piece of kit, especially at such a crazy low price-point! Thanks for the link.

Bartman12345
Jake  
#7 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 10:18:03 PM(UTC)
Jake

http://forum.screenconne...-out-our-new-server.aspx

We started messing with the BeagleBone because we were waiting for our Raspberry Pi to arrive. No one much seemed interested on using these dev boards as servers as you can see from the zero responses to that thread. So I still have a Raspberry Pi sitting on my desk, never booted. I never got around to getting a SD card for it. The BeagleBones I think are much better for ScreenConnect. Speed matters with these things.

Mono and Java really have two different types of binaries for the framework:

1. The platform native executable that contains the bytecode interpreter, the JIT, debuggability runtime, and some native implementations of stuff that needs to be fast c code.
2. Platform independent bytecode libraries that provide functionality for GUI, networking, and all of the other types of stuff needed in a framework

For #1 we have a file mono_* that gets copied as App_Runtime/bin/mono ... It's about a 3mb file. This is specific for each instruction set and OS ABI. If we had an ARMv6 or earlier board that would compile mono, we could provide the binary, but I know Raspberry Pi's won't compile mono without a bunch of hassle, and I don't have any other ARM boards. As for #2, all of our files under App_Runtime/lib will work with it just fine.

I'd get a beaglebone black. It seems much more powerful for a similar price, and it includes onboard storage.
ScreenConnect Team
FrogDog  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 21, 2013 11:20:50 AM(UTC)
FrogDog

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Jake wrote:
http://forum.screenconnect.com/yaf_postsm4349_Check-out-our-new-server.aspx

We started messing with the BeagleBone because we were waiting for our Raspberry Pi to arrive. No one much seemed interested on using these dev boards as servers as you can see from the zero responses to that thread. So I still have a Raspberry Pi sitting on my desk, never booted. I never got around to getting a SD card for it. The BeagleBones I think are much better for ScreenConnect. Speed matters with these things.

Mono and Java really have two different types of binaries for the framework:

1. The platform native executable that contains the bytecode interpreter, the JIT, debuggability runtime, and some native implementations of stuff that needs to be fast c code.
2. Platform independent bytecode libraries that provide functionality for GUI, networking, and all of the other types of stuff needed in a framework

For #1 we have a file mono_* that gets copied as App_Runtime/bin/mono ... It's about a 3mb file. This is specific for each instruction set and OS ABI. If we had an ARMv6 or earlier board that would compile mono, we could provide the binary, but I know Raspberry Pi's won't compile mono without a bunch of hassle, and I don't have any other ARM boards. As for #2, all of our files under App_Runtime/lib will work with it just fine.

I'd get a beaglebone black. It seems much more powerful for a similar price, and it includes onboard storage.

I am one of those people that have been watching Raspberry Pi and beaglebone board development. I am highly interested in a cheap server that is fanless, and ultra low power but enough power to run my applications.

my 3 applications:

1 Web cam security 1 usb webcam
1 Screenconnect server 1 concurrent connection
1 Bitcoin Mining BFL 5gh single. Stratum Network using EasyMiner or BFGminer.

Not sure how far I could push the beaglebone But I think 1 doing all 3 would struggle somehow.
RADRaze2KX  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2013 1:40:42 AM(UTC)
RADRaze2KX

Man
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Any additional info on this? This would be a fantastic way for me to save loads on electric bills. Currently, I have my server set to wakeup at business open. I was going to set my RPi to work as a WOL drone to wake it up as necessary, but if it could be the server, that would be phenomenal!
My How-To's:
Restrict A User's Access to Certain Computers: Forum Search (Posts) "25422"
PaulHood  
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2014 3:38:06 PM(UTC)
PaulHood

United Kingdom

+1 for a Raspberry Pi - arm6. as Pi hosting is as little as €36 per year!
PaulHood  
#11 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2014 4:00:07 PM(UTC)
PaulHood

United Kingdom

Raspberry Pi

For those that will try - This is what I got:

1. 2014-06-20-wheezy-raspbian.img
2. sudo apt-get update
3. sudo apt-get upgrade
(i. second time I did try also, ii. sudo apt-get install mono-complete)
4. wget -O sc.tar.gz "http://www.screenconnect.com/Download?Action=DownloadLatest&Platform=Linux&PreRelease=false"
5. tar xzf sc.tar.gz
6. $(find . -name install.sh)

7. ...

./ScreenConnect_4.4.7175.5302_Install/install.sh: line 287: 9590 Illegal instruction mono Xsl.exe "/opt/screenconnect/App_ClientConfig/Elsinore.ScreenConnect.Client.resx" Elsinore.ScreenConnect.Client.resx.xsl "/opt/screenconnect/App_ClientConfig/Elsinore.ScreenConnect.Client.resx" oldVersion=4.4 "defaultResxPath=/opt/screenconnect/App_GlobalResources/Default.resx"
./ScreenConnect_4.4.7175.5302_Install/install.sh: line 287: 9591 Illegal instruction mono Xsl.exe "/opt/screenconnect/web.config" web.config.xsl "/opt/scre enconnect/web.config" configuration=Release platform=Mono
./ScreenConnect_4.4.7175.5302_Install/install.sh: line 287: 9592 Illegal instruction mono Xsl.exe "/opt/screenconnect/App_GlobalResources/Default.resx" Default.resx.xsl "/opt/screenconnect/App_GlobalResources/Default.resx" oldVersion=4.4
./ScreenConnect_4.4.7175.5302_Install/install.sh: line 287: 9593 Illegal instruction mono Xsl.exe "/opt/screenconnect/App_Data/SessionGroup.xml" SessionGroup.xml.xsl "/opt/screenconnect/App_Data/SessionGroup.xml"
./ScreenConnect_4.4.7175.5302_Install/install.sh: line 287: 9594 Illegal instruction mono Xsl.exe "/opt/screenconnect/App_Data/Role.xml" Role.xml.xsl "/opt/screenconnect/App_Data/Role.xml" oldVersion=4.4

Running 'Start screenconnect service'...

Installation complete!

Trying to figure out the best URL for you to use...

To access your new ScreenConnect installation, open a browser and navigate to:

End...
Alexander  
#12 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2014 4:26:31 PM(UTC)
Alexander

Medals: Level 3: Shirt off your back! Received 25 Thanks!

Man

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 63 post(s)
Yeah, it's not going to work without a compatible mono executable, and compiling one for armv6 still seems like too much of a hassle, like Jake said in his post earlier in the thread.
ScreenConnect Team
PaulHood  
#13 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2014 4:29:05 PM(UTC)
PaulHood

United Kingdom

Just as its the weekend I have left the Pi building a mono as per instructions
http://neildanson.wordpr...raspberry-pi-hard-float/
hnizdo  
#14 Posted : Friday, June 5, 2015 11:04:28 AM(UTC)
hnizdo

Czech Republic

Originally Posted by: PaulHood Go to Quoted Post
Raspberry Pi

For those that will try - This is what I got:

1. 2014-06-20-wheezy-raspbian.img
2. sudo apt-get update
3. sudo apt-get upgrade
(i. second time I did try also, ii. sudo apt-get install mono-complete)
4. wget -O sc.tar.gz "http://www.screenconnect.com/Download?Action=DownloadLatest&Platform=Linux&PreRelease=false"
5. tar xzf sc.tar.gz
6. $(find . -name install.sh)

7. ...

./ScreenConnect_4.4.7175.5302_Install/install.sh: line 287: 9590 Illegal instruction mono Xsl.exe "/opt/screenconnect/App_ClientConfig/Elsinore.ScreenConnect.Client.resx" Elsinore.ScreenConnect.Client.resx.xsl "/opt/screenconnect/App_ClientConfig/Elsinore.ScreenConnect.Client.resx" oldVersion=4.4 "defaultResxPath=/opt/screenconnect/App_GlobalResources/Default.resx"
./ScreenConnect_4.4.7175.5302_Install/install.sh: line 287: 9591 Illegal instruction mono Xsl.exe "/opt/screenconnect/web.config" web.config.xsl "/opt/scre enconnect/web.config" configuration=Release platform=Mono
./ScreenConnect_4.4.7175.5302_Install/install.sh: line 287: 9592 Illegal instruction mono Xsl.exe "/opt/screenconnect/App_GlobalResources/Default.resx" Default.resx.xsl "/opt/screenconnect/App_GlobalResources/Default.resx" oldVersion=4.4
./ScreenConnect_4.4.7175.5302_Install/install.sh: line 287: 9593 Illegal instruction mono Xsl.exe "/opt/screenconnect/App_Data/SessionGroup.xml" SessionGroup.xml.xsl "/opt/screenconnect/App_Data/SessionGroup.xml"
./ScreenConnect_4.4.7175.5302_Install/install.sh: line 287: 9594 Illegal instruction mono Xsl.exe "/opt/screenconnect/App_Data/Role.xml" Role.xml.xsl "/opt/screenconnect/App_Data/Role.xml" oldVersion=4.4

Running 'Start screenconnect service'...

Installation complete!

Trying to figure out the best URL for you to use...

To access your new ScreenConnect installation, open a browser and navigate to:

End...

Hello, I would like to resurrect this thread.

Raspberry model B.

I did all steps above with mono-complete install above.
Mono version 3.2.8 reports arch. armel,vfp+hard.

Installation proceeded exactly like above, sc service is running, but I connect to it. SC service log is zero byte / empty.

Can somebody help me with this? thnx..
PaulHood  
#15 Posted : Friday, June 5, 2015 12:07:33 PM(UTC)
PaulHood

United Kingdom

Hi hnizdo,

I gave up with the idea of using the 'Raspberry Pi Model B/B+'.
I have never got around to trying the 'Raspberry Pi 2 Model B'.

I have seen it work on a 'Beagle Bone Black' but not personally have tried it.
With this information is could work on the 'Raspberry Pi 2 Model B'.

My intention was to host our Raspberry Pi in a Raspberry Pi data center for very low cost.
I ended up hosting it on Microsoft Azure as a virtual server instance.

I hope one day someone smarter than myself will create an image for Raspberry Pi 2 or Beagle Bone Black.

Regards,
hnizdo  
#16 Posted : Friday, June 5, 2015 3:37:27 PM(UTC)
hnizdo

Czech Republic

Do development team have some ideas?

I see great potential to make it work on Raspberry, powered directly from router board... Including FTP, webserver...
Alexander  
#17 Posted : Friday, June 5, 2015 5:06:53 PM(UTC)
Alexander

Man

Well, if you want to use the mono you installed, you can remove/comment out the exported variables in /etc/init.d/screenconnect:
Code:
export PATH="$screenconnectPath/App_Runtime/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin"
export MONO_PATH="$screenconnectPath/App_Runtime/lib"
export MONO_CFG_DIR="$screenconnectPath/App_Runtime/etc"
export XDG_CONFIG_HOME="$screenconnectPath/App_Runtime/etc"
export MONO_XMLSERIALIZER_THS=no

We've made a number of changes to our mono, though, so I don't know how well that would work.

There's another thread about running SC on a Raspberry Pi 2, which doesn't have the armv6 problem but did run into an issue with hard floating point. I believe you could get around that by using a different OS (e.g., debian instead of raspbian), but to my knowledge no one's tried that yet.
ScreenConnect Team
hnizdo  
#18 Posted : Friday, June 5, 2015 6:18:23 PM(UTC)
hnizdo

Czech Republic

Unfortunatelly no success

screenconnect service log
Omnicef  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2015 2:52:09 PM(UTC)
Omnicef

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Fortunately there is a much easier way to do this. It DOES cost a little bit more than a Pi, but not too much in the scheme of things. I use this as my SC server. http://www.amazon.com/EC...sr=8-2&keywords=liva

I am running ubuntu on it, and it only uses 4 watts of power (measured with a Kill-a-Watt). I have about 200 unattended PCs relaying off of it and it is pretty much just idling.
chriswe  
#20 Posted : Monday, August 3, 2015 8:00:36 PM(UTC)
chriswe

United States

I'm incredibly late to the game but I have managed to get this working pretty easy with the following.

using Rasbian as the OS I downloaded the client from our regular server login https site in the deb format ran sudo dpkg -i FILENAME
the only issue we had was getting it to start on boot, all I changed to resolve this is boot to desktop

Seriously this is a great solution after a few hours of working on it.

IAmKale  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2015 5:05:21 AM(UTC)
IAmKale

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: chriswe Go to Quoted Post
I'm incredibly late to the game but I have managed to get this working pretty easy with the following.

using Rasbian as the OS I downloaded the client from our regular server login https site in the deb format ran sudo dpkg -i FILENAME
the only issue we had was getting it to start on boot, all I changed to resolve this is boot to desktop

Seriously this is a great solution after a few hours of working on it.

This sounds as though you're talking about installing the ScreenConnect client. It most definitely isn't that easy to get the ScreenConnect server installed on a Pi, and I'm speaking from experience :(
expphoto  
#22 Posted : Saturday, February 27, 2016 4:13:02 AM(UTC)
expphoto

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Do we have an update on this? I've got the Pi 2 and am running into the same mono issues. Was there a resolution I missed for the server?
expphoto  
#23 Posted : Saturday, February 27, 2016 4:13:44 AM(UTC)
expphoto

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Do we have an update on this? I've got the Pi 2 and am running into the same mono issues. Was there a resolution I missed for the server?
Alexander  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, March 1, 2016 6:16:23 PM(UTC)
Alexander

Man

I'm afraid not; we've got a couple bugs registered related to raspberry pi servers, but they're not terribly high priority at the moment.
ScreenConnect Team
LightAngel  
#25 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2018 10:23:52 PM(UTC)
LightAngel

United States

Any updates to this thread?

I've got a Raspberry Pi 3 (arm7) that I'd love to run ScreenConnect on.